should i invest in copic markers.

NGCDFreak

Belnar Institute Student
I've been drawing and doing fanart haven't inked them yet well I can't afford photoshop or painter and wacom pen and tab. So I decided to natural media for coloring I bought decent color pencils but it's not working I'm used to coloring in photoshop and painter. So I'm thinking about investing in some copic markers is that the right way to go because I've never used markers in my doodles plus they're kind of pricey so would this be a great investment or should I save my money for photoshop and painter.
Thanks

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I'm not a marker guy myself, but I know a lot of artists who swear by Copics and get very nice results with them. Markers in general obviously run dry though, so, they need to be replaced on a regular basis if you use them a lot, which can get costly.

You want an art program for free? Get GIMP. I've used it for years and it's a very robust program that can do pretty much anything that the commercial products can do. The user interface takes some getting used to, but it's not too hard to learn, especially if you have experience with other art programs.

BLEAGH

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
If you have never used markers before get a set of prismacolors. Don't blow a bunch of money on fancy markers you won't be able to make full use of.

I love my copics, especially the sketch markers with the brush tips. If you decide to get some, buy the colors you want individually and then get some ink refills, do not buy new markers when they dry out. I almost exclusively use various warm and cool grays. They feel more like working with watercolor than traditional markers. A lot of the same techniques can be applied too. You just have to be FAST because the ink will dry pretty quick over larger areas.

If you want to draw, paint, and color digitally get autodesk's sketchbook pro. Its the best and simplest piece of software for digital artwork in my opinion. It's the only program I draw in anymore.

You can get a decent wacom tablet and sketchbook pro for less than what a few mvs carts would likely run you.

Pretty much everything here was done with copics or sketcbook pro.
http://bleagh.deviantart.com/gallery/

Last edited:

FinalbossNYC

Zero's Tailor
If you have never used markers before get a set of prismacolors. Don't blow a bunch of money on fancy markers you won't be able to make full use of.

He's right, also-
Marvy Uchida makes cheaper versions of Copics look them up, and prismas like he said are good and Blick Art stores have their own copy cats of Prismas. Blick has a great website. I haven't used markers in the last few years but I avoid Copics for their Prices. I have some greys but hardly use em. Im a watercolor and inks guy.

Pencils and sharpies on regular paper is a great daily tools.

Vas

Marked Wolf
Yeah go get them mate, or you could use sketch pad for android or iPad , I done some good anime art with that really easy too if u wanted a photoshop alternative for drawing with a stylus. I will post a few pics later of stuff I did in sketch pad.

I rather drawing on paper but with a app you can draw on the loo

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
Markers in general obviously run dry though, so, they need to be replaced on a regular basis if you use them a lot, which can get costly.
Copic sells refill ink for the Sketch markers.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Yeah, start with Prismacolors. Copics are really nice, versatile and refillable but expensive. Plus if you're not familiar with coloring they're a good way to get the hang of it without spending a ton and will still look good.

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
Before I bought my first markers, I watched quite a few videos on YouTube and thought that this was one of the best comparisons:

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
I love copics, I don't have many as I'm broke and not a professional.

I'd say if you have your heart set on getting into copics I would start with just a small set of greyscale markers, if you can blend and shade and all with greys you can do it with colors. The greyscale set I got was like 25 bucks on sale and came with 4 or 5 copics and a liner pen. Pretty much everything you need to get your technique down before spending a shit ton on all the colors you will if you end up liking them :)

For me a small set of microns and a small set of copics have me pretty much set as far as practicing.

NGCDFreak

Belnar Institute Student
Thanks for the advice guys, but I'm using color pencils right now which I'm trying to get the hang of.

djjimmyjames

NG.com Tattoo Artist.,
15 Year Member
I use prisma brush tip and add alchohol to the nine when they get low and buy another of the same color. I use the burnt ones to blend. I do traditional tattoo flash and tattoo flash with them and enjoy the easy blending. Co pics are also nice but they cost a lot more. This micheals coupons for one item usually 40%. So if you buy sets it really works out we'll.

NGCDFreak

Belnar Institute Student
I'm getting some prismacolor art markers soon thanks for all the advice guys I appreciate it alot.

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
"not enough money for Photoshop", have your tried Photoshop portable? It's "free". I use it all the time to design items for everyday use or gaming... because blank dvd or shockboxes are fucking a sin.

Ren-chan

F I R E W A L L, M Y A S S !,
Paint Tool SAI is also a good software, that's the one I use nowadays and a license is around 35 usd.
Also, my wacom is a cheap one (around $60) so for less than $100 I got all the necessary to do my retarded drawings.

You can easily do stuff like this:

Scar4.png

And then some better stuff:
tumblr_nfxvxeCCEf1r05wk4o1_1280.png

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member

Ren-chan

Only the 1st one is mine lol, the rest is from google

FinalbossNYC

Zero's Tailor
Don't know if anyones interested but I just got a Kuretake ink brush in this months art snacks box, I usually by Pentel ink brushes (the full size not the Pocket brush pen) which look like a brush tip but the Kuretake is more like a felt tip and not that pointed (like say faber castell) but it has the same range as a pentel. This is new and its kinda better than its pentel competitor the 'Pocket Brush pen" which is really meant for writing calligraphy and requires you go sloow.

hope this wasn't too confusing

Ren-chan

@NGCDfreak:
I just heard of markers "Neopiko", will be getting some to try. Price is way lower than Copic... maybe you should want to have a look on youtube to see its quality :-)

Edit:
I bought some to try. Will show you how it looks like when I finish the drawing :-)

Update:
Sooo I used them and it's quite nice. Unfortunately I used it on a sketchbook and paper is a bit rough... way too rough for the markers and it didn't go as well as expected (also, you can break your markers by using that kind of paper). Tried some random painting on normal paper and it's really good (and 4 times cheapper than Copic).

Last edited:

NGCDFreak

Belnar Institute Student
I might get a g4 mac with photoshop this Christmas is that a OK way to start off lmk thanks.

Ren-chan

You shouldn't have a problem as long as you are aware those are a bit more than 10-13 years old

NGCDFreak

Belnar Institute Student
I might get a set of copic markers at my art store tomorrow they're on sale.

Ren-chan

That's quite cool.
On a note, try to get sheets of paper ready for using those markers. I made 2 errors:
1.- use it on sketch paper (rough), not recommended. You can break your markers if you are not careful:
KXS3COZ.jpg

2.- used on a moleskine notebook, works better but ink trespasses to the next sheet:
iu0kHNk.jpg

bought one of those:
http://www.amazon.com/Copic-Markers...qid=1450048547&sr=8-1&keywords=Copic+ALCMRKA4

it works great :D

Last edited:

violentluke

New Challenger
I started out with prismacolors about 15 years ago or so and I love them, I switched to copics maybe 8 years ago and I gotta say I prefer the copics.
The copics seem to blend a lot better and goes on smoother in my opinion.
Heres some of my work with copics.

And some I still need to color, I really prefer the black copic as it blended so nicely, and I use a lot of black

Last edited: