Going to buy a 4k TV. Help me, my people!

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
So, I'm debating buying a 65 inch 4k TV in the 2500 dollar neighborhood. I will be doing a lot of gaming on it, too, so a fast response time will be nice.

Anyone have opinions? I've been looking at the new LG 8600. Thoughts?

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Is gaming your main goal? If so, nothing will output at 4k, and it often makes text and icons illegible on PC.

MidnightAbyss

Mr. Big's Thug
In all honesty, I don't think 4k is used widely enough to warrant a purchase yet. Especially if you're just going to play consoles on it. They won't look any better. The lowest response time on any 4k TV out yet is 21ms and that model is a 48" Samsung. I'd personally wait until the technology is more fleshed out,prices go down, or it's more widely supported. What does my opinion matter though?

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
wait for the 8k TV early Q1 of 2016

8k is supposedly higher def than IRL

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Gaming will be done a lot, but not my only goal. I'm aware that res won't be supported for that in a while, but others are. lmao at 8k

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
What TV do you use now? How big is it, and how far do you sit from it?
I'd wait on the 4k bandwagon until more services start using it.

There's a level where the resolution, size of the TV, and viewer distance results in no discernible difference in resolutions.

Don't waste your hard earned money on something that won't work for you.
I got a 144hz monitor like an idiot, and most modern games are getting 30/60 FPS frame locks.

MidnightAbyss

Mr. Big's Thug
If 4k is going to evolve anything like 1080p did, it will still be a couple years before we see any meaningful amount content out that supports it. I'm sure though it will be faster than 1080p's come up but how much faster who knows. One thing I forgot to point out is 1080p upscaled to 4k introduces an extra 30ms or so of input lag in some test. I don't think the newer ones have so much of a problem but it's worth digging further into before making a purchase. I think you'll be clear on that with the newer ones. From what I've read they have much better upscalers built into them. Forgo the 21ms comment I made earlier too. That info was a couple months old. There's a newer one out now that has about 17ms of input lag. Where are you getting your 4k content from?

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Where I used to be in the industry and I did know a ton about displays...I'll gladly admit I a rusty as hell.

I did a ton of reading and like I did back in 2008, landed up with another LG:

http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-49UF7600-4k-uhd-led-tv

This would be the 65" version of it:
http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-65UF7700-4k-uhd-led-tv

In the end, reading reviews of what I know to be true (based off of stories from people I personally know), the choice right not really is LG or Samsung. Back in 2008 it was Sony or LG. In 2008, the Sony had a slightly nicer PQ but was more $$ and Sony was big time known for hit and miss build quality. A good unit was a lifetime TV, a bad one was a nightmare. The same can be said about Samsung at the moment. Looking up reviews on Samsung's "apple for apple" set to the LG I bought, there's an ocean of "Love it!!" and "complete garbage!!!" reviews. From faulty panels, to crashing TV OS, the Samsung's seems to be buggy. I have a flaky Gen 5 Samsung 32" LED sitting in a closet as of my typing this. Not only does it have weird power issues (will shut itself off randomly), shortly after the horribly short factory warranty ran out, it developed a "blue dot" issue, doing some reading, I saw this can happen with Samsung panels.

In the end, I saved $400 (I think it was $400, it was definitely $300+) and bought the LG. The TV has superb PQ and literally blew my old 1080p 2008 LG LCD out of the water. Their "magic remote" is also freaking awesome...

One last thing...4K. I didn't pay huge attention to the 4K thing, but it is obvious that the industry is moving away form the 1080p sets...look at the models available. If you want newer stuff, you have to go 4K.

Netflix and Amazon already offer 4K content...and it will only get larger as time goes on. Especially with Amazon rentals. There's limited stuff available now and only Amazon offers any for free (Netflix requires their $12/mo package, I believe I have the $8/mo or something like that).

I watched some 4K content from Amazon and it is freaking awesome...nothing mind blowing but definitely better than standard HD for sure.

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Yeah. Those LG remotes are pretty damn cool.

It is hands down the best factory remote I've ever used. Now, that's not saying a ton given how bad most factory remotes are, but the LG unit is awesome. The ability to navigate everything with the pointer, which is Bluetooth (or RF, or however it works) is awesome. The Amazon/Netflix aps on the TV are superb. Netflix on the LG blew Netflix on Apple TV out of the water. It's even better than on the Roku simply because of the way the remote works.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
youtube has some 4k content as well. I would really just wait for the price to drop in the coming months.

BladeDancer314

Windjammers Wonder
I almost bought a 4K tv last December, I'm glad I didn't.

Do yourself a favor and wait, unless you must have one.

MidnightAbyss

Mr. Big's Thug
It is hands down the best factory remote I've ever used. Now, that's not saying a ton given how bad most factory remotes are, but the LG unit is awesome. The ability to navigate everything with the pointer, which is Bluetooth (or RF, or however it works) is awesome. The Amazon/Netflix aps on the TV are superb. Netflix on the LG blew Netflix on Apple TV out of the water. It's even better than on the Roku simply because of the way the remote works.

My mom has one at her house and I got to play with it some. I really like the layout of everything and how the remote works. It almost made me want to break down and buy one. Definitely a refreshing feature that could have been screwed up so easily but they did it right.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I almost bought a 4K tv last December, I'm glad I didn't.

Do yourself a favor and wait, unless you must have one.

My 2008 was getting old and was having power cycle issues (wouldn't always come on). With what I've spent on TV's in the past, this LG is the best "bang for the buck" set I've ever purchased. With 2x SD 32" tube sets that ran me $750-1000 (Proscan, Sony), a 51" rear projection HD set that was $3000 (Hitachi) and my 42" LG 1080p LCD that was $1500...out the door for $980 something was a steal for this set, which is the most advanced set I've ever owned.

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
I dread the day I have to replace my Panasonic Viera 3D plasma. It's so great for games.
Hopefully, I can keep it in working order until OLED becomes more common.

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
Just bought a Sony XBR 850B last month and I'm real happy with it.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
I've got one of the samsung curved jobbies and I like it rather well. It has one of those magical pointer remotes like the lg. Actually I like it better than the one on my lg. Overall, good for the money, but I got it on the cheap.

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
Quality over quantity. I'd rather have killer image quality rather than just an enormous display.

Make sure you buy the right size display that fits your viewing area. It wouldn't hurt to wait a little longer on 4K unless you have to have something right now. Why not pick up a PVM for gaming if you have the space for a 2nd display?

optimal-viewing-distance-television-graph-size.png

I dread the day I have to replace my Panasonic Viera 3D plasma. It's so great for games.
Hopefully, I can keep it in working order until OLED becomes more common.

Word! I'm hanging on to my plasma until OLED. I'm a damn whore for a plasma.

bradtemple87

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
Spike I work as a home theater supervisor for Best Buy and sell these tvs everyday. The Sony 65x850c is the best tv for your money hands down. It's triluminous color chip and motion capabilities kick the shit out of the comparable samsungs.

Jack Burton

Loyal Neo-Disciple
Not an expert here, but I got a 60" Vizio p-series. Cost me $1300 in February I think. It can give a very nice image once calibrated. It has 64 zones of full array local dimming. the local dimming plus the VA panel gives it a very nice contrast level. Firmware updates have fixed up issues with the local dimming. As long as you're not watching it in a completely dark room, if the screen is black, the tv looks like it's turned off. The input lag for hdmi 5 is 18.7ms, and the xrgb mini looks great on it. Also, it is a 120hz tv, so it can do 24fps for movies.

I know, 4k isn't widespread, but netflix, amazon, and youtube have it. Youtube uses vp9 standard for 4k, so this tv can't decode it, but there are cheap devices coming out that can do 4k. (roku 4, fire tv. Not sure if they decode vp9) You do need to be sitting within a certain distance for the 4k to make a big difference, but I can see more detail from ~9 feet away. Plus, no screen door effect, and more and more 4k content will be coming.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Quality over quantity. I'd rather have killer image quality rather than just an enormous display.

Make sure you buy the right size display that fits your viewing area. It wouldn't hurt to wait a little longer on 4K unless you have to have something right now. Why not pick up a PVM for gaming if you have the space for a 2nd display?

View attachment 29293

Word! I'm hanging on to my plasma until OLED. I'm a damn whore for a plasma.

I sit about 9-10' from my TV in my living room...a 50" display is plenty for that space (I had a 42" for years). Like I sated earlier, my current is 49" and doing some measuring, a 55" would have been considerable larger...too large in my opinion.

Even at that distance, I can 100% tell the difference between 1080 and 4K content...I will not claim is is the huge difference that the 480 (540, actually) to 1080 jump made...but I can definitely tell the difference.

I may be out of the biz now...but at one time I was an ISF guy and did calibrations for a living...so I'm no dummy with displays. I will say that I do agree that you can easily buy too much display, now more than ever.

Spike I work as a home theater supervisor for Best Buy and sell these tvs everyday. The Sony 65x850c is the best tv for your money hands down. It's triluminous color chip and motion capabilities kick the shit out of the comparable samsungs.

"for the money"?...sorry man, Sony will never (and has never) qualified for that title. They make good stuff, but their price never qualifies for "bang for the buck" awards. There's also always the the finicky Sony issues to deal with as well. Their TV's have never been known for being rock solid quality wise.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member

You Bestbuy guys have been really pushing Sony. The Bestbuy near me has their guys pushing the shit out of Sony as well.