KOF14 announced for 2016 on PS4

city41

Gal Ageise's Demon
10 Year Member
gameplay aside I really can't agree with many of you with regards to the latest 2 KOFs that came out. the art direction is horrible.
tasteless.
KOF 96 and 2000 may have been the pinnacle in my opinion, art-wise. I know I'm probably being slightly contraversial but if Playmore introduced anything into the Neo legacy it's mostly been pure mediocrity.
these high rez offerings where rubbish (in the graphics department)

I totally agree. I thought KOF 12 and 13 although technically impressive, the style was just really bad. SNKP just doesn't "get it" the way SNK used to.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
I totally agree. I thought KOF 12 and 13 although technically impressive, the style was just really bad. SNKP just doesn't "get it" the way SNK used to.

They went with something different, which KOF was long overdue for, and personally I really liked the art style overall. Some things bugged me like the female characters going more "moe" than they used to be and some of the characters like Ralf being cartoonishly buffed, but it wasn't enough to deprive me from enjoying the game and appreciating the art style as a whole.

Also, the sprites and in-game artwork were based off of Nona's art style, who had been with both SNK and SNKP, so its not just an SNKP invention.

KOF 2003 and XI were far from mediocre, and I would argue that KOF MI 2 and Reg A were very solid games.

I'll even go as far to say that Metal Slug Defense is unquestionably one of the better titles they've released.

klee123

Zero's Secretary
Realistically, if they're going 3D, they should have really considered Guilty Gear XRD's style as an inspiration.

Personally my fav art is actually the style depicted in the KOF 2K portraits. That in 3D cell shaded graphics would have been awesome.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
gameplay aside I really can't agree with many of you with regards to the latest 2 KOFs that came out. the art direction is horrible.
tasteless.
KOF 96 and 2000 may have been the pinnacle in my opinion, art-wise. I know I'm probably being slightly contraversial but if Playmore introduced anything into the Neo legacy it's mostly been pure mediocrity.
these high rez offerings where rubbish (in the graphics department)

First when you are talking about art are you referring to character portraits or everything? Because the backgrounds in 2000 were mostly weak the sprites were ok, but pretty much the same they have been using since '96. Just cleaned up a little.

Second I know the trendy thing to do is bash Playmore because they aren't SNK, but Playmore released a few titles that were very good. KOF XI, KOF XIII, KOF 02UM, & KOF 98UM were all very well received. Some of their other titles were still good but SNK since the beginning experiments with their stuff. That's what made them interesting rather then All Street Fighter II's playing the same or All Alpha's basically the same. They loved to throw the monkey wrench in to mix things up.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
First when you are talking about art are you referring to character portraits or everything? Because the backgrounds in 2000 were mostly weak the sprites were ok, but pretty much the same they have been using since '96. Just cleaned up a little.

Second I know the trendy thing to do is bash Playmore because they aren't SNK, but Playmore released a few titles that were very good. KOF XI, KOF XIII, KOF 02UM, & KOF 98UM were all very well received. Some of their other titles were still good but SNK since the beginning experiments with their stuff. That's what made them interesting rather then All Street Fighter II's playing the same or All Alpha's basically the same. They loved to throw the monkey wrench in to mix things up.

honestly the 2000 backrounds where meh, and the sprites where nothing new, but the artistic concept behind the game was solid, unconvoluted, streamlined, charming. it was very sophisticated for what it.was. understated and to the point. later entries into the series where a lot more rustic. it doesn't mean I haven't enjoyed them and the time when fighting games where a focal point in the games industry had long since passed. so I get it to.an.extent, definitely, but I am not about to try to delude myself into thinking and feeling something I don't. I got my first neo home.system back in 94, not.trying to be trendy with my comments. even so, it's just an opinion. and one of.little.relevance in this thread.

Last edited:

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
Weird thing about it is that their Pachislot 3d graphics look better than this shit.

ysselcneogeo

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
I rather them of farmed the game out to Arc Systems and went with that visual style. This looks like shit. I rather it of just stayed dead. Why couldnt they of kept the main series purely 2d. Even cell shading would of been better.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
honestly the 2000 backrounds where meh, and the sprites where nothing new, but the artistic concept behind the game was solid, unconvoluted, streamlined, charming. it was very sophisticated for what it.was. understated and to the point. later entries into the series where a lot more rustic. it doesn't mean I haven't enjoyed them and the time when fighting games where a focal point in the games industry had long since passed. so I get it to.an.extent, definitely, but I am not about to try to delude myself into thinking and feeling something I don't. I got my first neo home.system back in 94, not.trying to be trendy with my comments. even so, it's just an opinion. and one of.little.relevance in this thread.

No, you're right. Everything except the actual in match stuff is really good in KOF 2000 (possibly the best in the series). I'm a fan of it too. Personally I find it weird the art is so hit and miss with them. Especially since it used to be yearly. Maybe they wanted new blood every time not to look stale.

Considering hijacking this thread is way more interesting then listening to more bitching could we have a poll? It would save the time of reading why I hate KOF XIV. Here's an idea.

How do you wish Playmore will approach The King of Fighters XIV

Make the game look like Guilty Gear Xrd

Make the game look like Street Fighter V

Why not reuse the 3d wireframes they had from King of Fighters XIII

Just quit already

Stay the course. King of Fighters meets vocaloids is worth a Zorro snap baby!

Last edited:

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
No, you're right. Everything except the actual in match stuff is really good in KOF 2000 (possibly the best in the series). I'm a fan of it too. Personally I find it weird the art is so hit and miss with them. Especially since it used to be yearly. Maybe they wanted new blood every time not to look stale.

Considering hijacking this thread is way more interesting then listening to more bitching could we have a poll? It would save the time of reading why I hate KOF XIV. Here's an idea.

How do you wish Playmore will approach The King of Fighters XIV

Make the game look like Guilty Gear Xrd

Make the game look like Street Fighter V

Why not reuse the 3d wireframes they had from King of Fighters XIII

Just quit already

Stay the course. King of Fighters meets vocaloids is worth a Zorro snap baby!

If I could have my cake and eat it too, I'd vote for either going the GGXrd route (albiet in SNK's more detailed, realistic art style), or if going full 3D, go the Mortal Kombat X/Injustice route in terms of graphics (though, obviously again, in their own art style).

Elder

NEST Puppet
I just got back from vacation, went to Portugal for two weeks and it was amazing, and this is the first thing I saw upon my return. I really don't know what to say. I think I speak for a lot of people here when I say this isn't what I expected. It looks extremely dated from the brief trailer shown, and I really dislike the style they're going with. I'll have to see more before I really make up my mind, but my initial impressions aren't good. It's a shame too because I really liked what they did with XIII. I guess the good news is that a new KoF is coming.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
i think xi was the last true kof for most people. i played 12, it was ok. still got 13 sealed never played it.

BLEAGH

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
i think xi was the last true kof for most people. i played 12, it was ok. still got 13 sealed never played it.

You should really bust open that 13, such a wonderful game. XI always felt a little off to me. Probably because i played terry a lot and his sprites just look like awful fan made edits for mugen.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
KOF 13 was nice but King and Yuri looked so horrible that I wish they were taken out whenever I see them.

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior

Sorry, but no.

I hate, absolutely HATE the style they went with SF4 and now SF5. It's horrible and it doesn't capture the spirit of what SF used to be. We got the pinnacle at SF3 and then they went down the drain with SF4.

KOFXIII was miles ahead of SF4 and as a great fan of Capcom games I wondered why the fuck didn't they go for high res sprites instead of those ugly, gum-like hyper-pumped ridiculous 3D models.

My hopes were high for SFV to be like Guilty Gear but it was soon crushed.

Tekken is ok. The art style suits it. To each game its own.

Phexe

Quiz Detective
You have WAY MORE than 700 frames per character.

Just think about the neutral standing and neutral crouching animation. These are at least 60 frames each since the game runs at 60 frames per second, which means a best case scenario of just 120 frames ONLY for the neutral standing and neutral crouching animation.

700 seems good though for a normal mugen game, but here we're talking about KOF, not your random fan made mugen fighter ;)

KOF 13 runs at 60fps but theres only about 5-20 frames of animation for neutral, standing etc they don't animate @ 60fps.

Fakk2

Crossed Swords 2 Bootleg Artist.,
This. Tekken and SF are setting the bar graphics wise. ps2 graphics are unacceptable. Looks like shit, and I go out of my way to support SNK. This is just utter bullshit, at least that fucking teaser trailer. Looked like ass.

2d would be great, but that time has passed. Get with the big boys and make 3d graphics on a 2d plane at least. If they can't do that, then just go make fucking pachinko machines til the end of time. That seems like their Chinese buyers' plan anyfuckinways. Fuck SNKP. SNK has been dead for so long, we have just been hoping due to our nostalgia. There'll never be a MOTW 2, or LB 3...They're fuckin done son.

I wish Capcom would have bought their IPs. That way they could have used them, instead of just for some shitty Chinese company to bang out pachinko machines. Which have better CG than the fuckin teaser trailer for XIV. Fucking bullshit. Sellouts. Let em die. I don't know if pachinko is big in China, but its not really popular here in Taiwan. So I just don't get it, are they targeting the Japanese pachinko market? Pachinko is dying, such a mindless form of gambling. It's laughable that they think 20~30 year olds are going to be lured to stupid ass pachinko.

Fuck you SNKP. Just die.

Wanna be Marvel? What a joke. Just set a pile of money on fire you Chinese retards.

At least someone gets it. Thank you for letting people know the fucking truth. SNKP is fuckin' done! Unless they can bring us sequels that we care about like Last Blade 3, MOTW 2, or a new form of Samurai Shodown, and make them high quality with amazing art style the way the USED to do, then fuck it, they just cannot cut it anymore.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
KOF 13 was nice but King and Yuri looked so horrible that I wish they were taken out whenever I see them.

I feel the exact same way. For the life of me, I don't understand why they thought that was good look.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Sorry, but no.

I hate, absolutely HATE the style they went with SF4 and now SF5. It's horrible and it doesn't capture the spirit of what SF used to be. We got the pinnacle at SF3 and then they went down the drain with SF4.
lol

SF3's style didn't capture the spirit of what "SF used to be" before that. And the Alpha/Zero series' style didn't capture the spirit of what "SF used to be" before that. You've drawn an arbitrary, meaningless line. If you just don't like 3D that's fine, but don't make up an imaginary unsupportable argument to back up your personal taste. In any case, 3D is not going away. Capcom is never going to go back to 2D for Street Fighter. Get used to the idea.

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior
lol

SF3's style didn't capture the spirit of what "SF used to be" before that. And the Alpha/Zero series' style didn't capture the spirit of what "SF used to be" before that. You've drawn an arbitrary, meaningless line. If you just don't like 3D that's fine, but don't make up an imaginary unsupportable argument to back up your personal taste. In any case, 3D is not going away. Capcom is never going to go back to 2D for Street Fighter. Get used to the idea.

Dude, personal tastes has absolutely nothing to do with that, quite the opposite actually.

Go on Google Images and look for screenshots of Tekken 1 through 7 and you'll see that the art direction of the game has remained coherent throughout the series.
Look for Guilty Gear, again, from Guilty Gear X through -SIGN-, and you'll still see they've remained coherent with their designs.
Same applies to KoF from 94 through XIII (Maximum Impact is another story).

Now get Street Fighter, from SFII through third strike, even through all the Alphas: you'll see that characters were drawn in a certain way because that was the original concept. And then there's SFIV. Now, what the fuck happened. Why did they have to make a change so drastic. Why didn't they choose the KOFXIII path.

This is something that still today I can't cope with, and has nothing to do with personal tastes, it's just in front of everyone's eyes.

http://www.dinofarmgames.com/a-pixel-artist-renounces-pixel-art/

Take a moment to read this article and, if you don't care enough, then just skip to the part where he compares 3rd strike Chun-li with its SFIV counterpart.
Capcom just fucked it up, even though SFIV is still a great game, but its art is completely off.

BLEAGH

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
I don't really see how all the street fighters are so similar. They all have completely different styles of art direction.

front_facing_sprite_compare--article_image.jpg
GDi6MGa.jpg

Last edited:

jericho_mpm

New Challenger
Neowave is cool just a more fixed version of 2002 - XI i think is decent also Eiji came back :)

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
Neowave is cool just a more fixed version of 2002 - XI i think is decent also Eiji came back :)

I didn't know kof 02 was even broken.Would say it's one of the better running titles since kof 00.And I think Neowave plays more like 01?.