You're playing it wrong - but you enjoyed it anyway

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
Any games you completely missed substantial gameplay elements of for years on end? And enjoyed it anyway?

I liked the Technos beat-em-up Shadow Force. I like beatemups with a block, and I liked that the default difficulty level was manageable to get far without feeling like you were being cheap (no need to jump kick, rinse, repeat).

I was checking out some ebay auctions and came across a Shadow Force bezel. It had a chart describing the 6 button layout. 6 buttons? I went to youtube to check out a longplay, and sure enough there was a whole aspect of the game I was missing - you could turn into other enemies (along with an extra punch and kick). That made the VS. fighting minigames between stages make a lot more thematic sense, as well as the end battle.

Even KLOV has it listed as a 3 button game. I wonder if the game's attract mode even featured the bottom 3 buttons, or if it was left out figuring most cabs would only have 3 buttons (if it didn't have a dedicated cab).

Ren-chan

F I R E W A L L, M Y A S S !,
I've been years playing on 3-button arcades for most of the games (snk / capcom), I had to wait for the emu to actually see all the samurai spirits 2 specials that used the D button lol.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Hmm. Probably every shooting game I've ever played that didn't have a nonexistent/crude scoring system.

It had a chart describing the 6 button layout. 6 buttons? I went to youtube to check out a longplay, and sure enough there was a whole aspect of the game I was missing - you could turn into other enemies (along with an extra punch and kick). That made the VS. fighting minigames between stages make a lot more thematic sense, as well as the end battle.

Even KLOV has it listed as a 3 button game. I wonder if the game's attract mode even featured the bottom 3 buttons, or if it was left out figuring most cabs would only have 3 buttons (if it didn't have a dedicated cab).

Every move in the six button world version can be performed on the three button Japan version(s). From what I understand, buttons 4,5,6 are just 1,2,3 + direction inputs.

The transformations are a huge part of the game, but can be performed on any version. I think you'll be shocked at how quickly certain enemies and bosses can be disposed of when the correct character transformations are applied.

Last edited:

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Apparently most fighting games when people get salty online. Especially 3rd Strike.

Seriously though not since I was a little kid and didn't know better. I used to love discovering how to play a game a little at a time. It adds length to playing it.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
Over the years I've seen a lot of people play baseball games even though they don't know the rules to baseball, and you can see that in how they play (especially when it comes to base running). The game still shines through with them, and that's awesome. Sometimes a little artistic flair and a design twist or two for a simple game can break cultural and gender barriers.

celeritas

Mr. Big's Thug
Over the years I've seen a lot of people play baseball games even though they don't know the rules to baseball, and you can see that in how they play (especially when it comes to base running). The game still shines through with them, and that's awesome. Sometimes a little artistic flair and a design twist or two for a simple game can break cultural and gender barriers.

Yea, that sounds like my experience with baseball.

I also never figured out how Duck Hunt worked as a kid. I shot the ducks like everyone else, but I didn't understand the graphical notation at the bottom that tells you how many ducks you needed to shoot in order to pass the round until I was much older. Like 2 decades older.

Last edited:
Ibara-

Was one of my first shootie pcb's and just played it for survival, without giving a single shit about scoring mechanics or rank or anything. When my buddys figured out how I was playing they all told me I was doing it wrong. I tried to completely change my gameplay for scoring and quickly learned I wasnt having fun with it anymore. So fuck them I just kept playing it my way and enjoying it. Just about any other elite shooter I play with close attention payed to scoring mechanics, but I will always play ibara my own fucking way. Suck it chempop.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
as a teenager i never used the light and medium attacks in fighting games light street fighter and king of fighters.only heavy attacks because of the extra damage,and always wondered why i was never able to pull off a good combo like other people can.

Ip Man

15 Year Member
Ibara-

Was one of my first shootie pcb's and just played it for survival, without giving a single shit about scoring mechanics or rank or anything. When my buddys figured out how I was playing they all told me I was doing it wrong. I tried to completely change my gameplay for scoring and quickly learned I wasnt having fun with it anymore. So fuck them I just kept playing it my way and enjoying it. Just about any other elite shooter I play with close attention payed to scoring mechanics, but I will always play ibara my own fucking way. Suck it chempop.

i still need to play ibara.just by watching videos of the game i could tell that i would be playing it just for survival as well:lolz:.

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
as a teenager i never used the light and medium attacks in fighting games light street fighter and king of fighters.only heavy attacks because of the extra damage,and always wondered why i was never able to pull off a good combo like other people can.

yep. this was me too.

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
Fighting games. That's probably why '99 is my favourite King of Fighters and Fatal Fury Special a game that I don't enjoy playing whatsoever.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Ibara-

:lolz:

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Mars Matrix and ESPGaluda for sure. I already loved the games before I even bothered to learn the scoring systems.

Yagyu Jubei

Dodgeball Yakuza
Mars Matrix and ESPGaluda for sure. I already loved the games before I even bothered to learn the scoring systems.

I was actually testing my new Atlona setup for my Dreamcast this weekend and I threw in Mars Matrix and Gigawing 2. I forgot how brutally hard those games were...

I really wished Dimahoo and Progear made it the Dreamcast.

Scott

Edo Express Delivery Guy
The first time I played Final Fantasy 7 when it came out, I didn't even bother learning the materia system and just spammed physical attacks. When things got too tough I just grinded until I could beat whatever boss I was stuck on. I think I leveled up to like 25 before I even got to Junon. Still loved it.

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
wasn't me, but I remember reading a blog about a dude who played Pokemon as a kid who didn't really understand the concept of it, so he just continued to battle local pokemon. He maxed out whatever pokemon he had without ever leaving the first few areas. lol.

Ip Man

15 Year Member
The first time I played Final Fantasy 7 when it came out, I didn't even bother learning the materia system and just spammed physical attacks. When things got too tough I just grinded until I could beat whatever boss I was stuck on. I think I leveled up to like 25 before I even got to Junon. Still loved it.

i think a lot of people had a similar experience with ff7.it was the first rpg for many including my self.i remember friends coming over to check the game out an being amazed at all the xp,materia and special items i had gathered which i had no idea of what those things were lol.

cyriades

Super Spy Agent
I did the same thing mentioned before in fighting games (not using light or medium attacks) until I started reading GamePro and learning how to do proper combos, hah.

cyriades

Super Spy Agent
Here's another I remembered... Street Fighter 2010. Somehow I didn't know about being able to aim your shuts up, and I still finished the game, but it took for fucking ever though, hah.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member

I hate baseball with a passion, but I LOVE Baseball Stars Professional.

Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I didn't know that you could shoot straight forward on the NES version of Gun.Smoke.