General power questions with Japanese consoles in the USA

PigInTheMud

Tarma's Gun Polisher
I have a few questions in regards to playing my Japanese systems in the U.S.

1. Is it okay to leave famicom plugged into U.S. socket?
  2. Is it okay to leave famicom plugged into JP2US transformer?
  3. Is it okay to use a power adaptor I bought from radioshack on the famicom?
  4. Is it okay to leave the famicom plugged into the power adaptor I bought from radioshack?
  5. What is the most ideal set up for using a Japanese system in the US if you DO have the original power supply?
  6. What is the most ideal set up for using a Japanese system in the US if you do NOT have the original power supply?
  7. I consolized my MVS FZ1 board that I purchased in Japan, I am using the ITE SC200 power supply. Can leaving this plugged in Damage my board?

I ask about the radio shack power adapter because I don't want to blow out my system

Thanks!

Last edited:

Apocalypse

Edo Express Delivery Guy
I have a few questions in regards to playing my Japanese systems in the U.S.

1. Is it okay to leave famicom plugged into U.S. socket?
  2. Is it okay to leave famicom plugged into JP2US transformer?
  3. Is it okay to use a power adaptor I bought from radioshack on the famicom?
  4. Is it okay to leave the famicom plugged into the power adaptor I bought from radioshack?
  5. What is the most ideal set up for using a Japanese system in the US if you DO have the original power supply?
  6. What is the most ideal set up for using a Japanese system in the US if you do NOT have the original power supply?
  7. I consolized my MVS FZ1 board that I purchased in Japan, I am using the ITE SC200 power supply. Can leaving this plugged in Damage my board?

I ask about the radio shack power adapter because I don't want to blow out my system

Thanks!
1) Yes
2) Aren't plugs the same between Japan and US? Or maybe you're using the transformer to convert ~120V to ~100V. It shouldn't be an issue. Some systems will overheat slightly more without a JAP2US transformer so just check that.
3) Yes as long as it respects voltage and polarity. Current could be an issue if too low, not a problem if higher than required.
4) Hum. Don't get it. Would say yes if 3) is respected.
5) I personally use non adjustable transformers on which I stick a label with the console name It must be used with. This avoids reversing polarity or moving the voltage switch mistakenly.
6) If you're talking of this:
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...Adapter-Charger-SUPPLY/718625_1899563061.html
Then yes.

Last edited:

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
I personally haven't had any problems running my Japanese consoles off American current. I've had some of them for years now too. Of course YMMV, good luck!

PigInTheMud

Tarma's Gun Polisher
I've put a lot of work into repairing my old stuff like my Twin Famicom and some stuff is getting ridiculously expensive like my AES, so I want to make sure I take good care of them!