KOF14 announced for 2016 on PS4

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
I still would bet money it fizzles out fast for Max. Unless it's CVS3 it's just not his thing.

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
I'm glad to see Max playing this. He's been playing vastly inferior fare for years, although he's pretty damn good at fighters.

At least he likes Guilty Gear.

Although i feel Max phones in some of the hype. Hes one of the biggest members of the FGC, and i'm sure he helps bring in a new crowd of people. So if it brings more attention to KOF XIV, i'm cool with it

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Although i feel Max phones in some of the hype. Hes one of the biggest members of the FGC, and i'm sure he helps bring in a new crowd of people. So if it brings more attention to KOF XIV, i'm cool with it

While he absolutely will bring more attention to the game, Max isn't part of the FGC. His Marvel tutorial videos are/were entertaining and he shows up to his local majors to play KI but he's popular mostly because he screams like Pewdiepie over trailers. No one takes him seriously or thinks he provides anything of value to the community.

I mean more power to the guy. Go get those Youtube bucks. Just saying he's big outside of the FGC but not so much within.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
They keep joking about it during in-game convos. It's Tizoc.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
So when do the rest of us get to download the Nightmare Geese skin?

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
While he absolutely will bring more attention to the game, Max isn't part of the FGC. His Marvel tutorial videos are/were entertaining and he shows up to his local majors to play KI but he's popular mostly because he screams like Pewdiepie over trailers. No one takes him seriously or thinks he provides anything of value to the community.

I mean more power to the guy. Go get those Youtube bucks. Just saying he's big outside of the FGC but not so much within.

Everyone in the FGC knows who he is, and just because hes not a top competitor, doesn't mean hes not part of the FGC. Yes hes not in the lab breaking down characters or what not, but if he is turning people on to fighting games, i would consider that a member of the FGC. Not in the same vein of a TO.

100proof

10 Year Member
Everyone in the FGC knows who he is, and just because hes not a top competitor, doesn't mean hes not part of the FGC. Yes hes not in the lab breaking down characters or what not, but if he is turning people on to fighting games, i would consider that a member of the FGC. Not in the same vein of a TO.

Everybody in the FGC knows who Pewdiepie is too... doesn't make him part of the FGC. You called him "one of the biggest members of the FGC". You can start back-pedaling now if you want but I was merely pointing out as someone who actively follows that scene and travels to tournaments occasionally (though nowhere near as much as 15 years ago) that no one gives a shit about Max and he's mostly a running punchline in those circles.

Once again, I'm not shitting on the guy. Seriously... good for him for hustling and being able to make money off something he's passionate about and he's great for bringing casual eyeballs to games that might not otherwise get the love they deserve. He just ceased being a fixture in the FGC years ago when he became another Youtube game banshee.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
You realize the FGC doesn't just mean the tourney crowd right? FGC means the Fight Game Community. Meaning the Tourney, Local Casuals, Online Matches, Online Discussion, everything bringing together people who play fighters.

I get why you think Max is a punch line. Seen it as well at tourneys, and considering he used to play fighters 80% of the time and now plays them maybe 40% of the time I'm sure the FGC feels like he's less included since his channel has been branching out possibly too much. However he brings in the crowds no matter what the game is. I keep him on my Twitch list to see if he's playing something I like simply because I can get games in.

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
Everybody in the FGC knows who Pewdiepie is too... doesn't make him part of the FGC. You called him "one of the biggest members of the FGC". You can start back-pedaling now if you .

Choice of words could have been better, but He is a member of the FGC, just not one that many members of the FGC care for. Hes more popular than most though. Don't mistake popularity with quality. I'm not saying hes better, or more important that other people, But hes pretty damn popular. Personally i don't enjoy his content, but many new comers and casuals of the FGC do. We may not like to admit it, but casuals and new comers are an important part of the FGC, or any scene for that matter,.

100proof

10 Year Member
We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I see where you're coming from but it's always been my assertion that the FGC is the family of dedicated players that organize, facilitate, play in and contribute to the competitive tournament scene. You can contribute in a number of ways (pot monsters, Twitch streamers, tournament organizers, content makers, etc.) but simply liking fighting games doesn't make you a member of the FGC. In the mid-to-late 90s, there were a shitton of people buying and playing fighting games but not a whole lot of people who were part of the community... just a bunch of people playing arcade mode at home and screwing around with their friends.

The FGC has its own vernacular, its own methodology and its own hierarchy that is separate from people who simply enjoy and play fighting games.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
As an outsider, I have to agree with 100proof. I've played lots of fighting games at home and in arcades, but I've never considered myself part of the FGC.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
I can respect the opinion, but it's the elitist attitude a lot of the Tourney crowds have that put me off. It would be like saying MLB is the only real organized baseball. The minors doesn't exist. High School or College don't exist. It's all about MLB or nothing.

Tourneys don't help reach out to the newbs other then maybe streaming high level matches. They allow someone to play a new game, yes, but the tourney crowd does not hand hold. It's not there to show step by step what you can do. It's there for competition. KOF is sorely lacking in nurturing newbs. It takes sites like Dreamcancel.com, guys like Juicebox Abel, Dandy J, Hellpockets to push help onto the new generation so they continue to play and hopefully become the next Reynald, Romance, or El Rosa.

It's true, if you just sit at home and casually play once in a while you're not a part of the community, but people who consistently push to get people to play and understand fighting games and get into the culture of it are also in the FGC as well. If not for them, then a game will not exist for long.

Stefan

Philadelphia Freeman,
20 Year Member
The FGC has its own vernacular, its own methodology and its own hierarchy that is separate from people who simply enjoy and play fighting games.

Not to mention its own brand of criminality, money-grubbing, collusion, ghetto-macho-posturing, and hypocrisy. American-style 'hood thuggery at its most pathetic levels.

Last edited:

StaticX

The b00bs., Z'OMG The B00BS!,
15 Year Member
We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I see where you're coming from but it's always been my assertion that the FGC is the family of dedicated players that organize, facilitate, play in and contribute to the competitive tournament scene. You can contribute in a number of ways (pot monsters, Twitch streamers, tournament organizers, content makers, etc.) but simply liking fighting games doesn't make you a member of the FGC. In the mid-to-late 90s, there were a shitton of people buying and playing fighting games but not a whole lot of people who were part of the community... just a bunch of people playing arcade mode at home and screwing around with their friends.

If that's the case then the whole of Shoryuken.com isn't part of the FGC. You have your pros, your posers, your casuals and your newbs...... that's how it is in the world of the FGC. Max gets people interested, he is weird as hell, but he gets people to notice other games which 10 years ago none of these hipsters would of ever looked at.

I don't like him, but I know what he has done for that community compared to half of the retards that frequent or talk shit at SRK

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Kinda sad to be reading this but sales wise it's doing slightly worse than not xiii did. =(

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I was never expecting this game to garner massive sales. But as long as SNK can find ways to build on this, they can establish the brand in a new market. If Atlus helps them, this game will find a comfortable niche. And if it's a part the tournament scene for years to come, that will help.

SNK did itself no favors with the marketing of this series during its heyday. The advertising campaign for KOF XIV has been marvelous but rememger:

-PS4 exclusive
-Fighting game

This will not be an overnight turnaround.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Are you sure this worldwide sales and not Japan-only (where PS4's install base is very small)? Also, whatever figure it is, it's probably only for August, which count for about a week of the game's sales. It's probably too early to judge.

I'm under the impression this is doing far better than anyone has previously expected. Critics and users feedback is strongly positive (totally unexpected for me considering how SF5 was butchered, and still is even after the released content). Also, online is good, and it has KOF13's success to build on (whereas KOF13 had a very niche following prior to its release).

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Also if this is the same sales numbers SFV went on I don't believe Playstation store downloads are taken into account.

Plus the PC version would help sales too whenever that comes out. Which should since it's advertised as a console exclusive.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
I was never expecting this game to garner massive sales. But as long as SNK can find ways to build on this, they can establish the brand in a new market. If Atlus helps them, this game will find a comfortable niche. And if it's a part the tournament scene for years to come, that will help.

SNK did itself no favors with the marketing of this series during its heyday. The advertising campaign for KOF XIV has been marvelous but rememger:

-PS4 exclusive
-Fighting game

This will not be an overnight turnaround.

it needs to come to PC

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
King of Fried "Chicken"

CsCK0aZWcAIZsWu.jpg

Edit:

LOL

CsEniUaVIAE-N65.jpg

Last edited:

100proof

10 Year Member
I can respect the opinion, but it's the elitist attitude a lot of the Tourney crowds have that put me off. It would be like saying MLB is the only real organized baseball. The minors doesn't exist. High School or College don't exist. It's all about MLB or nothing.

The tourney people do NOT have an elitist attitude. You're confusing internet tough guys who post on forums with the community. Seriously... go to a major tournament. Talk to people. Play in casuals. For the most part, the players (even the really good ones, tournament organizers and commentators) are incredibly welcoming and totally down to earth. It's soooo much less elitist than shit like DotA or Counterstrike or whatever where the tournaments aren't open (no one can just walk in from the street and participate) and the players are completely separated from the spectators. Hell, one of the big arguments recently was FGC people laughing at Smash Bros. players for wanting to set up a separate lounge and bathroom area for "top players" so that they couldn't be bothered by the plebs between matches.

It's true, if you just sit at home and casually play once in a while you're not a part of the community, but people who consistently push to get people to play and understand fighting games and get into the culture of it are also in the FGC as well. If not for them, then a game will not exist for long.

Agreed. However, that's not really what Max does anymore. The vast majority of his videos are him doing reaction videos to trailers and him talking over replays of his online play (unless something's changed in the last couple of years... I put his channel on ignore a while ago). That's not so much helping people understand or get in to the culture of the fighting game community as much as it's understanding how the Youtube market works to pull in the maximum amount of views/ad revenue. Encouraging new players and at least immersing them in the vernacular is a good thing. My original point is that he's not one of "the biggest members of the FGC" and is more of a tertiary figure that everyone knows and who no one takes particularly seriously. More power to him though. Get that money.

Not to mention its own brand of criminality, money-grubbing, collusion, ghetto-macho-posturing, and hypocrisy. American-style 'hood thuggery at its most pathetic levels.

Yeah, the FGC has its share of dipshits and thugs. Not excusing the bad behavior. However, the origins of the competitive fighting game scene is arcades... much cheaper to get good at Street Fighter or KoF than it was to buy a PC that can run competitive FPSs. Because of that, you're gonna bring in some low-income folks who don't always behave. That said, I'll take the passion and the sense of family that comes from the FGC's diverse and colorful cast over the bland, sterile environments of suburban white and asian autistic kids playing Dota or Smash Bros. Hanging out in those circles as a teenager/in college made me a much more interesting and well-rounded person so I get a little defensive when people talk shit or wanna include every 12-year-old screaming obscenities on Xbox Live as part of the FGC.

If that's the case then the whole of Shoryuken.com isn't part of the FGC. You have your pros, your posers, your casuals and your newbs...... that's how it is in the world of the FGC. Max gets people interested, he is weird as hell, but he gets people to notice other games which 10 years ago none of these hipsters would of ever looked at.

I don't like him, but I know what he has done for that community compared to half of the retards that frequent or talk shit at SRK

I would agree but I don't consider random dipshits on SRK part of the community either so you're kinda making my point for me. Most of those fuckers are just keyboard warriors who talk a lot of shit but never show up to tournaments and don't provide anything of value. SRK is a pretty good information hub and there's still good people in the forums doing tech support and putting out useful educational content but there's a lot of kids and internet tough guys too.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
The tourney people do NOT have an elitist attitude. You're confusing internet tough guys who post on forums with the community. Seriously... go to a major tournament. Talk to people. Play in casuals. For the most part, the players (even the really good ones, tournament organizers and commentators) are incredibly welcoming and totally down to earth. It's soooo much less elitist than shit like DotA or Counterstrike or whatever where the tournaments aren't open (no one can just walk in from the street and participate) and the players are completely separated from the spectators. Hell, one of the big arguments recently was FGC people laughing at Smash Bros. players for wanting to set up a separate lounge and bathroom area for "top players" so that they couldn't be bothered by the plebs between matches.

Actually been to one of recent. They had a SFV arcade machine there and the tourney crowd rolled up and demanded money matches on the spot. Throwing off the casual crowd, and making playing on an arcade machine pay to play (by at least $5 a set) This is not the only game effected. By Sunday the organizers had to roll up signs everywhere (especially the Smash rooms) that there are no money matches. By the end of it I had to bring my setup of a bootleg OG xbox and a dual arcade stick to get any games with the casual crowd. Most gave up.

Before you say this isn't how it usually works even on many streams I listen to the tourney crowd talk about how important money matches are to the scene and listened last night to some dude going on and on about this guy or that guy he money matched for.

Does it always happen? No, I've been to a tourney where I didn't even get to play in the tourney because it was getting too late for me, but I had a blast playing people in games that weren't even in the tourney because they had an arcade in the back w/ Garou and 3rd Strike. However it's getting more prevalent and it's a damn shame.

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
Money matches can be a ego thing. They create healthy competition and can be fun for rivals. There are always some hype money matches going down at majors. And in turn some of the local players tend to mimic that cause it makes it more hype to them. Yeah it can be much to a casual player. But the venue should keep that under control and usually ppl have money matches on the side on a spare setup somebody brought. Atleast thats how it usually goes.
I'm a casual player these days, I'll go to events just to rep but I'm not losing sleep over thinking about frame data or anything.

Growing up every one of us wished we could get paid to play our fighting games. Now it's a reality and only a few are doing so and it leaves us with a ton of ppl acting like they will be the next big thing.

Last edited: