Axelay on Super Nintendo

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
Axelay has no banjo dude on the cover art, sorry this game sucks.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Axelay has no banjo dude on the cover art, sorry this game sucks.

Oh man, oh man, you must be talking about Shrumpmajou Douchetsu Nooboraiken...you know, Super Famicom's finest hour...the best ever!!! Or as known in the US The Adventures of Dr. Fellanxious!

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
Heh, I didn't know about the game and was glad to try it out. Read tons of posts, don't need you calling me a fool. Thanks.

'Hey guys let me tell YOU something. Now you see, the SNES is a system in which everyone says has bad shooting games. Now, they haven't even played most of them or know how to play the ones they've tried, but it's a safe bet to agree that almost all of them are bad. WELL, there is this one game on the system called Axelay. It's the only game in the genre on the system people know and like. I'm telling YOU to go play it."

fool : "oh yes I do not know snes "schmup'ing" as I am ignorant as I never bothered to read any post anyone else has ever made, but I am acknowleging yours and will reinforce your ignorance".

I like hyperzone though, woooo

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
You should definitely try some Phallanx and Thunder Spirits, make it a must, enjoy! Oh, oh, get Metal Black for the Saturn, worth every penny!...and if you like light gun games get Death Crimsom, you're gonna love it!

Ren-chan

F I R E W A L L, M Y A S S !,
Axelay... I remember setting all kind of weapons on same button and going all "STUFF!".
A pity I didn't own a Snes by that time and was only able to play it once... :(

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
You should definitely try some Phallanx and Thunder Spirits, make it a must

You forgot r-type as well electricgrave the definitive home console version closest you'll get to playing it outside of an arcade, slowdown my arse, can't understand why people think the snes ain't a shooters paradise with these classics.
I love the box art with phallanx as well, that old boy with the banjo just screams this is a shooter to me, great choice, and fantastic work by the publisher...

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
You forgot r-type as well electricgrave the definitive home console version closest you'll get to playing it outside of an arcade, slowdown my arse, can't understand why people think the snes ain't a shooters paradise with these classics.
I love the box art with phallanx as well, that old boy with the banjo just screams this is a shooter to me, great choice, and fantastic work by the publisher...

You should definitely try some Phallanx and Thunder Spirits, make it a must, enjoy! Oh, oh, get Metal Black for the Saturn, worth every penny!...and if you like light gun games get Death Crimsom, you're gonna love it!

If you don't like Phalanx on SNES, get a copy of Zero Divide on PS1. Tiny Phalanx is very good.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member

You never answered my question.

CaseyTappy

Tung's Hair Stylist
I liked the game back in the day, only shmup on the Snes with a (hidden) tate mode !

pegboy

Armored Scrum Object
It's definitely one of the best Shooters on the SNES, I'd personally put it in my top 3 along with Space Megaforce/Super Alesete and Aero Fighters/Sonic Wings. Presentation wise I'd put this game at number 1, with incredible art direction and the absolute best soundtrack of all the SNES shmups. The final stage is one of my favorites in ANY game. The entire progression from annihilating the enemy fleet and venturing deeper into the mothership to exact revenge on the aliens is pretty intense, especially on the higher difficulties.

Here's a shameless plug of the run I did a while back:

codecrank

Whip's Subordinate
10 Year Member
You're being sarcastic right?...right?

Hahah that's what I thought .

Got that for one for Christmas the year it came out. On my snes top10

Music
Level design
Enemies
Weapons

Shmup making 101/right there

Last edited:

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
You never answered my question.
I'm british andsuchisdeath, we're reserved, polite and above all don't like to blow our own trumpets, and hate cheats
cought MUTEKI cought...

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I'm british andsuchisdeath, we're reserved, polite and above all don't like to blow our own trumpets...

Your statement has to be the bloody best iteration of British humour I heard in years. You blokes truly rule the waves... of comicality.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I first played this in 2003, extremely late, I know.

I'll never forget how off-putting those first stage graphics were, the way they bent at the bottom edge of the screen. Terrible first level.

Second level was better. ED-209 boss was cool.

Everything else is a blur.

I mean, Axelay is OK. I got to experience it 10 years later, without nostalgia goggles and with a lot of hype as 'the best SNES shooter'. So I was a bit let down.

Music is memorable apparently because for some reason the music is playing in my head as I've been reading this thread.

edit: also if someone in real life told me Super Castlevania IV or Axelay or any other Konami game was a Treasure game I'd pull a Buzz Aldrin and sock em right in the kisser.

Last edited:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
So I was a bit let down.

Ax is an extremely specific game, so I totally share your feelings. Maybe it would have been a better jump'n shoot? It's certainly more the Alien Wars Konami here, than the Gradius one. Contra III had also those Mode7 propaganda, but used in a more conservative way and only in two minor levels. Axelay has three of them and they are given a substantial weight throughout the whole game.

It's still a perfect console shooter, alas, it rather dazzles an arcade veteran, than makes him scream for more. It's still way better than Philosoma, another specimen, but not as good as the buttoned-down Radiant Silvergun, where they experimented with everything, just not the viewpoint/perspective. Lucky us.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Best SNESH! FINAL FANTASY 3 (6) AND SECRET OF MAN! MARIO CART > AXELAY!

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
You just had to bring up some RPGs 'cause god forbid any given thread doesn't have a RPG in it, god damn RPGs...

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Axelay is a fucking Konami SNES tour de force! If it didn't impress you when it came out, most likely you barely came out of your Dad's ballsack.