Guilty gaming pleasures

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
Pit Fighter. It's so cheesy but I have a blast every time I play it. I prefer playing the Arcade version but I had a ton of fun with the genny version when I was a kid.

That game is so bad that it's good. Love that game.

Yagyu Jubei

Dodgeball Yakuza
Sword of the Berserk. Early DC title. Horribly aged graphics and sloppy mechanics. Oh but teh blood

Gauntlet IV: The best old school Gauntlet on any platform. Been playing Gauntlet for 30 years and I still love it.

Space Harrier: It's not a shooter. It's an acid trip.

Def Jam: Fight for NY: Hip-Hop *AND* a solid fighter? Oh yes.

Pressing a random button during any Neo Geo Quiz game and getting the answer right on the first try.

FinalbossNYC

Zero's Tailor
Sword of the Berserk. Early DC title. Horribly aged graphics and sloppy mechanics. Oh but teh blood

Gauntlet IV: The best old school Gauntlet on any platform. Been playing Gauntlet for 30 years and I still love it.

Space Harrier: It's not a shooter. It's an acid trip.

Def Jam: Fight for NY: Hip-Hop *AND* a solid fighter? Oh yes.

Pressing a random button during any Neo Geo Quiz game and getting the answer right on the first try.

I was a Hardcore OG Gauntlet addict in the arcades and now you've made me wanna seek out IV.

also I loved hitting random buttons on quiz games years ago on my name cab... oh the lost hours.....

Steve

The Wonder Years,
It gets so much hate but Brandish and Double Dragon V both for the SNES. DDV is a crazy projectile-heavy game... some fighters have as many as three different unique fireballs. It's nutty as hell. It feels like a group of 10 year olds made the game and couldn't decide on which of the 3 different fireballs to give a character so they said ah fuck it, let's just include all 3.

It just cracks me up. Gameplay wise, while it's not "good" it's far from unplayable. I find it oddly enjoyable.

DAYTONAAAAAA!

If I'm walking through an arcade and hear that through the din, it's getting at least 2 plays out of me.

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
I feel a little guilty for liking Mirror's Edge as much as I do.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
sonic r is my favourite cart/mascot racer of all time.many consider it as one of the worst games ever made.but for me it's not just nostalgia talking,i truly think this game is a underrated gem.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
I like to sing along with the songs of Magic Pengel. Not in English, but in I-can't-speak-Japanese.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
I was a Hardcore OG Gauntlet addict in the arcades and now you've made me wanna seek out IV.

also I loved hitting random buttons on quiz games years ago on my name cab... oh the lost hours.....
Gauntlet IV has some of the best music for a genesis game.

Though i never consider it a bad game.It's a really good version of the arcade original.

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
BADDUDE.jpg

Bad Dudes arcade. The fact it references Ronnie by name makes it all the better.

Last edited:

Zapperkhan

Kula's Candy
Crusin' USA is sooo cheesy and good. Wouldn't say it's a guilty pleasure for me though. Probably something like DDR or police 911 where you look ridiculous playing it. I'm always self conscious for a minute till I get into the groove.

Last edited:

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Crusin' USA is sooo cheesy and good. Wouldn't say it's a guilty pleasure for me though. Probably something like DDR or police 911 where you look ridiculous playing it. I'm always self conscious for a minute till I get into the groove.

Arcade Crusin' USA, or N64?? The arcade one is great. The N64 version makes you a masochist. The only time i played Police 911 I fucked up my back, but those 5 minutes were fantastic.

Mac91

I wonder if anyone saved my dickpic?
10 Year Member
Gauntlet IV has some of the best music for a genesis game.

Though i never consider it a bad game.It's a really good version of the arcade original.

Ridiculously good ost on that game.

I play World of Tanks. Man, that game has the most toxic community ever. Plus the game can be incredibly frustrating. Still can't get enough of it.

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
A new guilty pleasure I'm developing is Gale Racer on the Saturn. It's so horrifically bad, it's practically unplayable. But the weather effects, driving at night and Sonic hanging from the mirror really gives it some nice charm.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
A new guilty pleasure I'm developing is Gale Racer on the Saturn. It's so horrifically bad, it's practically unplayable. But the weather effects, driving at night and Sonic hanging from the mirror really gives it some nice charm.

Gale Racer is on the list of all the saturn games i'm planning to buy.but now that i'v read your post,i'm not shore if i want it more or less :lolz:.

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
Gale Racer is on the list of all the saturn games i'm planning to buy.but now that i'v read your post,i'm not shore if i want it more or less :lolz:.

The short draw distance and pop-ups is what killed it for me. Could have been a decent game. Still worth a look if you can get it cheap.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Sonic R is like fifty times more playable with the NiGHTS controller.

Anyway, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers for SEGA Genesis. It's an incredibly basic sidescrolling beat em up, but I enjoy the hell out of it for whatever reason, Probably because I was at just the right age when the original Power Rangers show was on.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Anyway, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers for SEGA Genesis. It's an incredibly basic sidescrolling beat em up, but I enjoy the hell out of it for whatever reason, Probably because I was at just the right age when the original Power Rangers show was on.

Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers was a fighting game for the Genesis.
Power Rangers the Movie on the Genesis was the beat 'em up.

The SNES MMPR and (especially) Power Rangers the movie are both better though. Natsume is the best and I'll think the Power Rangers are cool until I'm 90.

Last edited:

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
The short draw distance and pop-ups is what killed it for me. Could have been a decent game. Still worth a look if you can get it cheap.

It's easy to get cheap. About five bucks on ebay.

It's nowhere near Outrun, Space Harrier, or any of the other scaling 2D games Sega made.

I've never played Rad Mobile (the arcade version of Gale Racer) but it does look better. It has better draw distance for one.

FinalbossNYC

Zero's Tailor
two more

1) WWF2000 on N64- I don't even like watching wrestling but I loved this game and will play for hours if you pop it in a 64. The creata character was fantastic

2)Crows on the JP Sega Saturn- I just love the manga so much I can't help but love this game, most people hate it. Lucky for me I got it over a decade ago before the word Retro was in front of Gaming, I guess it had a low print run or something cause this import goes for like 180-300. Craziness !

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I can't help but love this game, most people hate it.

So that makes it a guilty pleasure?

What do they know?

EDIT: The game isn't very good, but even if it was, I'm sure it would have the same exact rep it has today.

Last edited:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
So that makes it a guilty pleasure?

You nailed it. The problem lies within the lack of definition of what exactly a "guilty pleasure game" is. And though this might be the quintessence, that makes this sort of threads interesting in the first place, it also is the main source of pointless misunderstandings.

So what is it?

-- A game that was officially dismissed by some sort of authorities, i.e. print & internet media, like Nekketsu Oyako?

-- Could be a variant of the above, where critics dump a game, but acknowledge it's trash potential as an art form, like an Ed Wood flick. Plumbers Don't Wear Ties comes to mind.

-- Is it something clearly unplayable like the Rise of the Robots, and enjoyed not for being a game per se but a reminder of some sort on how right our parents were, when they restricted us our hobby?

-- Or maybe it's just something totally obscure and niche? Even though it has a cult following, a huge fanbase, high production values and a superb gameplay on top of that. IIRC, Waku Waku 7 was mentioned once in a thread like this.

-- A similar instance takes place within a series, where one has love for the weakest part and feels guilty because of it; see all KoF '01 discussions.

-- Suppose we just take it down to a pure subjective level, which would imply, that every game that you don't like but can't stop playing is a guilty pleasure? Well, anything goes from here...

There are just too many variables to form an ultimate definition. It would also take an incredible consensus to deem a game as bad, so you could pick it up and call it your guilty pleasure. Because even with an existing agreement, you'd probably find enough fans of that particular guilt, who'll fight on it calling it so. Well, video gaming in general is considered one big guilty pleasure to begin with, so... carry on ;).

MCF 76

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
I only have one that I can think of right now.

1. Altered Beast for PC Engine - Broken ass game that keeps me coming back. It's so easy to get juggled & killed by enemies. The game can be over in about a minute if you're not careful.

Thinking about getting this also.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Though I was being semi-rhetorical/tongue in cheeky and just trying to engage someone in a conversation about CROWS (won't happen), I think your response paints a very detailed and vivid picture of the guilty pleasure spectrum.

-- Could be a variant of the above, where critics dump a game, but acknowledge it's trash potential as an art form, like an Ed Wood flick. Plumbers Don't Wear Ties comes to mind.

-- Is it something clearly unplayable like the Rise of the Robots, and enjoyed not for being a game per se but a reminder of some sort on how right our parents were, when they restricted us our hobby?

I tend to view games as personal guilty pleasures when they fall within the bounds of these two descriptions.

Well, video gaming in general is considered one big guilty pleasure to begin with, so....

Yeah.

Last edited:

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
I enjoy the two Sailor Moon brawlers on SNES. They are girly, easy and cheesy but I like them.