Neo Turf Masters Bootleg

mikemann

Quiz Detective
Well, I got burned by an ebay seller. Seller was selling as "untested" and it didn't seem like there was many boots of this particular game that I could find. Label from the shitty picture on ebay from what I could see looked decent.

But alas it's a boot. Seems to play, but I have ZERO sound. Any slot I try in my MVS-4 and it also kills sound on all the other boards if it's installed.

I probably could live with the boot if it actually worked. :-/

On a side note - can anyone tell me what the differences is, if any between Neo Turf Masters and Big Tournament Golf besides the title screen? I got this for my 12yr old son and I, we've been playing the crap out of it on this blue elf 619-in-1 that came with my candy cab. Wanted to get the real deal for the MVS and blew it. I've seen a few forum sellers with Big Tournament Golf and it appears to be a little more affordable. I've looked and looked and can't see anything that spells out the differences if there is any.

Last edited:

mikemann

Quiz Detective
yep and had I come here and searched first there is one other post with the exact same bootleg. Label is an exact match to that one as well

I tried googling it before hand to do my due diligence and there wasn't much that came up. Surprisingly, nothing from this forum hits in that search results.

Last edited:

totoro

X>2, (He is so wrong -Ed),
Came here waiting to read about some aes drama...
...oh well...

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
Big Tournament Golf is shown on the title screen with a JP BIOS, NTM is shown on a US BIOS. The game data is the same, only the labels differ. When playing on a JP bios the Japan course is listed first, but the USA course is listed first on a US BIOS.

mikemann

Quiz Detective
Big Tournament Golf is shown on the title screen with a JP BIOS, NTM is shown on a US BIOS. The game data is the same, only the labels differ. When playing on a JP bios the Japan course is listed first, but the USA course is listed first on a US BIOS.

Thank you for the info!

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
Just a heads up.... Untested on eBay is generally "broke". Especially when it comes to any board that's jamma (who really sells jamma boards and has no way to test them?) or any neo carts. Sorry you didn't luck out on it, hopefully you didn't pay much as a real one goes for about 50.

mikemann

Quiz Detective
Yeah I realize that. Unfortunately I did pay close to that price, but that was because I really couldn't find anyone selling one the last month or two. Really I have nobody to blame but myself.

I know it looks like I'm a newb here with the low post count. But I have been actually pretty active on a few other arcade sites for several years. Really kinda the first time I've ever been burned arcade wise. If I was buying a Jamma PCB for sure I would assume that. This seller was just selling a very large collection of carts and I assumed that surely they all can't be defective.

Personally I've also seen very few MVS carts that are just plain ol' shot/bad. Maybe I've just been fortunate...but I've definitely owned maybe 50-60 carts over the years and I think I've only had one that never would even boot/work. A prehistoric Isle that looked like someone spilled soda all over at some point. And technically this cart does in fact boot and play, just no sound. Maybe it would work on a single slot? Who knows. All I have is my upright MVS-4 to test on.

Obviously I do have some sour grapes, but the sorry if my OP came off the wrong way...the post wasn't meant to be a "poor me, I got burned" thing. I fully realized I took the risk. Just wanted to do my part here, be active and share the pics and info on the boot (and ask a few related questions as well).

Last edited:

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
There are a lot of unknowns with the boot so I'm not sure if anyone can offer any great advice on fixing the sound. Did you check for obvious things like bridged pins? Sounds like you are an experienced MVS guy, but just in case, when I had a 4-slot some games either wouldn't work or wouldn't have sound unless I changed the ordering of the carts around in the slots. Small chance it's that, but bigger chance it's teh boot itself.

There's a BTG/NTM for sale in the Marketplace right now for a nice price so that might be an option.

Yagyu Jubei

Dodgeball Yakuza
Sorry about getting burned by a boot. Happens to the best of us. At least it wasn't a $5000 AES cart. ;)

FinalbossNYC

Zero's Tailor
Anyone have any ideas on how to address the sound?

silly question have you tried running it with no carts in the other 3 slots? I have issues with running KOF98 in my 6 slot if certain other titles are also in the machine.

also check the solder on the back of the chips see if anything looks sparse

mikemann

Quiz Detective
Appreciate the suggestion...but I have tried all the slots and even solo in all the slots. No matter what no sound. Interesting it kills the sounds on all the other games as well.

Good news is ebay is working with me , looks like I may be able get a refund

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
Appreciate the suggestion...but I have tried all the slots and even solo in all the slots. No matter what no sound. Interesting it kills the sounds on all the other games as well.

boots aren't allowed on eBay, so you should be able to get a refund/return no problems.

FinalbossNYC

Zero's Tailor

Yeah my KoF98 legit kills the sound on all 6 slots when matched with certain games.
Glad your getting the refund in progress. Ive read some bootleg refund deals don't require you returning the item, thats weird I wonder what the deal is there.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Yeah my KoF98 legit kills the sound on all 6 slots when matched with certain games.
Glad your getting the refund in progress. Ive read some bootleg refund deals don't require you returning the item, thats weird I wonder what the deal is there.

A couple years ago I bought a couple "new" Dreamcast controllers on EBay, they were clearly used. EBay refunded my money and I never had to send them back. OP should be able to get a full refund no problems.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
A couple years ago I bought a couple "new" Dreamcast controllers on EBay, they were clearly used. EBay refunded my money and I never had to send them back. OP should be able to get a full refund no problems.

Send my Dreamcast controllers back..............please

RetroTechRewind

Crazed MVS Addict
Sorry you got burned. Happened to me with a copy of Metal Slug 4. I'd get audio, and the game would play, but no video. I reflowed the entire board, and fixed some of the bridged pins etc, now the thing won't boot at all. Now I'm out the money. Oh well.

On a related note, I have a complete Neo Turf Masters MVS kit I'd sell you. I bought it a year or so ago in a lot, but never played it. I'm going to have to check and make sure it isn't a boot now :lolz: Either way, I'd sell/trade it to you. Feel free to message me!

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Whenever you see an "untested" listing, check their other listings. A lot of times people will say "untested" but in another listing of theirs they are selling the system made for that board/cart and the system is apparently 100% working. Untested, right. Damn assholes.