Retroarch ported to 3DS, near-perfect Neo Geo emulation achieved

team_andromeda

Armored Scrum Object
http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/nintendo/3ds/

Nightly builds are posted on libretro, and progress and comments seem to be mostly here:

http://gbatemp.net/threads/retroarch-nightly-builds-here.396843/

One of the main devs regularly posts experimental code for users to test, and the most recent finally can load games about the size of Metal Slug 3 and MOTW, running mostly 60fps.

If you have a hacked 3DS you should definitely check it out, the other emulators are coming along quite well with some early PS1 titles running at or near 60fps.

Last edited:

team_andromeda

Armored Scrum Object
Ok, now I really want a 3DS.

I imported a Japanese N3DS and it had an exploitable firmware, but it's all in Japanese. I got it for $100 from a dude in the US, just gotta keep an eye out!
Pros: console is usually cheaper due to being foreign, easier to find on exploitable firmwares
Cons: If you want to have access to legal games/multiplayer/eShop access you'll need another system, but that's more of a con for hacked 3DS's in general, not just Japanese ones.

EDIT: I should say, homebrew runs better on New 3DS systems in general, and it appears to be the focus of future homebrew development due to the power increase over standard 3DS systems.

Last edited:

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
Is it still worth doing to regular 3DSXLs, or will performance be lackluster? I've got homebrew running on a regular 3DSXL, but SNES emulation is pretty spotty, which put me off from trying other emulators.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
Hacked my N3DSXL today and installed Retroarch. So far I have tried a couple of titles on a few of the emulators:
- NES - perfect
- Genesis / Megadrive - perfect
- GB - perfect
- CPS1 Ghouls and Ghosts - perfect
- SNES - perfect

So far, I haven't yet been able to get to work the following systems:
- Neo Geo - I have placed the bios zip file in both the rom folder and the retroarch fba neo folder but am getting a 'cannot find driver' error (tried at least 5-6 games) and the system freezes. Maybe need to try a different rom set. Any suggestions on how to proceed?
- PCE - getting error message when loading rom - 'cannot push null or empty core into into the playlist' and system freezes

All in all though its pretty incredible. The emulators are definitely much better than those which I have tried prior to hacking the system via a R4 Gold Pro card, which as I understand were written with the Nintendo DS in mind.

PS. In case anyone wants to hack their system, I used the below guides:
1) Hack - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7i...bPRy7mrNsQ&annotation_id=annotation_197718961
2) Installing Retroarch - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKXk5GDMmcg&feature=youtu.be
Did this on a system with 10.1.0-27 firmware and it worked first time with no hassles.

Last edited:

beigemore

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
I think they changed something. When I open the web browser it won't let me do anything unless I update the system.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
I think they changed something. When I open the web browser it won't let me do anything unless I update the system.

I installed themehax as per the yt guide so I boot into the homebrew launcher by holding L shoulder button and powering on. Just to be safe I have disabled wifi so as not to get any unwanted updates. Obviously this kind of blocks you from using eshop but content bought so far works fine.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Is there an advantage to emulating on a 3DS rather than an android (or other) device?

Do any 3DS homebrew emulators apply a 3d effect to game layers?

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
Is there an advantage to emulating on a 3DS rather than an android (or other) device?

Do any 3DS homebrew emulators apply a 3d effect to game layers?

I think there is no advantage at all vs e.g. PSP, especially since these emulators are still in the development stage. Moreover on the N3DS having to unscrew the back cover to get to the sd card is a pain. That said, since I dont have a PSP this will do very nicely since it expands the appeal and capabilities of the system. Hoping for some homebrew apps for eg. Movies or music since this part of the system is totally unutilised at present.
As for 3d it woul be interesting to see how the virtual boy emulator comes along as this would be an obvious use for the 3ds hardware.

beigemore

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
I installed themehax as per the yt guide so I boot into the homebrew launcher by holding L shoulder button and powering on. Just to be safe I have disabled wifi so as not to get any unwanted updates. Obviously this kind of blocks you from using eshop but content bought so far works fine.

It's definitely not working anymore as of two days ago.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/browserhax-is-dead-on-9-9-and-up.400930/
https://gbatemp.net/threads/browserhax-is-being-blocked-even-on-older-firmwares.400969/
http://3dbrew.org/wiki/Internet_Browser#Forced_system-update

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
Thats why it was recommended to install themehax from the outset to avoid going through the browser to access homebrew launcher. For those who have a hacked system with themehacks installed it might be an idea to turn off wireless and delete all stored wireless networks to be on the safe side.

beigemore

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
Thats why it was recommended to install themehax from the outset to avoid going through the browser to access homebrew launcher. For those who have a hacked system with themehacks installed it might be an idea to turn off wireless and delete all stored wireless networks to be on the safe side.

Not trying to argue or anything, but the installation instructions for themehax that you linked to requires that you go to a website on your 3ds in order to get the installation to work. Following those instructions no longer works. The web browser issue came up a few days after your original post, so saying it's recommended to not go through the web browser is very moot at this point.

Anyhow, you can supposedly get the themehax installer to work through your web browser in 9.2 through 10.1 firmware if you have not tried to open the web browser yet. Opening the browser does some kind of mini auto-update to the browser itself which then says you can't use the browser because you need a firmware update. From what I've read, you can change your DNS to the youtubehax dns settings, which will block the 3ds software/firmware check from connecting when you launch the browser, and then you can do the installation of themehax. If you've already opened your browser and gotten the message about needing to update, you are sol at the moment.

team_andromeda

Armored Scrum Object
Hacked my N3DSXL today and installed Retroarch. So far I have tried a couple of titles on a few of the emulators:
- NES - perfect
- Genesis / Megadrive - perfect
- GB - perfect
- CPS1 Ghouls and Ghosts - perfect
- SNES - perfect

So far, I haven't yet been able to get to work the following systems:
- Neo Geo - I have placed the bios zip file in both the rom folder and the retroarch fba neo folder but am getting a 'cannot find driver' error (tried at least 5-6 games) and the system freezes. Maybe need to try a different rom set. Any suggestions on how to proceed?
- PCE - getting error message when loading rom - 'cannot push null or empty core into into the playlist' and system freezes

All in all though its pretty incredible. The emulators are definitely much better than those which I have tried prior to hacking the system via a R4 Gold Pro card, which as I understand were written with the Nintendo DS in mind.

PS. In case anyone wants to hack their system, I used the below guides:
1) Hack - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7i...bPRy7mrNsQ&annotation_id=annotation_197718961
2) Installing Retroarch - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKXk5GDMmcg&feature=youtu.be
Did this on a system with 10.1.0-27 firmware and it worked first time with no hassles.

Try the latest nightlies for those emulators, they should definitely all be working.
EDIT: I forgot, PCE has been having issues lately. Also, Neo Geo takes a long time to unzip the roms since they're so huge. MS3 takes about a solid minute.

I think there is no advantage at all vs e.g. PSP, especially since these emulators are still in the development stage. Moreover on the N3DS having to unscrew the back cover to get to the sd card is a pain. That said, since I dont have a PSP this will do very nicely since it expands the appeal and capabilities of the system. Hoping for some homebrew apps for eg. Movies or music since this part of the system is totally unutilised at present.
As for 3d it woul be interesting to see how the virtual boy emulator comes along as this would be an obvious use for the 3ds hardware.

N3DSs have the option of connecting to your computer via your home network. Look under settings, and sd card management.

Last edited:

KalessinDB

Mr. Big's Thug
Double-checking: Cubic Ninja can still exploit all variants of 3DS, correct? I've only kinda been following along...

mehguy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Is this neo geo emulator seriously good? the 3DS homebrew scene is still pretty early. I've been able to run blargSNES (snes emu for 3ds) on my 3ds and has some pretty bad sound issues.

team_andromeda

Armored Scrum Object
Is this neo geo emulator seriously good? the 3DS homebrew scene is still pretty early. I've been able to run blargSNES (snes emu for 3ds) on my 3ds and has some pretty bad sound issues.

If you have a N3DS, all cores for systems pre-PSX work great. The SNES core is great, I think you should look into it. If you have a N3DS hacked with kernel access, I can confirm that PSX games run at near full speed with sound sync issues. Later firmware N3DS's and regular 3DS systems run PS1 like crap.

mehguy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Well I made the terrible decision of updating my 3ds to 10.2. I dont theres a hack for that version yet :(

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
Try the latest nightlies for those emulators, they should definitely all be working.
EDIT: I forgot, PCE has been having issues lately. Also, Neo Geo takes a long time to unzip the roms since they're so huge. MS3 takes about a solid minute.

Thanks, I downloaded the latest version but still having problems getting Neo Geo to load - maybe its just something I need to work out on my side (e.g. try a different rom set). But I am not complaining - there is plenty to play on the GB / NES / SNES / Megadrive / Capcom CPS side and its nice to see the that new features are being added - e.g. the new core for MAME.
Keep up the good work :)

Last edited:

neogamerx

n00b
I have a 3DS XL and I use an R4 card with it and the NEODS emulator. Most of the games work really well, so the emulation is pretty darn good. It's fun being able to play my Neo Geo games when I have my morning commute (40 mins each way :( )... The R4 I have is the one on here http://www.r43ds.org/products/R4-3DS-Dual-Core.html and it also has NES, Gameboy, Gameboy Color, Atari, etc..etc.. emulators for it. It's certainly not perfect on every game, but for the most part if plays them really well.

On an unrelated note. My AES system resets even with the slightest nudge or touch of the power button. I am going to open it up but I wondered if anyone had any ideas as to what could be causing the issue? Even when I move the system, it will sometimes reset.

neogamerx

n00b
Okay, I feel stupid... I just realized this thread is from back in 2015. SORRY!! If you need to delete the reply, please go ahead. Didn't mean to post on an old thread! Been a long time lurker and my first post is a reply to an old thread... Oh boy.