You're playing it wrong - but you enjoyed it anyway

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Im a Huge Hokuto no Ken fan aka Fist of the Northstar, so when the dynasty warriors style game came out on the J360 I imported the Treasure box edition one immediately.
Not being one for walkthroughs or cheats I sat down and played the game in the main story mode with no internet help when I got to the end of the game i Tried to beat the lass Boss "Raoh" for 3 nights straight probably losing to him 5 times each night till I finally beat him. A year later the US version came out and I scooped it up to play through again and quickly realized that there was an RPG element and that I was supposed to be leveling up my characters Strength, moves,health,speed, and special moves which are basically one hit kill moves. I had then realized I beat the Japanese version with a level one character armed with only determination and love for the series.
Hah, that's awesome.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
ESP Galuda 2 second awakening form...like really WTF?! It's on the demo and it's clearly evident but I never quite get down with it...I haven't actually sat down with this mechanic yet in order to figure it out but I feel like I'm missing something big here.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
Double Dragon 2 (NES)

I can't tell you how long I played that as a kid thinking my controller must be broken or something was wrong with the game, and for some reason sheer observation of how the controls worked didn't kick in. I just played the game thinking the controls may switch on me at any time, and dealt with it.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
For a short but decisive time I played Enduro Racer on the Master System in an odd way: I always tried to make a quick detour round the mounds believing that jumping just slows you down too much. Right until I realized that it's actually the other way round: It gives you a nice boost, makes the track dramatically shorter & your run faster by a mile... just a matter of timing. Needless to say, the difficulty turned from a fierce Husqvarna FE 250 to a tame three wheeler in no time...

DragonmasterDan

King's Dry Cleaner
I would play Meteos on Nintendo DS and just wildly scribble the stylus across the screen with no particular rhyme or reason. This proved to be a surprisingly effective strategy.

I don't know how I missed it, but it was quite a game-changer for me when, a good bit of the way into Demon's Souls, I figured out you could actually sprint.

Mendel

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
in Final Fantasy VIII I could not find a way to land the university after it started flying. I was stuck on the map screen with a flying university. In those days there was no internet walkthroughs and none of the gaming magazines I had covered playstation games. I never got past that and gave up with the game, never got back to it. I did like it until that point though :)

I was supposed to review that game for a local magazine too but I never did that either since at that time I thought I had to finish a game before I could review it.

Last edited:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Airgrave, another SANTOS game, another false assumption... thought the game had autofire, so I held that button pushed down and griped about that lame blow out of bullets in what otherwise is a great & underappreciated lil' shooter. Till I discovered that you ought to tap in order to get the full blast. My first "method" made for a quite stunning difficulty and now I nearly finished it.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
I didn't know tapping was faster in Thunderforce 3 until recently either.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I didn't know tapping was faster in Thunderforce 3 until recently either.

What? Really??? But which one, console or AC? Anyway, I'll check my console version later, but here's another interesting TFIII info: There's a huge difficulty difference between the US/EU bios and the Japanese one. You can blast through the whole game effortlessly on mania on non-Japanese bioses, because all enemies only take half the shots you'll need shoot on them playing on a Japanese MD. All those scores on the shmups-forum don't acknowledge this fact. On a Japanese bios you'll have trouble to reach beyond 6 600 000 for sure.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
It's for sure true in AC, don't know about console.

DefRussian

n00b
wasn't me, but I remember reading a blog about a dude who played Pokemon as a kid who didn't really understand the concept of it, so he just continued to battle local pokemon. He maxed out whatever pokemon he had without ever leaving the first few areas. lol.

That's awesome hahahaha