Ali SNES boots - Anyone have one to open up?

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
I'm curious how well these are made and if the PCB trys to copy the original down to silk-screening.

From these pics it sure looks like one could easily be fooled if they didn't open it up.

http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale...0133408&SearchText=USA+version+game+cartridge

Has anyone bought one of these (we won't tar and feather, probably) - if so, post pcb pics, please? Maybe just "borrow" one from your friend for the research.

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
Wow didn't even know those were floating around from China. : 0

Using sac shells possibly?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I can't imagine a Chinese outfit bothering with sac carts instead of just manufacturing them.

This is interesting though, I'm curious about what's under the hood myself.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I have some Chinese MD boots. They have mask ROMs but are clearly boots - no Sega logo, low res art. However, the potential is there for someone to make high quality boots of expensive MD games for nefarious purposes. After all, opening them requires the removal of a sticker, which many collectors would be hesitant to do.

EDIT: The shells/boards are repros on these, not sac'd.

Last edited:

Apocalypse

Edo Express Delivery Guy
I'm curious how well these are made and if the PCB trys to copy the original down to silk-screening.

From these pics it sure looks like one could easily be fooled if they didn't open it up.

http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale...0133408&SearchText=USA+version+game+cartridge

Has anyone bought one of these (we won't tar and feather, probably) - if so, post pcb pics, please? Maybe just "borrow" one from your friend for the research.
The price they ask is quite high for SNES boots, isn't it?

mjmjr25

10 Year Member

Sadly, no. Most "repros, boots, hacks" are $30-40 for SNES, $25-30 for NES and $10-15 for MD/GEN. Their prices are pretty low and the quality seems to have improved over a lot of the home jobs we've seen. I've seen a lot of MD boots and these seem to be a much higher (aesthetic) quality.

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,

Price seems fair to me, we bought a board to make a secret of mana 2 translated cart and after parts it was about 30 bucks, which they sell one for 29 bucks and I had to steal a shell off a sports game so this actually seems like the better deal.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
The Megadrive boots look ugly as fug but the Snes one's actually look nice. It's a good thing these carts are easy to open.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
I remember some MD and Famicom boots from "back in the day." The quality of the MD ones I've seen were garbage in terms of artwork, I can't recall the PCBs since this was a long time ago, I might still have one buried somewhere. Earlier FC multis I had were mask ROMs, the newer ones were generally cheapo glob top jobs to save money. I imagine any recently made MD/SNES boots are using flash chips on custom PCBs.

Here's one PCB from a Chrono Trigger boot bought on Ali Express (not mine....seriously, found it via Google):
IMG_2261.jpg

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
There's no way to mistake that for an original, which is good.

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
I'm not completely sure if it is the lighting or not, but the shells look off color. If you've ever saw Brazilian bootlegs they look the same in real life. I can always post a picture for reference

There is some interesting stuff on Aliexpress, you can get Megadrive repros for $5 shipped and Megadrive "everdrives" for around $45.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
I bought three SFC bootlegs from Aliexpress and seller sent me an email saying "due to printing issue" that color of sticker will be off a bit.
I told them it's okay to process my order.
I will say it's a good repro and I'll post some pictures when I get home tonight.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
I dare not to open them even though I know they are bootleg/repro :D

IMG_2236.JPGIMG_2235.JPG

Apocalypse

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Price seems fair to me, we bought a board to make a secret of mana 2 translated cart and after parts it was about 30 bucks, which they sell one for 29 bucks and I had to steal a shell off a sports game so this actually seems like the better deal.
You can't compare a DIY game to mass production games. And I'm pretty sure your game is more reliable than most bootlegs.
But I accept the fact that It's a good deal according to you and other members.

mjmjr25

10 Year Member
Liquid - were those from this new round of boots? I've seen those UC Cops like that on ebay for about 3 years. Curious if anyone has any of these very new released boots - the quality, from the outside at least, seems to have improved.

Madman - That PCB pic could be any boot - or do you know the source.

I specifically am interested in this NEW round of crap coming from China - Earthbound, Dracula X, Little Samson - all made to look exactly like original US releases.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
Liquid - were those from this new round of boots? I've seen those UC Cops like that on ebay for about 3 years. Curious if anyone has any of these very new released boots - the quality, from the outside at least, seems to have improved.

Madman - That PCB pic could be any boot - or do you know the source.

I specifically am interested in this NEW round of crap coming from China - Earthbound, Dracula X, Little Samson - all made to look exactly like original US releases.

Yes
Quality wise is very good.
Sunset riders may use original sfc case because i cant tell the difference by comparing my other sfc carts