IFKZ's Neo Geo Collections

ifkz

n00b
Neo Geo hardware has always been in short supply and high demand no matter what current systems are on the market. I was finally able to join the Neo Geo collecting community in the middle of the PS2 era with a boxed USA region Neo Geo CD. I bought the system at a used game store locally and I purchased as many of the games as they had in stock for good prices. I have been adding games since that time as I could find and/or afford them.

My current Neo Geo CD list:
1 Samurai Shodown II USA
2 Twinkle Star Sprites JAPAN
3 Viewpoint USA
4 Top Hunter JAPAN
5 Puzzle Bobble JAPAN
6 Real Bout Fatal Fury JAPAN
7 King of Fighters '94 JAPAN
8 Sonic Wings 2 JAPAN
9 Fatal Fury 3 JAPAN
10 Samurai Shodown JAPAN
11 Samurai Shodown RPG JAPAN
12 Fatal Fury Special JAPAN
13 Last Resort USA
14 Ninja Commando JAPAN
15 Flying Power Disc JAPAN
16 The Last Blade JAPAN
17 Mutation Nation JAPAN
18 Real Bout Fatal Fury Special JAPAN
19 Samurai Shodown III USA
20 Samurai Shodown IV USA
21 King of Fighters '95 USA
22 Real Bout Fatal Fury 2: Newcomers USA
23 Art of Fighting 3: Path of the Warrior USA
24 The Last Blade 2 USA

About mid-way into collecting for the Neo Geo CD, I finally found a good price on a AES (Gold) Neo Geo bundle, also factory set to the USA region. The AES is what got me to join this forum and members here were happy to help me start my collection of home carts. My very first AES game, KOF 2000, was thanks to a member on this forum...I did not even know for sure that the system worked when before I got the game.

1 KOF 2000 JPN
2 Samurai Shodown (no manual) USA
3 Samurai Spirits II JPN
4 King of the Monsters USA
5 Art of Fighting JPN
6 Magician Lord USA
7 Sengoku USA
8 Last Blade (printed cover, old style box, no manual) JPN
9 Cyber Lip (carton box) JPN
10 Nam1975 USA
11 ASO II USA
12 Blue's Journey USA
13 Ghost Pilots USA
14 Super Spy USA
15 Art of Fighting 2 JPN
16 Super Baseball 2020 JPN
17 Fatal Fury Special JPN
18 Riding Hero (comm cable in tray) USA
19 Galaxy Fight (no manual) JPN
20 Samurai Spirits III JPN
21 Fighter's History Dynamite JPN
22 World Heroes 2 (manual cover only) EURO
23 Fatal Fury (Japan region manual) USA
24 King of Fighters 95 JPN
25 Burning Fight (printed cover, old style box, no manual) JPN
26 Crossed Swords (no manual) USA
27 Ninja Combat USA

I had to set a strict limit of under $100 for each AES game and I have so far lived by this rule. As I go over the release lists of what else I am reasonably able to find that is left, I get the feeling that finding other games is going to be a matter of good luck. I have also not found a top (ohh...ahhh!) game for my AES collection yet, but I would like that to be one of the games from the Slug series. Will that happen, though? Obviously the limit goes out the window, but I also own the Anthology set on the PS2 which is a good substitute. Anyone have a suggestions for a top AES game? Maybe there is one I have not considered yet.

Here is a picture from my first year of AES collecting, I hope to add some updated pictures in the future.

test.jpg

Last edited:

Eastrouk

n00b
Hi IfKz,
Good post!! I have only just got back in to the Neo Geo scene after life got in the way ....and have recently got a nice jap AES all boxed matching serials and around 5 low end jap carts to get started again! I used to have a fair amount of games which back in the day were reasonably priced and now I can see they go for hundreds like Top Hunter/ Miracle Adventure, cyber Lip etc ... I guess scammers/eBay re-sellers have ruined it now .... Here's hoping a return to the glory days!!! Once my collection gets better I will post some pics ...... Gunner be spending this wknd playing on some fighters! Easto

Eastrouk

n00b
Hi IfKz,
Good post!! I have only just got back in to the Neo Geo scene after life got in the way ....and have recently got a nice jap AES all boxed matching serials and around 5 low end jap carts to get started again! I used to have a fair amount of games which back in the day were reasonably priced and now I can see they go for hundreds like Top Hunter/ Miracle Adventure, cyber Lip etc ... I guess scammers/eBay re-sellers have ruined it now .... Here's hoping a return to the glory days!!! Once my collection gets better I will post some pics ...... Gunner be spending this wknd playing on some fighters! Easto

AlexKidd86

Overtop Pathfinder
Nice collection. I also have a price limit for my AES games ($200). A lot of the ones you have would go for $100 or more at this point. If you're looking for another game that's in your price range, I would recommend Baseball Stars Professional. Not sure if you're into baseball games but that is one of my favorites. What do you mean by a top game though? A more expensive one? I wish you luck but you certainly won't be finding a Slug game for $100 or less.

ifkz

n00b
...What do you mean by a top game though?

I have to be honest with myself. There are only a few under $100 AES carts that I can reasonably find: King of the Monsters 2, Crossed Swords, and perhaps one of the early KOF games. If I get very lucky, I might find a mis-priced Robo Army or Andro Dunos. These might have to be box and cart only to fit the price. They all look like fun games.

After those are bought I would want to buy one last game ($250 budget) that is an uncommon late release with top-tier animation/graphics/gameplay. Like my copy of The Last Blade: I bought it loose, just under my limit, and later found a soft case for storage so it would blend in with the other games on the shelf when not being played. I would love another Last Blade quality game.

The nearest I can think of that could possibly fit that budget would be a loose cart of Metal Slug 4, Matrimelee, SVC Chaos, or Voltage Fighter Gowcaizer. I am always looking for ideas from the community of AES collectors here that might have another recommendation to research and help me decide.

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
The nearest I can think of that could possibly fit that budget would be a loose cart of Metal Slug 4, Matrimelee, SVC Chaos, or Voltage Fighter Gowcaizer. I am always looking for ideas from the community of AES collectors here that might have another recommendation to research and help me decide.

Honestly, save your money. Matrimelee & SVC Chaos are decent, but there are many better fighters (and other kinds of games) on the system. If you don't care about owning complete games, you should really go for a CMVS or MVS to AES converter. The MVS route gives you an expanded library, more available second-hand carts, and affordability (at least compared to AES).

RetroTechRewind

Crazed MVS Addict
Nice collection so far!

I agree with the others. If price is an issue, I'd suggest a CMVS and MVS carts too. I'm, however, one of those people who apparently hate my wallet, so I collect for MVS and AES. Either way, a CMVS or MVS-AES converter is the way to go for the money conscious.

EDIT: I might get flamed for this, but a Multicart, like the 161-in-1 is a nice thing to have if you're just looking to find games that you like. I bought one when I got my first cabinet, and have been buying the legit copies of the games I like ever since.

Last edited:

ifkz

n00b
What a year, I finally crossed the 25 mark for AES titles and I feel that is worthy of a celebration or something. It is so hard to find titles I do not have in my price range!

I also have added some descriptions to some of my titles to clarify the condition. I do not know if anyone would look down on this collection but it's mine and it gets played and enjoyed. Just having some of these titles loose is quite a thrill! I am glad I have found empty boxes to keep these loose carts in and members have been nice to directing me to useful art that I can stitch together.

Does anyone one have anything else AES that can be had for sub-$100? I am rapidly running into a wall; I either have it on my Neo CD or it is not available.

Fire Suplex? Joy Joy Kid? League Bowling? Baseball Stars or Super Sidekicks? King of the Monsters 2? World Heroes (1)? Get a double of KOF '94 while it is still available? Please, any suggestions are welcome. I even have an old style soft case ready to be filled with a loosie hard-to-find game.

Last edited:

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
From what I gathered, MVS is the next step.

From what I've seen so far, building a console mvs looks like a lot of fun.