What mods are there for a CDX and an Xeye?

Fox1

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy,
20 Year Member
I'm quite curious as I know there is an S-video mod for the CDX (don't really care), but are there any worthwhile ones?

RetroTechRewind

Crazed MVS Addict
I've modded quite a few CDX's in my time. I've also modded my personal X'Eye for s-video and region switches and 50/60 hz.

Other than s-video, It might be worth while to install stereo audio jacks, composite video, and maybe the region switches. I also am currentlyn working on modding a CDX for component out. I'm using a RGB signal amp/converter board. Haven't finished it up yet though.

Fox1

20 Year Member
Quite curious, but do either the Xeye or CDX work with the mega amp?

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
I feel like punching a kitten in the face everytime I see the battery compartment of a Sega CDX ruined by some unnecessary s-video mod. This thing does freaking RGB right out of the box. Why would you ruin one of its coolest feature (portable CD player) just to get an inferior video signal out of it? If you guys don't have any RGB monitor, just get a RGB to S-video/HDMI converter or something.

Fox1

20 Year Member
I feel like punching a kitten in the face everytime I see the battery compartment of a Sega CDX ruined by some unnecessary s-video mod. This thing does freaking RGB right out of the box. Why would you ruin one of its coolest feature (portable CD player) just to get an inferior video signal out of it? If you guys don't have any RGB monitor, just get a RGB to S-video/HDMI converter or something.

I don't want to mod it for S-video...I'm just thinking about the audio mostly.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member

With the omega s-video/composite cable, you can internally mod a cdx for s-video without needing to drill jacks into the battery compartment.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
With the omega s-video/composite cable, you can internally mod a cdx for s-video without needing to drill jacks into the battery compartment.

Well, THANKS for making those, you sir are the man. We need to spread the word though. I've seen some perfectly MINT Sega CDX system totally ruined because of this mod. It must stop.

Fox1

20 Year Member

*Brought to you by Hot N' Ready Pizza, have you had your fill today?*

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
Quite curious, but do either the Xeye or CDX work with the mega amp?

Would seem rather pointless, the X'Eye and CDX are touted as having the best possible audio, it was actually one of its advertised selling points.

Fox1

20 Year Member
Would seem rather pointless, the X'Eye and CDX are touted as having the best possible audio, it was actually one of its advertised selling points.

Really? I thought people bitch and say that the model 1 has the best?

Pasky

Yup the Wondermega/X'eye was designed with that purpose in mind. The early model 1's also had great audio as well and even people on sega-16 will tell you there's no point in putting a mega amp on a model 1 and I'm certain the same would apply to an X'eye.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega_CD

"Designed by JVC to be a Genesis and Sega CD combination with high quality audio, the Wondermega's high price kept it out of the hands of average consumers."

Fox1

20 Year Member
Does the X'eye use the same chips as the Wondermega? I thought the X-eye was a stripped down WonderMega (1st edition).

Pasky

From what I recall they're exactly the same. Only one revision is missing the s-video connector. I think the other thing missing is just the midi port, the wireless controllers (were they infrared?) and the midi sound effects, not a huge loss.

http://segaretro.org/Wondermega

Last edited:

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
You can do a region mod to the xeye. I have mine rigged up to a toggle switch that connects to the same set of jumpers found on the genny 2 as well as to the high address line on an eprom that contains both the xeye and wondermega bios. That way you can play both megadrive and mega cd games.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member

I've lined them all up and compared the audio. Despite the "advertising" lol, the Model one clearly has better audio than the cdx.

Last edited:

xelement5x

Galford's Armourer
You can do a region mod to the xeye. I have mine rigged up to a toggle switch that connects to the same set of jumpers found on the genny 2 as well as to the high address line on an eprom that contains both the xeye and wondermega bios. That way you can play both megadrive and mega cd games.

This seems like the coolest thing to do, having multiregion bios is pretty necessary for the CD since the discs are region locked. Not a ton of cool JP exclusives, but there are some.