KOF14 announced for 2016 on PS4

grimmythereaper

Quiz Detective
^ Interesting. By pacing what do you mean exactly? Combos? Speed of characters? The couple of frames they took out that makes it feel not as crisp?

the characters dont feel as fast to me maybe its the 3d design and lack of sprites, I also think the zoom-ins slow down the fight as well. But i like them in SF4 and i do again in kof14.

grimmythereaper

Quiz Detective
From what I have played the major problem people have is going from 40fps to 60fps causes an optical illusion that it's slower. There's more going on in the screen so it gets processed in the brain as it's slower when it's not. Also there is a 1-2 frame input delay from the start (not confirmed, but personally I can feel it) that also makes it feel slower. KOF has never had it before so it's a lot to take in.

The video is not bullshitting, but it's hard to shake initial impressions.

this makes sense as to why i think it feels slower, that video looks to prove me wrong.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
the characters dont feel as fast to me maybe its the 3d design and lack of sprites, I also think the zoom-ins slow down the fight as well. But i like them in SF4 and i do again in kof14.

Yeah I can see the zoom ins doing that. Never gave much thought to it until now.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
k'_127, you're slacking. ;)

Ikari Warriors trailer. I love Ralf's "cool guys don't look at explosions" finisher.

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
k'_127, you're slacking. ;)

Ikari Warriors trailer. I love Ralf's "cool guys don't look at explosions" finisher.

Looks good, allthough I'm not a big fan of the big tits show they introduced for each character in every game over the years. It's perfectly ok to have a Mai, but for XV they'll dress King like that... - I liked Leonas 97 style.
As for the moves a bit too much camera action for my taste but all in all a nice presentation - hope this gets out on PC sooner than later

Fygee

20 Year Member
Man it does sound like they got mostly new voice actors.

Yup. Ralf is clearly different. Clark I'm on the fence about. Leona sounds the same to me.

I wonder why so much of the voice talent was changed.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
^ Not 100% sure, but I think it has to do with re-recording everything from scratch. I remember in an interview the sound guy said he couldn't use any of the old stuff.

This doesn't mean it's absolutely the case, but it makes sense to me at least. However how come XIII could and this game couldn't doesn't make sense to me.

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
^ Not 100% sure, but I think it has to do with re-recording everything from scratch. I remember in an interview the sound guy said he couldn't use any of the old stuff.

This doesn't mean it's absolutely the case, but it makes sense to me at least. However how come XIII could and this game couldn't doesn't make sense to me.

Maybe they didn't like the quality of the audio. Or the old voices when played along with new voices, sounded bad compared to the other.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
One of the cool aspects introduced in KOF12 was that some super moves had two different tone variations (example: notice Terry's power wave voice in this video). Very nice touch. This is still present in KOF14, but I think it gets triggered in certain situation as opposite of being random like in 12 / 13. Not sure about that.

Also, for those who use Nelson, I noticed he has an up LK variation of his chain combo that you can add in the middle. It's a dash overhead attack that can be followed by back LK juggle. There is also the down LK low hit, but that's probably commonly known.

Last edited:

Fygee

20 Year Member

That's all well and good, but why replace the voice actors, some of which that had been around for over 20 years?

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Well the thought is none of them are realy active, SNK pays too little, SNK might have switched to non union (dunno if Japan has these problems like the US voice acting industry), or they might want to go young all at once.

The older games might have used old samples this whole time. That's why all the same xioce actors never changed. Again this is all guessing since we have no real idea what is going on.

Hellfromabove

Dodgeball Yakuza
Was there ever a reason on why this game is called KOF XIV? I mean, in the past we've had these games actually come out via the year it was released, but it seems that has been thrown out the window with this release. KOF XIV yet it's being released in 2016. If we count up all the actual KOF games that were released ('94 - 03', 11, 12, 13) then yeah, this would be the 14th installment. Just not sure why they got rid of the normal numbering system...

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Because they used to release them annually. Until they couldn't.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
No, KOF XI was the only "real" entry on AW. Neowave was like an early beta that somehow got released.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Neowave is mostly KOF2002 on Atomiswave with a few additional characters and new backgrounds.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
No, KOF XI was the only "real" entry on AW. Neowave was like an early beta that somehow got released.

I never was able to get into that game. It didnt get a US PS2 release and by the time my friend got in on XBOX its time had loooooong since passed.

Had fun with the short time I spent with it but I can see why it would be a black sheep. I also remember being annoyed that it didnt have year in its title for some reason

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Didn't have time to check in on the latest until today. I feel the same as Berry about the Ikari trailer.
I'm not a big fan of the big tits show they introduced for each character in every game over the years. It's perfectly ok to have a Mai, but for XV they'll dress King like that... - I liked Leonas 97 style.
I think Leona looked pretty much the same from 96 onward (which was good!) until they "sexed her up" for XII...
Her hair turning orochi red on specials and hearing the Ikari theme again is nice, even though they might have overdone it with the guitar solos ;)

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Apparently the game has been leaked everywhere. Time to hit the local shops for hunting :D

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2016/...lex-jebailey-offers-early-online-impressions/

https://twitter.com/KCOpedro/status/763892807593451522

11_kofjebailey01.jpg

11_kofjebailey02.jpg

CpnkaqMVIAEWdYY.jpg

Last edited: