The 1993 game selection - your favorites?

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Fatal Fury Special is the cream of the crop, though obviously not as revolutionary as Samurai Shodown was.

All 1993 games were decent or better except 3 Count Bout.

NGCDFreak

Belnar Institute Student
Samurai Spirits all the way I played this game to death at the Arcades.
and Fatal Fury special a little bit I guess.

zxtec

Cheng's Errand Boy
Definitely Samurai Shodown for me. Spent the most time and money on Shodown when it came out at the local arcade.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Fatal Fury Special for me then samurai shodown as a runner up.

thermaltreasure

Ninja Combat Warrior
If I was old enough to frequent an arcade in 93 and came across the Samurai Shodown attract screen then I'd be there with the rest of you and select it as my pick. But I wasn't so as much as I admire it's simplicity and favour it over the second Shodown title (SS1=Fave) I'll go with Fatal Fury Special.

I recall picking it up a FFS cart for cheap when I first got into MVS and it's just a beautiful game. It feels chunky, heavy, the music punchy, the colours bold. Tung's stage on a misty mountain, Jubei's stage with the wooden boards, Mai's boat stage, Venice, so much detail. Every time I put it in to play it hands my ass back to me but it doesn't feel unfair in an AOF2 kind of way. It's the game that made me pay more attention to the craftmanship and progression of earlier SNK titles.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Pretty much says it all. :cool:

IMG_20150913_100850.jpg

SamSho comes just next as my favorite Neo Geo I never play! :D
It gives me the same feeling I have towards SFIICE. I love the hell of it, but it's a Vs CPU game to me. I only extract fun from it if I play alone.
2P Vs is always better, but I don't like the way they use only Haomaru/Ukyo stage for 2P Vs. It's the game only flaw.

The presentation, characters, sound, graphics... everything is just about beautiful in those games.
I just like FFS better.

pmoniez

n00b
Fatal fury special though it was obviously a quality over quantity year. 94 has an awful lot more to offer.

konrad

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Fatal fury special
Samurai shodown

Last edited:

SNK416

King's Dry Cleaner
Samurai showdown was one of the first games I had. Even had the 3do version =P

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
Not a huge fan of anything this year, tbh. If I had to pick it'd be Fatal Fury Special followed by Samurai Shodown.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Sam Sho was revolutionary. It was about the smoothest fighter of 1993 (fuck off FFS with the stupid planes system).

Sengoku 2 was fun, but ultimately primative in design. Some of the sprites were just ugly.

The pickings were pretty sparse this year. Almost all were really great though.

3 Count Bout
Fatal Fury Special
Samurai Shodown
Sengoku 2
Spinmaster
World Heroes 2

My favorite here is Fatal Fury Special, but then so is everyone else.
Spinmaster. I don't like fighters except the SFII series.

cr8zykuban0

Igniz's Servent
fatal fury special has a special place for me since it was the first game i owned for my aes and loved how you can play as the boss caracters.

samurai shodown was and always will be a classic

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Funny that I (re-)found this thread.

Actually, 3 Count Bout gets absolutely NO love. Yet, I've been rocking to its OST the whole past weekend.
It's actually very thrashy. The chars needed a bit more of ... "character" to make it more memorable.

The presentation, sound, graphics are all in there. Shame it's a button-destroyer. It gets more mashing than a non-autofire shmup!

konrad

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
For me words heroes 2 and samurai shodown will always be very remembered.

sunder

n00b
As a kid in South East Asia after years of Street Fighter 2, seeing Samurai Shodown for the first time was like someone lit a fire under my ass.
It literally was the first MVS cart I had to get for myself.
Also to OP, Im so glad you chose these years as the point of discussion. These were the years that defined the Neo Geo for me.