KOF14 announced for 2016 on PS4

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Got by on rep alone. SF V's campaign was nothing impressive and Capcom's inability to spin their recent failures is evidence of their ineptitude.

Sorry dude, but the only one wrong here is you. Suck it up.

KoF marketing is good. In no universe does it compare to SFV. I mean you may think SFV is shit and KOF 14 is better as a product but that doesnt speak to the marketing.

I mean the only reason you are even aware of KOF 14 is because you are already a fan of KOF and you like fighting games. Pretty sure nobody else even knows what the fuck a KOF is....so no they arent getting by on rep alone. They have no mainstream penetration.

Sure you can argue that Capcom is fumbling the ball a bit right now but that doesnt even really matter when comparing the pre release marketing. I would even say post release is still kicking ass but thats my opinion.

Sounds like you are either blinded by fanboyism or are just so jaded by SFV that its clouding your judgement. There is no way you can honestly look at both marketing campaigns and say "yeah this random ass tiny Japanese game over here that hardly anybody knows about has way better marketing then this multinational fully corporate sponsored cross promoted juggernaut."

I dont even feeling like i need to prove you wrong point by point. I think deep down you already know.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Yeah, that's it exactly.

Shut the fuck up and learn how to read.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
You somehow see words through your own asscheeks but you don't know what they mean when put together in a sentence. That much is clear.

But I forgive you. I already have you backpeddaling. If I was interested in actually having this conversation with you I'd have you agreeing with me.

LOL evo

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
How can even talk right now with your foot in your mouth.

And who are you even talking to right now anyway? My post never even mentioned Evo...but since you keep obsessing over it....yes Evo. You can laugh but SNK wishes they could have a fraction of the promotion and exposure that SFV got at Evo....and thats only the beginning

Also i was only ever comparing pre release marketing. I never back peddled. Youre the one arguing on your heels. You never even addressed anything i said.

also lol KoF. like comparing Marvel to Dark Horse

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Idiot, no one is arguing that Capcom isn't a bigger company or that they don't enjoy the perks that naturally come with that.

The argument is that SNK is marketing their 2016 fighter better than Capcom did.

And this is an indisputable fact.

One company is hyping their game way better than the other one.

Here's a hint.

It's SNK.

SNK is marketing their game batter.

And it's NOT because some of us have 'rose colored glasses on.' Read these fucking forums and you'll see I've classically taken Capcom's side in this matter in the past.

But this time, SNK's marketing and advertising is just better.

The fact that you can't see this means...something stupid.

Last edited:

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Idiot, no one is arguing that Capcom isn't a bigger company or that they don't enjoy the perks that naturally come with that.

The argument is that SNK is marketing their 2016 fighter better than Capcom did.

And this is an indisputable fact.

One company is hyping their game way better than the other one.

Here's a hint.

It's SNK.

SNK is marketing their game batter.

And it's NOT because some of us have 'rose colored glasses on.' Read these fucking forums and you'll see I've classically taken Capcom's side in this matter in the past.

But this time, SNK's marketing and advertising is just better.

No i'm not saying the marketing is better because Capcom is bigger and has more money. I'm saying the marketing is better because Capcom is not only marketing to fans but is also trying to break into ESports.

SNK is basically marketing to their preexisting user base and hopefully some general fighting game fans.

Like I legit dont understand the point your trying to make. What is SNK doing with their marketing that Capcom didnt do? I can name some things that Capcom did that SNK hasnt done.

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
What is SNK doing with their marketing that Capcom didnt do?

They are making the new KOF game look much better than the new SF game. Just my opinion.

SNK is making me want to check this game out, Capcom has given me zero reasons to check out SFV.... Don't even get me started on Capcom releasing broken games with half the planned roster....repeatedly.

Last edited:

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
The point I'm trying to make was already said.

Any pull they have, any clout they have for SF V, was already built in from previous iterations of Street Fighter, EVO and and the FGC. SF V did nothing -NOTHING- with its marketing that made the game any more appealing than it already would have.

SNK, on the other hand, has done a spectacular job upping the game and highlighting all of the game's many assets. SF V showed us some character reveals, a sappy nostalgia video and...what? Nothing else.

Go and look at the trailers and marketing materials for both games. Take the time out of your schedule and fucking do it.

If you still don't see that SNK has mopped the floor with Capcom with the marketing of the two games, you're beyond help.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Figured there hasn't been enough drama around here lately.

In all fairness, I apologize for being so hostile with Wachenroder. He's a good guy.

He's just wrong about this.

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
Look in PSN under free stuff, although I was having problems downloading it from there. So I instead went to PSN via the web and added it to my account there. Then I turned on my PS4 and looked at my library and it was there under 'The King of Fighters XIV'. You also get a free theme too.

was able to locate and get it, thx man! I'm digging it.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
They are making the new KOF game look much better than the new SF game. Just my opinion.

SNK is making me want to check this game out, Capcom has given me zero reasons to check out SFV.... Don't even get me started on Capcom releasing broken games with half the planned roster....repeatedly.

Honestly as much as im looking forward to this new KOF, its still essentially just a new KOF. I mean im always gonna be there day one for KOF but there is nothing blowing me away outside of just how many characters there are out the gate...which is its biggest selling point.

Capcom did a way better job of reinventing many of its core characters this time around then SNK (which is weird because SNK is the king of reinventing old characters for better or worse) plus the gameplay in SFV waaaaay different from SFIV. It feels way more fresh then what SNK appears to be offering when comparing its most recent entry.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
just played the demo, it was cool if a little weird, the graphics being in 3D and all. the festival vibe is very KOF 97 in my opinion, and the brightness of it all brought back memories of Tekken 4

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
The demo is pretty fun and the game play feels familiar. So far so good. The roster is looking good except the lack of Takuma. As a side note Mai is good and bouncy and even has some nip action going on.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
It's still early to form an opinion, but... The moves feel less safe then in previous versions. It could be because of the added frames of input delay (1-2 probably calm down), or they are going in the direction of Street Fighter and making more moves unsafe. It really hurts characters like Mai who rely on footsies and spacing to do their work.

Shun' Ei feels like a cross between Nameless(K'9999) and Rock Howard. He probably feels the best to screw with in the demo right now.

King of Dinosaurs in way slower then Tizoc and more cumbersome in his moves. They made an obvious Rekka type move into a throws all three hits out there and it's up to you to break it with lights. Personally I would have rather have had the Rekka motion for it. His command throws are way slower. They feel like Zangief's SPDs coming out. Still though he is a fun character, but I have a feeling he won't be anybody's favorite wrestler when everything is said and done.

Nelson I didn't like. Everything except a dash in and a command throw was a hold a direction and throw a punch. I like a bit of that, but not 90% of his moveset.

Kyo and Iori mainly played like the KOF XIII counterparts. I think Kyo has a bit more Rekkas to work with (saw computer do it on me) and Iori got an interesting super that works like Ash's trap fireballs.

Mai works the same, but as stated earlier she feels way more unsafe. It also feels like her CD attack is not as good and whiffs a lot more then you would expect. Her Real Bout super is probably the handiest at getting aggressive players off of you. I like the down to up + P evasion move has a forward and backward property. I don't think she had it before, but it does look possibly promising.

Again only played a bit so this is initial opinions.

StaticX

The b00bs., Z'OMG The B00BS!,
15 Year Member
It's still early to form an opinion, but... The moves feel less safe then in previous versions. It could be because of the added frames of input delay (1-2 probably calm down), or they are going in the direction of Street Fighter and making more moves unsafe. It really hurts characters like Mai who rely on footsies and spacing to do their work.

Shun' Ei feels like a cross between Nameless(K'9999) and Rock Howard. He probably feels the best to screw with in the demo right now.

King of Dinosaurs in way slower then Tizoc and more cumbersome in his moves. They made an obvious Rekka type move into a throws all three hits out there and it's up to you to break it with lights. Personally I would have rather have had the Rekka motion for it. His command throws are way slower. They feel like Zangief's SPDs coming out. Still though he is a fun character, but I have a feeling he won't be anybody's favorite wrestler when everything is said and done.

Nelson I didn't like. Everything except a dash in and a command throw was a hold a direction and throw a punch. I like a bit of that, but not 90% of his moveset.

Kyo and Iori mainly played like the KOF XIII counterparts. I think Kyo has a bit more Rekkas to work with (saw computer do it on me) and Iori got an interesting super that works like Ash's trap fireballs.

Mai works the same, but as stated earlier she feels way more unsafe. It also feels like her CD attack is not as good and whiffs a lot more then you would expect. Her Real Bout super is probably the handiest at getting aggressive players off of you. I like the down to up + P evasion move has a forward and backward property. I don't think she had it before, but it does look possibly promising.

Everything you typed out is the way I felt.... the only surprise is that Sylvie surprised the hell out of me. The little ho has a nasty command grab super. Cute but annoying all in one.

Hope for Shingo dlc

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Everything you typed out is the way I felt.... the only surprise is that Sylvie surprised the hell out of me. The little ho has a nasty command grab super. Cute but annoying all in one.

Hope for Shingo dlc

I get the strange feeling im going to end playing her. I dont know what it is, I usually hate her type of character but something about her is drawing me in.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
lol, i know dude. just want to know if every one else is liking it. saw it this morning and was hyped. i think they put the story trailer together really well.

Last edited:

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
i gotta get over to my bros house soon to check out kof. I still havent gotten a ps4 because there arent enough games to i want to play on it. I dont spend much time playing games except for an occasional fighter here and there. But once kof and tekken have realeased ill have more reason to buy one. SFV just isnt enough especially with it not being complete.
Im jealous of you guys.

StaticX

The b00bs., Z'OMG The B00BS!,
15 Year Member
I get the strange feeling im going to end playing her. I dont know what it is, I usually hate her type of character but something about her is drawing me in.

Agree with you again bro. I like her and before I even touched the gane I knew she was gonna be a character I hated.... mannerisms, design and voice...... pretty wrong so far.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member

Agreed about Kyo and Iori. Not enough changes to get me interested.

------

I'm also clueless about KoD. He is slow, but has no advantage to make up for it. The damage seems about the same as the others. He got Clark's auto-guard grab but with how slow he is, you will find a hard time closing in to the opponent. His other auto guard attacks don't always work, so I find it risky to rely on them. What I found useful so far:

Mid range play:

- far LK -> QCF LP for poking
- sweep into QCF HP is also nice for that range (and it connects)
- HP + HK -> QCF HP
- or simply using QCF HP
- You can catch the opponent off guard by swapping QCF P with QCF K, or simply cancelling it's different variations at any point using LP+LK and then go for QCF LK
- standing LP for stopping opponent jumps

Close range options:

- forward LP (overhead) into Max Mode combo
- crouch LK into LP LP LP LP (rush combo)
- and of course the HCB HP grab

------

My initial impression about Nelson was the same, but after spending time with his different options, he turned out a beast with mix ups.

A direct QCF K dash can also be cancelled into either supers

-------

Regarding Mai, I actually feel she is stronger since she can link her LK -> HK target combo with other moves now. And of course the new Real Bout super is a good defence now. Uh and check her EX fan throw :D

-------

PS: all characters can link their crouch LK with rush combos

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I'm fine with the classic characters playing like they used to. I think that there are enough new characters on this roster that the new gameplay is going to come from them, anyway

SNK is trying to reintroduce this series, and a lot of their brands by association, to the market with this series. I think it's good that they're keeping the gameplay exactly the same as what made it special so many years ago. This way, new players can discover how amazing they played for themselves for the first time.

I don't main Kyo or Iori, but I'm find with them keeping it as it was, personally.