Marquee tape residue removal

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
What's the safest way to remove tape residue off of a marquee?

Goo Gone gave it a nice citrus smell but that's all.

Last edited:

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
What's the safest way to remove tape residue off of a marquee?

Goo Gone gave it a nice citrus smell but that's all.

I always use googone, seems to always work for me, if it matters I use the gel version and I let it sit there awhile breaking down the stuff then scrape it off. Seems about 10+ mins does better for me then just immediately trying to Wipe it off. If you use anything heavier you will likely damage/fade the marquee. I think the next level up is like citristrip and that takes paint off.

ahcmetal

Super Spy Agent
10 Year Member
I've never had goo gone not work...eventually...

The longest I ever had to use it was multiple hour cycles of soaking and scraping with a plastic razor blade on some tape residue on a gray CPS2 cart...but it did work...

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior
A rubber. One of those white ones for pencils.

Rubber it, then clean the surface, rubber it again, clean it and so on until the surface it's perfect.

I use 90% alcohol to clean the surface.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
I tried a rubber, no luck.

The residue is baked on, not tacky at all. I can't scrape it with my fingernail even.

I'll try the goo gone gel overnight like Westcb mentioned.

It's just weird that all my usual methods have failed. It's for an uncommon game or I'd just get a repro marquee.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Marquee made of plastic?

...Use lighter fluid... (The stuff they use in old fashioned cigarette lighters...)...

It dissolves adhesive and evaporates quickly... just apply h=gently and wipe off excess....

xROTx

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Marquee made of plastic?

...Use lighter fluid... (The stuff they use in old fashioned cigarette lighters...)...

It dissolves adhesive and evaporates quickly... just apply h=gently and wipe off excess....

xROTx

Yes, plastic. I just don't know the type. It's an old Williams game, Mystic Marathon. Some of the cleaners I've looked at say safe on plastic except type x.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
Marquee made of plastic?

xROTx

This ^

Just go to any grocery/corner store and get Ronsonol lighter fluid for zippos. It's Naptha and works well for tape residue just as Rot mentioned. I've always had much better luck w/that than goo gone.

It also works well for shiny coated cardboard for price stickers and such.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
The Goo Gone gel cleaned a small area when I wiped it down for the lighter fluid. The fluid helped a little bit so far.

I'll keep at it a bit and probably douse it with gel before bed.

F'n pain in the arse:angry:

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
The combination of Goo Gone gel, lighter fluid and most importantly Krud Kutter did the trick.

Thanks for the suggestions and help.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
well thats nice!

118124213981.jpg

??