I get no sound on my Golden Axe PCB

omegasit

Crossed Swords Squire
I just ordered a Golden Axe PCB through eBay and I am getting no sound. I have it going in through a supergun. I use a Sega 16 to Jamma converter. I tried the one that came with the board and no sound. I tried the one I have for my Shinobi board and still get no sound. Both converters work on my Shinobi board though. I messaged the seller and this is what he said:

"I wonder if for whatever reason the golden axe board isn't making contact with the audio pin on the connector. I had a similar issue from having a board pulled too tight and short wires

Some cabs like one i have has the speakers going directly to the board and not through the harness. His Shinobi may have the speakers directly to the board so when he uses the harness on the Golden Axe....no sound!"

Does this make sense? Is there something I should do?

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
System 16 boards have two ways of suiciding Using suicide batteries ala Capcom. One is that the 68000 dies and the game won't boot. The other way is the Z80 dies and you no longer have sound. You'll need to check to see if the Z80 is the suicide version, you'll know as it will look like a big black block. Show us a pic of the board and we can tell you. If you have to replace the Z80, then you'll also need some reprogrammed roms too.

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
It looks like the Z80 CPU is completely missing on your board. It should be in the socket underneath the NEC IC (D7759C).

omegasit

Crossed Swords Squire
Will this just require me to get that rom burned from someone, insert and done?

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
Well, you'll need a Z80 cpu first and see if it's outputting any sound at all. You may need some roms burned because it could have had an encrypted Z80 cpu in there before, but first of all you need a normal Z80 in that socket and see if that brings back the sound.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
Well the first thing you should be doing is filing a PayPal dispute...

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Wow, really? No Z80 and the guy claims the sound works?

omegasit

Crossed Swords Squire
I filed a return through ebay. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

bustedstr8

Trollbox Trade Federation,
Thats the intel8751 encrytped board. No special sound roms are needed. For $4 you should see if a Z80 does the trick. Not 100% sure but I think it needs a Z80A 4MHz.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
Maybe if OP gets lucky eBay will issue a refund and let him keep the board. Then he can try to fix it.

bustedstr8

Trollbox Trade Federation,
I have some on some parts boards. Send me your info and I will get you one.