KOF14 announced for 2016 on PS4

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Funny thing is, the game is basically what any main KOF has always been, plus the 2.5 gfx and the dorky cut-scenes for supers. So one may say this is good. On the other hand, this also shows how utterly futile the 3G GFX "switch" is, if not just to catch-up with the general mood/feel/aesthetics of the current "gaming generation". A meaningless token that I honestly find just very sad, that is.

Last edited:

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Funny thing is, the game is basically what any main KOF has always been, plus the 2.5 gfx and the dorky cut-scenes for supers. So one may say this is good. On the other hand, this also shows how utterly futile the 3G GFC "switch" is, if not just to catch-up with the general mood/feel/aesthetics of the current "gaming generation". A meaningless token that I honestly find just very sad, that is.

I half see it the same way as you, 2D is directly related to single plane. 3D breaks the mechanic and it transforms this and other vs fighting games into something a bit... redundant.
The art is gone, the aesthetic no longer correlates to the tradition of art and animation. It breaks with something that was until recently literally a thousand years in the making. To reiterate my distaste for things such as alternate costumes, especially in games such as SFV (which has nothing of its Japanesecentric past), back when the characters where sprites, such a thing was rare, but when done it was a thing of care and attention because it was hand drawn and the character and what he bore where one. Now it's just a frenzy of meaningless apparel. The characters tend to be lifeless mannequins. No artist made them. Just some programmer

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
The art is gone, the aesthetic no longer correlates to the tradition of art and animation.

20 years ago a character was truly an individual, totally unique from one another. Somehow they managed that with no FMVs, no spoken dialogue, no cinemas or anything else.

At some point developers decided backgrounds no longer needed to be unique or have any personality or relation to the characters so we ended up fighting in front of giant wooden shoes no matter who we were (or who we were fighting against). Next went the background music which became just as spineless, bland, and context interchangeable as the backgrounds. Finally we get rid of what visually identifies the character so that everyone can wear their brown fedora, fluorescent pink skin, and leather S&M vest or whatever garish themed DLC is spat out next.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
This issue is not new, nor does it apply to all new releases. Samurai Shodown has been stale since IV, and almost all Fatal Fury / AoF characters lost their touch in KOF. Even in their respective games at that point (Real Bout and AOF3), they didn't have the same impact they had in their previous games (Fatal Fury 3 brimmed with personality though). Both KOF13 and Xrd are good and recent examples where they have done their characters justice and retained their aesthetics.

I can see how this is a concern for KOF14 though, and possibly for all future SNK games, but for that, I would say give them a chance. They have shown gradual improvement in their releases until they eventually came up with KOF13. I still have trust that they will eventually put things back into prospective.

I know Retro Gamer isn't popular around here but the latest issue has an article on the Fatal Fury games with Yasuyuki Oda. He says if KOF XIV does well they might do a new FF.

Oh and he says most of MOTW 2 is lost, just some pdf files left.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
I know Retro Gamer isn't popular around here but the latest issue has an article on the Fatal Fury games with Yasuyuki Oda. He says if KOF XIV does well they might do a new FF.

Oh and he says most of MOTW 2 is lost, just some pdf files left.

I'm pretty sure retro gamer has a good following here but the problem is that they went to the absolute worst person they could find to use as a consultant on their neo geo cover story a few months back.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
I half see it the same way as you, 2D is directly related to single plane. 3D breaks the mechanic and it transforms this and other vs fighting games into something a bit... redundant.
The art is gone, the aesthetic no longer correlates to the tradition of art and animation. It breaks with something that was until recently literally a thousand years in the making. To reiterate my distaste for things such as alternate costumes, especially in games such as SFV (which has nothing of its Japanesecentric past), back when the characters where sprites, such a thing was rare, but when done it was a thing of care and attention because it was hand drawn and the character and what he bore where one. Now it's just a frenzy of meaningless apparel. The characters tend to be lifeless mannequins. No artist made them. Just some programmer

You know I prefer 2d sprites over 2.5d for many reasons, but the back breaker for me is how the game plays. 2d fighters and 3d fighters have two distinct personalities. From the way the collision detection works to the different ways each type glitch, there's a feel to 2d fighters that no 2.5d game can replicate (even Guilty Gear Xrd).

Don't get me wrong I have no problem with playing 2.5d games, but I do think it's a waste that new 2d fighters are all but extinct now.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
when the characters where sprites [...] it was a thing of care and attention because it was hand drawn and the character and what he bore where one.

That's exactly why we won't see it anymore: care, attention & hand drawings are luxury, far too expensive to appear within a contemporary businessplan, not to mention that the people who have done it in the past are now near extinction at best, six feet under at worst. And no one to designate as their heir.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
This issue is not new, nor does it apply to all new releases. Samurai Shodown has been stale since IV, and almost all Fatal Fury / AoF characters lost their touch in KOF. Even in their respective games at that point (Real Bout and AOF3), they didn't have the same impact they had in their previous games (Fatal Fury 3 brimmed with personality though). Both KOF13 and Xrd are good and recent examples where they have done their characters justice and retained their aesthetics.

I can see how this is a concern for KOF14 though, and possibly for all future SNK games, but for that, I would say give them a chance. They have shown gradual improvement in their releases until they eventually came up with KOF13. I still have trust that they will eventually put things back into prospective.
This post is full of grumpy bullshit.

AOF3 didn't "brim" with personality? RBFF? Get the fuck out of here. You are blind and stupid.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
This post is full of grumpy bullshit.

AOF3 didn't "brim" with personality? RBFF? Get the fuck out of here. You are blind and stupid.

Even in their respective games at that point (Real Bout and AOF3), they didn't have the same impact they had in their previous games

It means gameplay aside:

AoF2 > AoF3
FF2 / FF3 > Real Bout games

Don't get senile on us kid.

BLEAGH

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
The announcer in rbs has more personality than the rest of the neo library combined.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Characters list that will be in the upcoming event in Japan:

CjS9845UoAAcBgw.jpg

Somehow, we will still end up with kyoiorikula matches.

The announcer in rbs has more personality than the rest of the neo library combined.

RBS is the best out of the 3 IMO and one of the main reasons I got back into NeoGeo in 2002, although I would still say FF3 had more depth in its characters and settings.

Last edited:

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
gameplay is what matters to me the most, but i got into the FF series late so i dont have the same appreciation for everything else in those game due to me being a head to head player.
Dont forget RBS has the best new challenger is coming sfx.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
terry is looking sweet as always.

terrybff1.jpg
loving the inspiration taken from the first game.

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
It means gameplay aside:

AoF2 > AoF3
FF2 / FF3 > Real Bout games

Don't get senile on us kid.
And you are high. RBFF has every bit as much atmosphere and personality as 3. Aesthetically, it's close to being the high point of the entire Neo library.

And you really are blind if you can look at AOF3 and not see the artistry. I don't want to upset Tak, but artistically, 3 shits all over 2 from a great height.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Not sure if this has been pointed out before, but I noticed from the trailer:

- Super cancels don't take additional meter anymore
- EX moves don't take power meters, but you have to be in Max Mode

And you are high. RBFF has every bit as much atmosphere and personality as 3. Aesthetically, it's close to being the high point of the entire Neo library.

And you really are blind if you can look at AOF3 and not see the artistry. I don't want to upset Tak, but artistically, 3 shits all over 2 from a great height.

My take on the RB series:

- Less serious and more comical presentation of characters
- Little to no interaction between characters (compared to FF3)
- Doesn't feel as fresh or original as the other entries in the series - I would link that to the lack of an interesting story / character motives
- Backgrounds have less attachment to characters, and while many are great (especially in RBS), some are forgettable.

and before replying with more insults, notice that I didn't say these games were bad.

Regarding AoF3, I still hold it in high regard for the originality, realistic fight approach and fresh feel, but I also consider it a step down from AoF2's atmosphere and settings.

Last edited:

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
Terry is looking really good, im VERY disappointed with Joe, im a joe player but he looked pretty lame in the trailier, hope hes better in game.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
My take on the RB series:

- Less serious and more comical presentation of characters
- Little to no interaction between characters (compared to FF3)
- Doesn't feel as fresh or original as the other entries in the series - I would link that to the lack of an interesting story / character motives
- Backgrounds have less attachment to characters, and while many are great (especially in RBS), some are forgettable.

and before replying with more insults, notice that I didn't say these games were bad.

Regarding AoF3, I still hold it in high regard for the originality, realistic fight approach and fresh feel, but I also consider it a step down from AoF2's atmosphere and settings.

I agree on all the points presented except fresh since most don't play fighters for the story, but can easily understand why people prefer the Real Bout series:

It's more Marvel vs-esque (which was by far the most popular series during it's time at least in all the arcades I went to)
The animation is more fluid
The controls are easier to master
The addition of fake moves
Adding plane shifting counters

This is coming from someone who prefers Fatal Fury Special over the Real Bout Series when it comes down to it though it's all about preference.

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
RBFF had the best story bit of the entire series between Terry and Geese. It's the culmination of the entire thing.

And AOF3 has 10x more atmosphere than 2. And the settings with how they connect, make it feel like a real town. I want to be nice and let you off by saying it's open to opinion, but no way. And you were talking about story with the FF games? What SNK game has more fleshed out in-game character stories than AOF3?

You are way off-base here.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
RBFF had the best story bit of the entire series between Terry and Geese. It's the culmination of the entire thing.

And AOF3 has 10x more atmosphere than 2. And the settings with how they connect, make it feel like a real town. I want to be nice and let you off by saying it's open to opinion, but no way. And you were talking about story with the FF games? What SNK game has more fleshed out in-game character stories than AOF3?

You are way off-base here.

AoF3 does have depth in its character / story, never denied that, but is it as interesting as AoF2? I don't think so. The whole atmosphere felt laid back and anti-climactic in comparison. The stages and cast in AoF2 also felt bigger and way more memorable IMO. In some ways, yes, AoF3 is one of SNK's finest work, but in some other aspects, it felt lacking (for me at least).

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Is it just me or does that look like Falcoon artwork on the bottom right in front of the art book?

Still confused by Terry's strange new voice. Either the original VA aged 30 years since KOF XIII, or he's been replaced.