CPS2 boot loop

mookie3three

Mr. Big's Thug
Hi Guys,

I have a Super Street Fighter II: New Challengers board on battery that boots ups and loops on these two screens. I cannot get into test mode. I have tried different A boards. It has been tested on other cabs. Other B boards work fine on the A boards.

Any ideas?

Cheers

2i6zck6.jpg
mjr5si.jpg

Last edited:

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
This is likely a power issue. I have the same problem with one of my superguns because the PSU isn't beefy enough to drive CPS2. These are power hogs. Try checking your voltage at the board.

If voltage is good check your 68000 reset line.

Last edited:

mookie3three

Mr. Big's Thug
This is likely a power issue. I have the same problem with one of my superguns because the PSU isn't beefy enough to drive CPS2. These are power hogs. Try checking your voltage at the board.

If voltage is good check your 68000 reset line.

Where do I check voltage on the board and where is the reset line?

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
You'll need a multimeter. Place the black lead on Jamma pin 1 then place the red lead on pin 6 on the Jamma edge. That will give you the 12v reading. If its low, (and I see you have a AWSD), you'll need to adjust the 12v line. I forget which pot you have to turn. It should be labeled.

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
Could also be an error in the program ROMs causing this. You could read the program ROMs (if you have a programmer) and confirm they match the parent set in MAME which should be that revision. Also check the 01 ROM is good.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Could also be an error in the program ROMs causing this. You could read the program ROMs (if you have a programmer) and confirm they match the parent set in MAME which should be that revision. Also check the 01 ROM is good.

Bingo, I have run across this fault numerous times and it has always been a corrupt program.

mookie3three

Mr. Big's Thug
I've checked all the program roms and rom 01 against the MAME sets and all checked ok. However I did notice that on one or two of the program roms, one of the legs were bent quite bad ie: in half, and maybe when putting the roms back on the board they are re-bending and not making connection.

So I might try and reburn onto some new eeproms and see if that makes a difference.

Also checked voltage and I'm getting 11.8 on 12v and 4.8 on 5v. I don't know if that's too low, but I don't have issues with any other CPS2 or any jamma board for that matter on my cab. Also this board does the same thing on another persons cab. May test on my supergun to elimate voltage, but I'm leaning more towards the legs on some of the eeproms not making contact.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
4.8 is definitely too low, that's the same problem I have with my supergun PSU.

mookie3three

Mr. Big's Thug
I use one of these adapters that I got off Franco for button 4,5&6 to CPS2 kick harness.
os6gzp.jpg

I removed that and just used the cabs Jamma connector and measured the voltage and got 5.1 and 12 exactly. Tested the board without the adapter and still the same symptoms, so I can eliminate voltage.

I'm leaning towards bent pins on the eeproms. Anyone had issues before with the subboard?

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Are the program roms mismatched.

Wait a minute, it's battery powered. I have also run across many b boards where the encryption itself had corrupted. Time to phoenix it.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
it is an outside chance it needs phoenix but at the moment I still think the issue itself is with the program EPROMS. If you have enough spare you could try and program the games program ROMs onto different chips? I have seen once in the past where a game did not like the selection of 27c4096 used given there were three different brands.

Raz

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Time to convert it to Progear and flog it off for maximum profit! :D

mookie3three

Mr. Big's Thug
I've reprogrammed all program roms and rom 1a, still the same issue. Next I'll try another sub board, as I have a working SSFII. If the issue is still there I will phoenix it.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
That's great news although it does not really point to what the original issue was. The encryption information would have been fully intact or else it would not have booted at all. Outside chance that the size of the encrypted region had failed, would be the first time I have heard of that though. My money is still on the issue was one of the EPROMS acting weird.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
That's great news although it does not really point to what the original issue was. The encryption information would have been fully intact or else it would not have booted at all. Outside chance that the size of the encrypted region had failed, would be the first time I have heard of that though. My money is still on the issue was one of the EPROMS acting weird.

I had the exact same issue with the same game raz. My program roms were just fine, in the end after I phoenixed the board it was back up and running fine.

Kpj

Larfleeze, Wielder of the Orange Light. , formerly
Mainman,

I tried PMing you, but your mailbox is full. I sent you an email.

Kpj

I had the exact same issue with the same game raz. My program roms were just fine, in the end after I phoenixed the board it was back up and running fine.

Kpj

Larfleeze, Wielder of the Orange Light. , formerly
Hey Mainman, your PM box is full again.

(Please excuse the bumps)