The 1993 game selection - your favorites?

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
The pickings were pretty sparse this year. Almost all were really great though.

3 Count Bout
Fatal Fury Special
Samurai Shodown
Sengoku 2
Spinmaster
World Heroes 2

My favorite here is Fatal Fury Special, but then so is everyone else.

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
Samurai Shodown all the way! That game was totally mind blowing back in '93.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Was that all that came out that year? Damn.

Fatal Fury Special for me, although Samurai Showdown is very close.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
Fatal Fury Special is so great that it could be compared with todays 2d fighters. . . ...... and win.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
It was really the first fighter snk made that showed they were for real and could make them just as good as Capcom. I think Samurai Shodown was quite a bit more popular at the time though.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
samurai shodown 2 is highly comparable with fatal fury special.but samurai shodown 1 not so much. maybe comparable with art of fighting 1 and fatal fury 1.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
Only 6 games came out in 1993? That seems awfully low.

Anyway, from that list, my answer is SamSho by a country mile.

Yagyu Jubei

Dodgeball Yakuza
Samurai Shodown FTW

Sengoku 2 is one of the best beat-em-ups for the Neo but I never actually played it until the early 2000's during the Sengoku 3 hype.

klee123

Zero's Secretary
Definitely Samsho.

It was unlike anything else at the time and in my opinion was the game which put SNK on equal footing to Capcom during the time.

marktheshark

Morden's Lackey
Gotta agree with the others here, Samsho 1 just can't be beat. From what I've played of it, Sengoku 2 is pretty great and earns itself 2nd place. The only other '93 Neo game that I've played was Fatal Fury Special. Can't say that I'm a really big fan of FFS or early 90's fighters in general, except for a few (Samsho 1 being one of them).

Yagyu Jubei

Dodgeball Yakuza
Fatal Fury Special is one of the most balanced fighters out there. It's was my favorite FF game until Garou came along.

Setherial

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
The pickings were pretty sparse this year. Almost all were really great though.

3 Count Bout
Fatal Fury Special
Samurai Shodown
Sengoku 2
Spinmaster
World Heroes 2

My favorite here is Fatal Fury Special, but then so is everyone else.
FFS over SS? Hhmm, it's a though one but I have to go with SS.

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
Fell in love with Neo when I found World Heroes 2.

Bill Kilgore

Sent Rot A Secret Santa.Didn't Get Banned.FOOKIN A
but he just did

Can anyone tell me what is so good about FFS? I find the early FF games not that interesting and SS is the clear winner for me. I get some nice early 90's vibes when playing Sengoku 2 and Spinmaster to. Duck King's stage in FFS is really awesome though.

Last edited:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Can anyone tell me what is so good about FFS? I find the early FF games not that interesting and SS is the clear winner for me.

Looking beyond the aesthetic and thematic qualities so many love (myself included), it's because of the game's engine. Actual hit stun, combos, a type of character playstyle variety which feels relatively exotic in comparison to SF II and other fighters of the time.

Play FF2 for a bit, then FFS, and you should be able to see the differences between the engines. It was really SNK's first (ok second, SS1) fighting game that was competent enough to run with the SFII titles.
The Neo Fighting games before hand felt more like pre- SFII novelties. FF2 tried to be like "Ok, let's make this like SFII", but it missed the mark engine wise. FFS rectified this.

Last edited:

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
I'm a massive neo fan but not big on fighting games so it's sengoku 2. slim pickings from heavymachinegun's 93 release list for me, i have played samurai showdown and fatal fury special and suck monkey balls at both, an 8 year old could whoop me at them...

FinalbossNYC

Zero's Tailor
Samurai Showdown is the game that drew me in to SNK fighting games, so innovative. I was on vacation and I found it a hotel rec room and never left its side at nights till we went home. Shortly after bought a used Genesis just to play it at home. Few years later it was the second AES title I bought.

dondi

Crazed MVS Addict
Samurai Shodown was blowing my mind! The fighters, the backgrounds and the magic of the swordfight! I guess SS2 is one of the best games on neo...

Bill Kilgore

Sent Rot A Secret Santa.Didn't Get Banned.FOOKIN A
Looking beyond the aesthetic and thematic qualities so many love (myself included), it's because of the game's engine. Actual hit stun, combos, a type of character playstyle variety which feels relatively exotic in comparison to SF II and other fighters of the time.

Play FF2 for a bit, then FFS, and you should be able to see the differences between the engines. It was really SNK's first (ok second, SS1) fighting game that was competent enough to run with the SFII titles.
The Neo Fighting games before hand felt more like pre- SFII novelties. FF2 tried to be like "Ok, let's make this like SFII", but it missed the mark engine wise. FFS rectified this.

Thank you for clearing this up, andsuchisdeath. Fatal Fury Special did have the right speed to.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Fatal Fury Special.

Though I do love SS, WH2, and Sengoku. I don't have Spinmasters and 3 Count Bout is meh.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I'd go with SS and FF3 as they ate great fighters with much different styles. Also, I'm a spinmaster fan and its fun in short bursts