You're playing it wrong - but you enjoyed it anyway

Randomsense

New Challenger
I didn't realize until recently that there was a gameplay difference between some of the male/female versions of the characters in Dungeons & Dragons Chronicles of Mystara.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
I played Punch Out a long time without knowing why sometimes you got stars when hitting your opponent. It was only recently (relatively speaking) that I learned about pressing START.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
My brother played the first level of donkey Kong for half an hour before he realized that you could jump.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I'm a big fan of Makaimura and lost a ton of Deutsch Marks on that sucker, got pretty good at it, too. When the sequel came along, I was delirious, but it seemed to be even harder than the last time. Yeah... till I realized, that you could now throw your weaponries in two more directions: up & down. They say that old habits die hard, but I accustomed myself so quick to this marvelous upgrade, that I could't ever beat the prequel now. Well, I guess the word 'happiness' would lose its meaning if it was not balanced by sadness ;).

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I've been thinking about this for awhile and I have to say Armored Core. I love those games and played the hell out of them but was never really that good at it and my AC designs never worked right.

Mendel

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
For years I didn´t realize there was a second page of weapons in the megaman 2 weapon select menu.

Mac91

I wonder if anyone saved my dickpic?
10 Year Member
I had no idea how to open doors in Goldeneye 007. I got to the first gate on the Dam level, and I used to shoot from one watchtower to another just to attract a guard's attention. Then he'd run over and open the gates. It took me months to open the manual and find out.

mannion

n00b
I'd been playing KOF for a fair amount of time when I realised you could hop/jump/leap. Prior to that I was always jumping in with a kick to initiate everything like bad SF players always do (Me too at the time).

Good fun to punish someone who plays like that over and over again with any kind of vertical dragon punch of flash kick type move lol.

When I decided to up my game and stop doing that in SF and discovered the hop in KOF I got a lot better very quickly.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
For years I didn´t realize there was a second page of weapons in the megaman 2 weapon select menu.

There is no face palm epic enough for this.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Here's a recent one... been playing Stahlfeder on the PS1, a small STG from Santos, an equally small company, which had Akio Inoue on board as a selling point. He's the founder of Aicom, the fathers of Viewpoint & Pulstar.

Well, I chose a plane and got started right away. Levels were short, but my main weapon so weak, that I was only able to kill popcorn enemies. Everything bigger had to be circumvented. The boss battles were vast in length, probably two times that of a level. It was fun and quite challenging... till I realized, that there was a secondary weapon, a laser, so overpowered, it took anything out within seconds. Game Over man.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
In Dark Arms I refused to betray Caso to Raison for the longest time... I caught every monster I could twice, still he did not want to let me go to the Fate Tower... well, loyalty did not pay off there.

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
Never knew you could shoot faster in Cabal by rapidly tapping the button rather than holding it down for the in-game autofire. Just found that out this year, real game changer.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Yeah, back in the day I took the awfully flawed Space Harrier II auto fire for granted. Beat the game a year later after discovering what a little tapping could do. Good thing I did it back then in 1989, now the frame rate just makes it unplayable.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
as a teenager i never used the light and medium attacks in fighting games light street fighter and king of fighters.only heavy attacks because of the extra damage,and always wondered why i was never able to pull off a good combo like other people can.

I used to argue with my friends all the time about that lol! "Why the fuck don't you use medium!?"

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Yeah, back in the day I took the awfully flawed Space Harrier II auto fire for granted. Beat the game a year later after discovering what a little tapping could do. Good thing I did it back then in 1989, now the frame rate just makes it unplayable.

I wish for a remake of that game on better hardware. And by better hardware I mean the Dual 68000 board set.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
A recent game would be Valkyria Chronicles. Every few missions or so, I would discover I was playing it wrong/not taking advantage of really good stats.

The Shock Troopers Flame Thrower is super OP
Orders are extremely useful
Sometimes its better to not use all of your turn points. They carry over
Using engineers to replenish ammunition.

I either ignored or misunderstood most of those things and didn't realize the full potential till way late in the game.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I wish for a remake of that game on better hardware. And by better hardware I mean the Dual 68000 board set.

SEGA should implement this idea into their requirement list while recruiting new coders. They sure would like the challenge, as sure as we would love the rom afterwards.

Vigormortis

Armored Scrum Object
In Rad Racer, I wondered why my car was such a slow piece of shit. I didn't realize you had to hold up on the D-pad to drive faster.

When I first got Super Mario World, my jumps lacked the height to get over many obstacles.
I later learned that I didn't have to use the spin jump all the time.

In Final Fantasy III (actually VI), I ditched Shadow on the floating continent. After over 20 years, my savegame is still intact to remind me of this.

Last edited:

FinalbossNYC

Zero's Tailor
Im a Huge Hokuto no Ken fan aka Fist of the Northstar, so when the dynasty warriors style game came out on the J360 I imported the Treasure box edition one immediately.
Not being one for walkthroughs or cheats I sat down and played the game in the main story mode with no internet help when I got to the end of the game i Tried to beat the lass Boss "Raoh" for 3 nights straight probably losing to him 5 times each night till I finally beat him. A year later the US version came out and I scooped it up to play through again and quickly realized that there was an RPG element and that I was supposed to be leveling up my characters Strength, moves,health,speed, and special moves which are basically one hit kill moves. I had then realized I beat the Japanese version with a level one character armed with only determination and love for the series.

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
I have to second Armored Core, because I loved the graphics, but I couldn't build a badass bot to save my ass.