How Videogames Are Saving the Symphony Orchestra

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
"Videogame music has become a regular part of pops orchestra programming; Zelda's Lullaby causes chills"

http://www.wsj.com/articles/how-videogames-are-saving-the-symphony-orchestra-1444696737?mod=e2tw

I am not a fan of these concerts but I guess they are a draw.

Has anyone gone to one? Do they do these outside of the U.S.?

We have a decent symphony where I live, they'll play movie soundtrack shows and my wife and I love it. I'd definitely go to one if they featured gaming soundtracks.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I have seen the Final Fantasy, Zelda, and VGL shows. They were all very entertaining, but I really liked the recent Zelda performance. FF had too much FF8.

A lot of symphonies are also doing live scores while movies play. All the John Williams stuff gets done here by the local symphony.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
FF8 did have an amazing soundtrack. Best part of the game.

I'd love to see an Orchestra perform the Chrono Cross soundtrack.

xelement5x

Galford's Armourer
I have seen the Final Fantasy, Zelda, and VGL shows. They were all very entertaining, but I really liked the recent Zelda performance. FF had too much FF8.

A lot of symphonies are also doing live scores while movies play. All the John Williams stuff gets done here by the local symphony.

Yeah our local Symphony is doing a John Williams thing over Halloween this year so there will probably be plenty of Stormtroops and the like again :D

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
They did the a pokemon symphony last month and now they are doing zelda this week or next week.
Personally i haven't gone to any yet but they do seem cool.
Sadly both the pokemon and zelda ones are during my work hours.

Mokkori

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I've been to all Montreal Video Games Live shows and they are all a blast.
Special props to the Final Fantasy live tourney too.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
The two London Philharmonic Orchestra albums are very well made and give a lot of life into some amazing tracks. I own both and recommend them frequently.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
Video Games Live was great, that's all I've seen so far. Would highly recommend the experience...

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Most of the musicians in these scoff at how basic the compositions are. I'd rather listen to the "real" thing anyway. Baudrillard would kill me.