How many gaming headphones do you have?

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
I roll with my Denon D2000s
powered by this beautiful piece of audio equipment:
View attachment 28877
Nice DAC/amp... I have a ODAC/O2amp powering my Sennheiser HD650s, wonder how the setups would compare. Couldn't really test other amps besides my stereo (Technics A700 MK3) and some older soundcards... the difference was huge already.

[Btw. fuck the Hate on the HD650s, the resolution is just sick and I'm totally fine with their "darker" sound.]

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
I was going to buy the Gold headset for the PS4 but turns out i can use my old headphones(Audio Technica ATH-M50) w/ blue yeti for my mic.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Fuck yeah dude, that setup is sweet.

I'm not rolling a headphone amp right now, but I should... it would make my Grado 225's sound even better. But everything sounds good on a Fiio X3 anyway...

not for nothing, there are plenty of low priced dac/amps that sound great. I used to run my d2000s on an old nuforce amp that cost like 60 bucks and it sounded great. I think you can something decent now in the sub $100 area. It might not be as good as a dacmini, but I bet it's still better than an onboard headphone amp.

Grado's are great, but I feel you can benefit greatly by going to a closed set of cans. The D2000s got discontinued, but I'm sure's plenty of good alternatives out there (don't buy beats).

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Nice DAC/amp... I have a ODAC/O2amp powering my Sennheiser HD650s, wonder how the setups would compare. Couldn't really test other amps besides my stereo (Technics A700 MK3) and some older soundcards... the difference was huge already.

[Btw. fuck the Hate on the HD650s, the resolution is just sick and I'm totally fine with their "darker" sound.]

650s are super respectable. They're different sounds though. D2000s are bassy (think slower, realistic bass, not ghetto bass) but have an open sound to them due to their design and focus on highs. The 650s have silky mids, or at least that was my impression of them. I haven't geeked it out over headphones in a long time. Once you have a good setup, you'll never really think about upgrading.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
not for nothing, there are plenty of low priced dac/amps that sound great. I used to run my d2000s on an old nuforce amp that cost like 60 bucks and it sounded great. I think you can something decent now in the sub $100 area. It might not be as good as a dacmini, but I bet it's still better than an onboard headphone amp.

Grado's are great, but I feel you can benefit greatly by going to a closed set of cans. The D2000s got discontinued, but I'm sure's plenty of good alternatives out there (don't buy beats).

Hahahaha, I know damn well better then to buy beats. People buy beats for their looks more then their sound. I've had people personally admit this to me. :oh_no:

Open back cans actually have more natural sound than closed... but yes, bass response does suffer a bit. But I'm all about clarity anyway, so they are perfect for me.

My other pair of headphones are AKG 702's, which are insane in the soundstage department. Great for live recordings.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Yeah, agree with the real headphones line of thinking.

I use Grado SR225s with a Schiit Valhalla amp.

val2-main-1000.jpg

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I have 2 sets I guess.

I have a wireless one, but the mic is shit. I have to be eating it for people to hear me. Logitech L800

I have over ear set. Griffin Woodtone. Great sound. Super long cable. I really like them.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
650s are super respectable. They're different sounds though. D2000s are bassy (think slower, realistic bass, not ghetto bass) but have an open sound to them due to their design and focus on highs. The 650s have silky mids, or at least that was my impression of them. I haven't geeked it out over headphones in a long time. Once you have a good setup, you'll never really think about upgrading.
thanks for the insight. I was more interested in your amp, but your response to ki_atsushi pretty much covered that.

Zapperkhan

Kula's Candy
I run my current gen/pc stuff through an hdmi splitter that feeds optical into my mixamp while the picture goes to my monitor. When I'm using a console I have PC sound through usb to the mixamp and the console audio going through the optical to the mixamp. Super flexible setup and everything sounds great. I use AD700 for headphones which usually go on sale for like 70 bucks at some point every year. Incredible value in this setup I adore it so much.

http://i.imgur.com/3j1wQsZ.png

Attachments

• 3j1wQsZ.png
    3j1wQsZ.png
    5.9 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

cyd

New Challenger
I picked up a Bose qc15 back in 2010 while I was doing a lot of travel for work. Been using them for pretty much everything ever since.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
I ended up getting a few headphones with blackfriday deals, what do you guys use to store/hang them? Want some ideas for multiple headsets.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
I ended up getting a few headphones with blackfriday deals, what do you guys use to store/hang them? Want some ideas for multiple headsets.

I just use a cup hook. (Only applicable to certain headphones, obviously.)