New Astro city Ms9 Monitor Problem

EVLNEOGEO

n00b
Hi all,

I recently got myself an NAC and I started to experience monitor problems really quick.

I have sent the chassis away and it has been refurbished, 2 pots where replaced and 10 caps.

Unfortunately the image still has a vertical stutter (jitter) Im not sure how to describe it, I have included a video but basically the monitor seems to be unable to keep the vertical aspect of the image stable.

This seems to happen after a few minutes play. A local friend is lending me a PCB just to check to see if I have the same issue.

This is the link to the video, is very easy to notice the jitter when looking at the edge of the image.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvOy1IKn448

Its the whole image that jitters not just the top and bottom its just most visible their.

If anyone can help that would be amazing.

Last edited:

TonK

Least Valuable Player
Looks like your horizontal position pot may still be acting up. Take the PCB off and look and see if there is any rust in it or underneath. Check the traces as well.

EVLNEOGEO

n00b
Thanks Tonk do you mean on the remote board? I have had a good look at the traces and the pot. All looks ok, also if it was traces and/or pots would the issue be present from power on rather than a few minutes of play?

TonK

Least Valuable Player
Thanks Tonk do you mean on the remote board? I have had a good look at the traces and the pot. All looks ok, also if it was traces and/or pots would the issue be present from power on rather than a few minutes of play?

I'll admit, I'm really not the best qualified to answer this, but I know someone who is, I'll send them a link to this thread.

EVLNEOGEO

n00b
I'll admit, I'm really not the best qualified to answer this, but I know someone who is, I'll send them a link to this thread.

Thanks mate. I have had a proper tech deal with the chassis but now the fault persist I think he wants me to send it back to him. Either way if you can help I would appreciate. The monitors giving me headaches :(

TonK

Least Valuable Player
Thanks mate. I have had a proper tech deal with the chassis but now the fault persist I think he wants me to send it back to him. Either way if you can help I would appreciate. The monitors giving me headaches :(

Waiting on a response from him.

EVLNEOGEO

n00b
Waiting on a response from him.

Thank you Tonk, the chassis is back off to the tech again this week to look at the v hold circuitry and it will be interesting to see what your friend thinks.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
Thank you Tonk, the chassis is back off to the tech again this week to look at the v hold circuitry and it will be interesting to see what your friend thinks.

Let me know what happens. I'll get an answer to you as soon as I get one. Good luck bud!

TonK

Least Valuable Player
Here's what he said:

First thing to check is playing with the v-hold and v-size to see if it can stabilize the picture.

If that does nothing I'd check the Sync Deflection IC. IDK its U# on the MS9, but it has one. He has to look at the schematic.

Since he states it happens after a few mins, that IC might be stressed and is getting too hot.

Hope that helps!

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
I think it is a capacitor problem. You might just need to replace them. I prefer to recap old monitors personally.

EVLNEOGEO

n00b
I think it is a capacitor problem. You might just need to replace them. I prefer to recap old monitors personally.

This is exactly what the tech advised who the chassis is now with, Maybe one of the caps which controls the vertical hold circuitry is just off. Apart from this the monitor is great as well which gives me hope that when it is resolved the experience playing the machine will only be more rewarding. It's been enjoyable just learning about the cab and electronics alone! Pricey though lol.

KaPH33n

Sieger's Squire
Here's what he said:

Hope that helps!

Could also try hitting that IC with freezer spray to see if that fixes the problem temporarily. Then you know the component is actually overheating.

EVLNEOGEO

n00b
Thanks for all the responses, I forwarded the most of it to the tech who has the monitor just in case it helps his repair. I really appreciate the info, Does anyone know how hard it would be to source the right IC chip?

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
I'd assume easy, just take down the exact IC number, and find it on ebay or something.

EVLNEOGEO

n00b
Cool, I spoke to the guy with my chassis today he said it was on his list to check. Ill update thread accordingly over the next few weeks.

EVLNEOGEO

n00b
The Tech called me today said he is having trouble finding out exactly what is going on but he does not think it is the IC chip as he said it would do it constantly.

He is going to replace all the vertical hold related circuitry caps and see how it goes. Fingers crossed.

EDIT: Caps replaced and the problem persists - Diodes are now being checked.

Last edited: