KOF14 announced for 2016 on PS4

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
And I think Neowave plays more like 01?.

Neowave is based off of '02. They threw in some different characters and some of the characters were nerfed and buffed like SFIV loves to do. Iori and Jhun were monsters in that game from the buffs.

IMO it never took off because it was too similar to '02. Still a solid fighter and had one of the best Playmore netcodes on xbox.

Strider77

Zero's Secretary
Sorry, but no.

I hate, absolutely HATE the style they went with SF4 and now SF5. It's horrible and it doesn't capture the spirit of what SF used to be. We got the pinnacle at SF3 and then they went down the drain with SF4.

KOFXIII was miles ahead of SF4 and as a great fan of Capcom games I wondered why the fuck didn't they go for high res sprites instead of those ugly, gum-like hyper-pumped ridiculous 3D models.

My hopes were high for SFV to be like Guilty Gear but it was soon crushed.

Tekken is ok. The art style suits it. To each game its own.

lololololol

mehguy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Sorry, but no.

I hate, absolutely HATE the style they went with SF4 and now SF5. It's horrible and it doesn't capture the spirit of what SF used to be. We got the pinnacle at SF3 and then they went down the drain with SF4.

KOFXIII was miles ahead of SF4 and as a great fan of Capcom games I wondered why the fuck didn't they go for high res sprites instead of those ugly, gum-like hyper-pumped ridiculous 3D models.

My hopes were high for SFV to be like Guilty Gear but it was soon crushed.

Tekken is ok. The art style suits it. To each game its own.

Hate 3d grafix or what?

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior
I don't really see how all the street fighters are so similar. They all have completely different styles of art direction.

View attachment 29320
View attachment 29321

After reading this, I completely lost interest in the discussion.

No offense meant, obviously, it's just that someone telling me that from SF1 to SF3 they used COMPLETELY different art styles... meh, kind of puts me off.

Life goes on.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
After reading this, I completely lost interest in the discussion.

No offense meant, obviously, it's just that someone telling me that from SF1 to SF3 they used COMPLETELY different art styles... meh, kind of puts me off.

Life goes on.
Yeah, after someone posts a visual example clearly showing how full of shit your imaginary argument is, suddenly you lose interest in discussing it. Yay for integrity.

In terms of art direction, there is a MUCH bigger difference between SF1 and SFA than there is between SFA and SF4 & 5. If you can't see that, I don't believe you can see well enough to play a fighting game in the first place.

Go ahead and be put off.

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior
I'd like to kindly remind you I was the one in the first place telling him to go find a picture with the same character in the various iteration put side by side, to make my point more obvious.

He did and still couldn't see my point. Maybe you haven't noticed how I didn't go on offending him in any way, like "showing him how full of shit his imaginary argument is", I just let it slide because if even with the picture right in front of his eyes he can't tell the jump done by capcom's artists in the transition to 3D, then it's simply no use.

Chill dude, it's ok. No one's hurt.
Have a beer and carry on.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
This just goes to show how crappy their new game announcement has been.

SF5 gets announced and everyone's excited to discuss the gameplay changes and graphics. Ono and Capcom have been releasing steady character announcements, an open beta, and quality gameplay demonstrations to keep people hyped and engaged while also improving their game based off of beta and fan feedback.

KOF 14 gets announced and everyone's bummed. We get one lousy trailer that barely shows anything other than what feels like a proof of concept. Discussions are only about the graphics sucking ass, and other tangents that don't really have much to do with the game due to there being little we can talk about from such small table scraps.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
The saddest part of the whole situation is if they just showed the logo and that's it everybody would still be hyped because just the fact that it's being made is an accomplishment in itself.

Hakkai

Dodgeball Yakuza
15 Year Member
Did I miss this?

I'll give it the benefit of the doubt, this reveal was definitely lackluster. All things considered-of what was shown(very little), characters are okay. Their quality reminds me of the Maximum Impact FMVs. The Background is by far the weakest part, it has weird depth perspective and its presentation screams unfinished, not to mention very low-resolution/bare for a PS4 title. It's like they took Tizoc's stage, got rid of the audience, then added the facade of Neo-Geo land/Osaka skyline in the background in a circular arena. Nitpicking further, is it another case of classic Engrish when it shows Burn to Fight instead of Born to Fight? I do kinda dig the KOF logo, though the border kinda makes the K look like an R (ROFL?).

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
KOF XII (arcade and PS3) graphically was perfect, I get that some people don't like the art direction, my only problem with XII was the dumb AI and the lack of Geese Neowave at the end, that would have been amazing 'cause the game feels like 95 all over again, more like a Fatal Fury vs Art of Fighting featuring KOF characters.

KOF XIII was nice but the lack of zoom in/out and blurred sprites really turns me off, the system is nice different than XII, not necessarily better, just different, they both have good systems.

As for this new one, well I'm patient, I'll just wait for the finished product, so far I'm not loosing faith, it looks like a cleaner Maximum Impact, hopefully without the falcoon designs, they were atrocious. I enjoyed Maximum Impact and 2006 or MI2.

On the SF side, SF has never done wrong by me, ever since SFII, I have no complaints whatsoever, my favorite series for sure. I'm eager to play SFV but I don't like that Charlie or Nash is not a charger anymore...:(

Last edited:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
...my only problem with XII was the dumb AI...

Interesting mention since versus fighting games are supposed to be played against a human opponent. So why bother to dive into the AI, which eventually will always become dumber the more one plays. The pattern becomes evident, abuse self-acting.

Kzero

n00b
I'm somewhat excited for this. I've never really been a KOF fan, but watching it at EVO has been pretty hype the past couple of years. I was a bit disappointed by the trailer, but I don't think it's something to really fuss over. They should have tried harder, but lesson learned for next time. Hopefully, lol. SFV is pretty exciting because of the way damage is scaled and stun meter builds, which makes it more straight forward. No more 45 second footsies into ultra's and focus attacks. R.Mika needs a HUGE adjustment though. She's ridiculous in the beta right now.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Interesting mention since versus fighting games are supposed to be played against a human opponent. So why bother to dive into the AI, which eventually will always become dumber the more one plays. The pattern becomes evident, abuse self-acting.

Thanks for stating the obvious. I agree though and I have played KOFXII with some friends but no one wants to put the time into it 'cause they can't play at home, the AI sucks and the netcode sucks, not hard but is sucks, so you're left with training mode...that's it.

Jesus Oli, don't you ever play fighting games against the AI? Go play some KOF95 and abuse the AI, I'd like to see you try.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Yeah, I guess it's still strange to read that an AI could be considered a gamebreaker in a versus fighter. Regarding KoF though, well actually, I played '95 in late '95 and was quite good at it. Trying it now? That would be the death of me... and a waste of the most talented Turfer on these boards. That said, I'd like to see you try Scotland ;).

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I wanna, once I get off my ass and burn a copy, forget 300 bucks for a disc...no way!

ritsuka666

n00b
Last edited:

Fygee

20 Year Member
OMGFFFFFF I am hyped as Fu** !!!! Finally people will stop the drama about the '' grapahix '' of new KOF...

I highly doubt that. If the graphics look the same, expect to see even more complaints because they haven't improved since the release trailer.

I think this is easily the most tepid fan response I've seen to a new main KOF in the series' history. Each year everyone was brimming with excitement, particularly with KOF XII was announced, and now its all just one big "meh".

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
I know I will get a lot of disagreements here, but the worst meh experience I've seen for a KOF title was KOF '98 when it first came out. At the time the gamer crowd thought the graphics were everything. Street Fighter III showed what next gen graphics looked like then KOF '98 came out. Same graphics, very similar play control (at 1st glance) and the stages were meh at best. I remember my ex roomate brought the PSX copy to an anime convention and most played it for a second and walked away.

I find it interesting that over time it was considered possibly the best KOF title. Reminds me of the fall and rise of 3rd Strike.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I'd also walk away from the PS1 hokum, probably hooked with two PS1 pads, the bestest controller evar for a vs fighter.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
I hate playing fighters on a PSX pad. Always have always will. However the mainstream crowd seems to like it. Only time I get pissed is when people demand a perfectly good stick is taken away for a PSX pad. That riles me up a bit.

Fygee

20 Year Member
Honestly they could do much, much worse for a game director. Yeah he's been with Capcom forever, but at least he has the skills and know-how to make a good fighter.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Yeah pretty much. At least we know that the person working on the game actually has experience. With Capcom the king no less.

So I guess he wasn't working for Dimps then? Well hopefully the game is a lot more SFV and a lot less SFIV.