KOF14 announced for 2016 on PS4

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
god damn, was hoping to see the latest trailer. Now my morning is shit as i sit here in front of my computer surfing the internetz instead of doing work

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Yuri definitely has a new voice actor for this one.

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
Nice, the AOF team looking solid, but that's to be expected along with the fatal fury team.

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
The AOF team theme there was interesting. Practically all of the later games have been variations of the KOF '95 theme, but that one sounded like KOF '95 mashed up with '96.

As for the game itself, I'm not too worried about the 2.5D format; keeping the main action in the 2D plane will prevent the game from turning into MI. The things that worry me are loading times, amount of detail in the backgrounds, whether there's enough content outside of vs mode to give the game depth, whether network mode will actually work for once, etc. The devil is in the details.

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
As for the game itself, I'm not too worried about the 2.5D format; keeping the main action in the 2D plane will prevent the game from turning into MI. The things that worry me are loading times, amount of detail in the backgrounds, whether there's enough content outside of vs mode to give the game depth, whether network mode will actually work for once, etc. The devil is in the details.

Completely agree with you man. I took the dive into 2.5D with sf4. It took me a long time to get adjusted to that, so maybe that's why this isn't as bad for me as it is for the 2d purists. Plus I'm a tekken player.

Last edited:

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
looks like orlando bloom made it in to this years king of fighters :keke:. but the game play is looking good.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Very nice background.. I have mixed feeling about how Yuri looks though.

I could swear I heard that sound track before, but I can't figure out where.

By the way, the teams order has been changed at the official site. The next team will now be the official invitation team (sylvie) followed by South America team. I guess they are trying to balance the gap between background reveals or something. remaining stages are for villains team, psycho soldier team (already seen a previous screenshot), women team, and final boss (rumored to be a destroyed version of the stadium).

New Team Order.jpg

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Meh, I'm just butthurt that it isn't high-res 2D.

Considering the insane amount of work and time it took to make the sprites for KOF XII and XIII, I'm not the least bit surprised they're going the 3D route.

High-res 2D sprites just isn't going to happen. Time to embrace the future.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Better than multiple edits hours apart. Anyway, carry on with your King of Polygon 14 love fest.

Yeah, a drag that it's in 3d (and not rotoscoped hand drawn 2d that almost ran them out of business).

But on the bright side, at least it's not a furfag yiffing sim amirite?

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Yeah, a drag that it's in 3d (and not rotoscoped hand drawn 2d that almost ran them out of business).

But on the bright side, at least it's not a furfag yiffing sim amirite?

Hand drawn 2d sprites is what *has* kept them in business, genius. What forum are you a member of? What 3D SNK game has a hardcore following? Buriki One? Fatal Fury Wild Ambition? KOF Maximum Impact? Samurai Spirits Sen? Metal Slug 3D?
Please tell me what KEPT them in business? If it wasn't 2D games it must have been the Pachislot division (rolls eyes), because it sure as hell was NEVER their 3D endeavers.

I can't believe you've been a member here since 2004, haven't you learned a single thing? Here's how SNK Works:
1. 2D Success
2. 2D Success
3. 2D Success
4. 2D Success
5. 3D Failure
6. Repeats steps 1 through 5.

Despite how wrong you are about SNK's success (past & present) The most hilarious thing about your entire post is that you know the word Yiffing.

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I can't believe you've been a member here since 2004, haven't you learned a single thing? Here's how SNK Works:
1. 2D Success
2. 2D Success
3. 2D Success
4. 2D Success
5. 3D Failure
6. Repeats steps 1 through 5.
How you define success is not the way a business defines success. Which is with money.

Like you, I and most people here would like more 2D SNK goodness. But most of us here still have enough of a foot in reality to recognize that what we want from SNK and what the general game consuming population wants from video games began diverging about 20 years ago... to the point now that there is close to zero resemblance between the two. SNK went from being at the top of the industry in the early 1990s, to limping along, hovering on the edge of complete dissolution since before either of us even joined this site.

KOF XII/XIII were embraced by most of us here as being more of a return to the direction we'd like to see the company going in. But to call those games (or XI, 2003, Neowave or whatever) a success by any measurable standard is delusional.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Um...fuck off?
I remember the throngs of idiots slagging kof13 for being 2d, calling it a flash game etc.

I despised it then and I'm despising it now with the smarm kof14 is getting from certain twats.

I love 2d too, but turning tail on a company that is trying HARD to clean up its act is just... cunty.

If this was a shit game with breakdancing alien cowboys from Germany I wouldn't give two fucks about it, if it was another pachislot I'd tell them to gargle some cocks and drop dead, and if it was another sweet ass 2d kof I'd simply die of old age waiting for it to come out.

Embrace the change and adapt, or dwell in the past and get left behind....

In any case your criticism is noted,
Thank you for your opinion,
And have a nice day.

Last edited:

KRONOS

Hardened Shock Trooper
Considering the insane amount of work and time it took to make the sprites for KOF XII and XIII, I'm not the least bit surprised they're going the 3D route. High-res 2D sprites just isn't going to happen. Time to embrace the future.

For KOF XIII, SNKP didn't need to create 3D models then trace them. MOTW & SF III didn't do that bullshit and they look smooth as fuck. That unnecessary OCD step added time & money which hurt the game and the monies. At the time I thought it was an extra dumb, Derek Zoolander idea.

KRONOS

Hardened Shock Trooper
Robert's pussy tickler sucks. His goatee should look like De Niro's in the movie Heat, like a badass. All the men have feminine features; small noses, pouty lips, etc. They just need a bit more chiseled features. They look like bitchy Amano Yoshitaka designs.

Last edited:

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
latest

XII/XIII were things of true beauty. XIII Climax will forever hold the crown in my eyes until (I hope) that they go true 2D again. Besides, I already own an X2 and enjoy it immensely.
I bought XII as an impulse buy long after I had taken a hiatus from these forums and I was blown away the first time I played it. It was the first time that I felt a reason to love KOF (and SNK) again since the Neo Died. I still play my neo, and as hard of a bitter pill as it was for me to swallow, Metal Slugs aside as 3 was just too epic, Playmore made some seriously wonderful games.

Will KOF XIIII be fun? Probably, I hope the controls are good. I'll probably buy it eventually, but I won't be eating crow as this game looks aesthetically Fugly to me and that's not gonna' change.

Anyway, slight derail, are there *any* hi res 2d fighters in the works from any dev?

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
CkCg3DjUoAAaLYw.jpg

CkFLXFIUUAAAQ-y.jpg

Dwp1xco.gif

On a side note, Burn Knuckle is semi-safe now, plus Buster Wolf reaches further and does way more damage.

ezgif-3933743704.gif

Cj3x7MIUoAQs6kS.jpg

Looks like Billy players will have a hard time fighting Geese

CjL4pEmWgAEFt7w.jpg

CiVVdo2UgAQPC6Z.jpg

Subtle message in one of the screenshots

CiaOqKaWgAACKka.jpg