World Heroes fans: Jet, worth owning alongside World Heroes 2?

ifkz

n00b
What is the consensus for WH Jet versus WH2? I know the deathmatch option was taken out of WH Jet, and a lot of players miss it. Some of the backgrounds in WH Jet also seem to be a step down from those in WH2 (specifically the game show background); they seem to be not as imaginative IMHO.

I look at Jet despite these issues and I see a lot of new content that is not found in part 2. Are there positives and negatives in owning both?

Last edited:

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
its a series you either like or hate. if you like world heroes 2, then yes- its worth it.

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
I posted this a while back:

I have always felt that WH2 was the best. It improved & expanded on WH1 better then any other sequel at the time. It added 6 new characters to the roster, as well as the same character versus same character feature. Also put in all new backgrounds, added a new boss character, all new endings, and a bad ass introduction. While Jet & Perfect added a few things, they took step backwards by also taking things away. Most notably they changed the single player story mode which was intended to hype up the tournament, but I felt it missed the mark & they totally ruined the versus mode because for some odd reason your stuck with the same music & background over & over again. It gets annoying quick.

Even after buying Jet, my friends & I would always reach for WH2 on my shelf whenever we wanted to get some World Heroes matches on. Jet just collected dust on the shelf.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Amongst the left-outs: Death-Mach mode. This ruined both sequels for me, still, they have the right to collect dust on my shelf ;).

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
IMO the first two World Heroes games were the best, as they had the popular Death Match mode. Apart from that, there wasn't much I liked about the World Heroes games, apart from the stage backgrounds. But a lot of SNK fighters, even the ones that aren't very good, have some good backgrounds. And just about all fighters are fun, if you play against another person.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I like the series and own both 2 and Jet. When I feel like playing some World Heroes I usually go for 2, but Jet is still nice to own. You can pick up Jet pretty cheaply, so if you're a fan of the first two I see no reason not to give it a try.

Samuray

Another Striker
10 Year Member
It's only four games, and the first three are really cheap....I think it's definitely worth owning all of them. I like to play 2 and Jet both, so...yeah. :)

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Amongst the left-outs: Death-Mach mode. This ruined both sequels for me, still, they have the right to collect dust on my shelf ;).

IMO the first two World Heroes games were the best, as they had the popular Death Match mode.

Eh... joe. there is a quote button. I suppose you use it once in a while or, by any means, would you like to be called drongo8?

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Eh... joe. there is a quote button. I suppose you use it once in a while or, by any means, would you like to be called drongo8?

Did you just use an Australian slang term? I'm impressed you actually used it properly and suggested a superior name for Joe8.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
its a series you either like or hate. if you like world heroes 2, then yes- its worth it.

What a generic stock response!

Anyways, like others said 2Jet obviously doesn't have death match mode. It lacks the WH2 tap A auto combos.

The game also contains very little music compared to WH2. All the non-team battle OG WH2 stages have the same theme song. None the original WH2 themes are present even though the stages are.

EDIT: So, 2Jet has a slightly different engine, new moves, Ryofu and Jack, better artwork, worse music.

EDIT: Oh, and less moves for some characters too.

Last edited:

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
For my personal view of this see the fighting game quest signature.
I'm a big WH fan but have to say I did like WH2 the least of all - death match doesn't give me enough incentive for playing WH2 over Jet, so I'd say: yes it's worth getting (not being expensive anyways)

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Jet is great. It has dashes and a halfway decent CPU. Not that it really matters, games like that are meant to be played by two people but it also can't hurt.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
It has its charm.
I just can't stand some BGMs on the first instalment.
It's no KOF, but you can get some fun out of any WH game.

When I first saw Mudman throwing is projectile on WH2 at the arcades back in the day I was like "WOW" I have to play this one.
It doesn't hold up very well today, but that cab got a lot of coin and just aside there was a Hyper Fighting cab...

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
and yes, it's worth to own alongside WH1 and 2. All three games have a few little twists here and there, they're also quite cheap on all formats so go for it.

Now Perfect is another can of worms, most people rate it as the best WH but not me. It's a cool game and all but lacks that raw charme of the prequels that I love.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
It's not bad by any means, just not as appealing.
I still consider Jet to have the best controls of the series.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I'm not expert, having only played each of the games a little bit, but the later games are probably better legit fighting games than WH1 and 2. However, they lose a lot of their charm, 2 is still my favorite.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Did you just use an Australian slang term?

You've noticed? I definitely enjoy your subtle take on irony.

Now Perfect is another can of worms, [...] lacks that raw charme of the prequels that I love.

Yep, tongue-in-cheek games are so helpless w/o it's trash feel, like a penny dreadful dressed in a luxurious leather-bound and rough edge gilding.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
Just got a WH2 MVS cart after reading this thread.
You guys suck.........making me to spend more money this month :mad:

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
I own em all and looking back WH2 & WHP are the two best. Jet is a skip in my book (characters are too unbalanced).

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I like Jet better for sure.

city41

Aero Fighters Flyboy
10 Year Member
Just got a WH2 MVS cart after reading this thread.
You guys suck.........making me to spend more money this month :mad:

I hope you tried it in MAME first. World Heroes is really love or hate.