What is your preference for video game AI difficulty?

How do your like your video game AI difficulty?

• Fixed (the parameters never vary, enemy/boss routines are always the same)

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Random (completely unpredictable, items/enemies change every session, etc.)

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Dynamic (the game automatically adjusts to what you're doing on the fly--it gets easier if you're ha

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Other (specify in your post)

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
What kind of AI do you prefer to deal with for your virtual enemies/opponents in a video game?

Myself, I like randomness, because it keeps you on your toes and the experience fresher. Sometimes that can be hard to program in terms of good balance though.

Dynamic would be my second pick, because, if I'm really having trouble, I like it when the game recognizes that and gives me a break, and, conversely, if I'm just coasting through the game, I think it's good to see things ramp up a bit to provide more challenge.

Last edited:

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I think the perfect AI level would be one that adjusts to just about your level or ever so slightly higher, so that you have to improve to overcome it.

Playing a 2 player game against someone way better or worse than you is never much fun, it's always better if you're at a similar level.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Excellent poll, my vote goes to the "other" option. I'd call it semi-dynamic, as I like the AI getting harder, If I'm succeeding, but not easier. The latter peeves me always in Last Resort, where loosing a life makes you loose some extremities. That said, the Battle Garegga suicide regime is fascinating, but appears too enforced, like they try too hard on being original. Other than that, playing with rank is definitely interesting. I also don't mind a bit randomness to spice up things, like in Daimakaimura.

Bill Kilgore

Sent Rot A Secret Santa.Didn't Get Banned.FOOKIN A
Random, it's why i love the Dark Souls games. Some of the enemies are quite unpredictable. Same thing with Alien Isolation.

Shin9999

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
I picked Dynamic but I also kind of agree with Semi-Dynamic. I kind of don't want to completely run over the enemy if I lose several times to them at first. Yet, I would like it to still be challenging but not how the way a Mortal Kombat game treats you at stage 6 of 8. Those games seem to match and have an answer for every single thing you throw at it.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Depends on the game, I'm all up for Dynamic but only becoming more difficult if you are doing well.

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
Dynamic would be my pick, if you're playing a good game it would be cool for the difficulty to raise up a notch to keep you on your toes.
Close second would be fixed because then you know what you're getting when you choose you're difficulty, someday's i'm not up to the challenge on the harder settings and will plump for medium, and i like the fact that the game is easier for me.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Dynamic.

Max Payne 1 & 2 hit that sweet spot for me - it went easy on you if you were doing bad, but ramped it up just enough when you were doing well. The game didn't hold you hand, but it didnt throw you to the wolves either.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
I prefer fixed, because that enables things like high scores and achievements to be objectively compared.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I prefer fixed, because that enables things like high scores and achievements to be objectively compared.

But that also applies to dynamic, where the increase of difficulty is always the same. If you play for score, you'll encounter nothing other than other player's, too. Your argument rules only random out.

There's something else... a good example of a game with fixed AI is Viewpoint. You have no rank here, nor any kind of randomness, yet, there are so many parameters thrown at you at the same time, that the situation can change from easy to hard in no time. Granted, it won't matter to a good player, though even the best player is not a machine, i.e he can't repeat the exact same difficulty patterns throughout a whole game, so that they never really are fixed.

Now this does not disarm your argument entirely, but it shows that a fixed AI is rather just a theoretical concept whereas only dynamic and random exist.

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
I prefer static as it allows the developer to finely craft the difficulty and maintain complete control over the experience. For the same reason I tend to avoid games that auto generate levels.

I don't mind simple dynamic changes such as rank in shooters, but still tend to prefer shooters that have minimal or no rank.

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
Static, it allows me to track my achievements/successes in a set scenario
Also it allows me to set at which point I "earned" to see the story progress.

Last edited: