Marvelous new fighting game: Uppers

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Man I think EG and I did the same thing. Just didn't click.

Yeah man, I think we all wanted to love it. It had a good premise, the characters seemed cool enough, the art direction was ok even the gameplay wasn't horrid but it just didn't click. Funny how that works.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
so it's a beat em up, not a fighter. from the early pics, i thought it was gong to be a fighter a long the lines of rival schools. but it still looks interesting.

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
well, I understand, same problem I had when I read the title...It's liquid...I don't think he knows the difference...

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
well, I understand, same problem I had when I read the title...It's liquid...I don't think he knows the difference...

I fucking hate fags that do this.

It's a beat'EM up....because you're beating THEM up (aka fighting more than one opponent at once).

By that same token, a 1v1 fighting game would be called a beat'im up or something....Or a "beat'er" up if its one of those weeaboo all girl fighting games that hamsack pillow fuckers jagaff to.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I really don't get the term Beat 'em up, I think it's dumb...even dumber when the Europeans use it to describe a fighting game...lol.

Brawlers, Fighters, two different genres...yes one gave (proper) birth to the other but still 2 very different genres.

Only the baddest call them brawlers, the real bad dudes!

Remember the days before Street Fighter?...

Fakk2

Crossed Swords 2 Bootleg Artist.,
I also assumed it was a 1vs1 fighter, but I love these style fighting games as well. I just wish it was a side scrolling style like Final Fight/Streets of Rage. Either way, it looks like fun, the art is cool, and it might turn out to be worthy of purchase. I hope to see more vids soon. :) Thanks for the heads up, Liquid.

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
From the video I watched, it sorta reminded me of Kenka Banchou: Badass Rumble for PSP. Like, eerily similar in terms of combat.

Jon

Newsdee

Rugal's Thug
I never knew if beat'em up or beat'em all meant the same thing or not. Technically one means you can let enemies go through like in Metal Slug or a shmup... :)

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
this could be ok. not "marvelous" by a long shot though.

Reality Check

World Hero
Is the point of the game is to go around beating up random guys to make the school girls in the background horny?

Shanadria

New Challenger
Something like that

From my point of view its a SOLD for my Vita. It even looks better than KOF 14 xDDDDD

lions3

Igniz's Servent
I really don't get the term Beat 'em up, I think it's dumb.

easy now. easy.

If you say "Beat 'em up". My mind goes back to to Final Fight, Aliens vs Predator, Simpsons, etc. That's what we called them. That's what everyone called them back then. Maybe i'm missing some context for your statement (i'm too lazy to read every post in this thread) but thought I would throw in my random 2 cents.

Also don't forgot everything styled after Capcom 1942 was a "Shoot 'em up". If you visited any arcade on the west coast in the 80's and 90's that's what we called them. Yes maybe the gamer mags called them shooter or brawlers. But people would have looked at you funny saying that in the arcade.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
easy now. easy.

If you say "Beat 'em up". My mind goes back to to Final Fight, Aliens vs Predator, Simpsons, etc. That's what we called them. That's what everyone called them back then. Maybe i'm missing some context for your statement (i'm too lazy to read every post in this thread) but thought I would throw in my random 2 cents.

Also don't forgot everything styled after Capcom 1942 was a "Shoot 'em up". If you visited any arcade on the west coast in the 80's and 90's that's what we called them. Yes maybe the gamer mags called them shooter or brawlers. But people would have looked at you funny saying that in the arcade.

Been calling them beat em ups since I was a kid too. Never heard the term "brawler" used till I started seeing it here.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member

I've always called them "shooters", and not one person has been confused as to what I was talking about.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Anita sarkeesian is gonna have a field day with this shit.... right before the internet has a field day with her.

Wushu badass, Miami coke dealer, and delinquent highschool ruffian are my favs so far.

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
Ugh. One of the worst punching games i've seen.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I've always called them "shooters", and not one person has been confused as to what I was talking about.

They were always shooters. But because FPS playing American bro-jocks hijacked the term shooters, actual shooters are now called shmups by Americans.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
lmao at this game. It seems like sexually assaulting women is the way to increase one's rage gauge. And I guess in this game, rage gauge is called rape gape or molesto-meter. Once maxxed out, you can unleash a big attack on another guy, because like, when you are burying your face in a woman's pussy or tits, suddenly pulling away to have physical contact with a man is a rational response.

lions3

Igniz's Servent
lmao at this game. It seems like sexually assaulting women is the way to increase one's rage gauge. And I guess in this game, rage gauge is called rape gape or molesto-meter. Once maxxed out, you can unleash a big attack on another guy, because like, when you are burying your face in a woman's pussy or tits, suddenly pulling away to have physical contact with a man is a rational response.

well umm... yeah... what he said.

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
was hoping for a fighter, but this games seems interesting enough to give it a try. LMFAO at making smashing the button to make the chicks left their skirts.