KOF14 announced for 2016 on PS4

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
yup, that was alright, there's hope!

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
In your personal Hell, you'd be forced to play Virtua Fighter for eternity.

982aebe2d39aaf5c291f64f526166066.jpg

Luong looks like she's going to be a lot of fun. Her design reminds of Dynasty Warriors, and her fighting style has a little Shermie influence.

Nelson, which is a hilarious name for someone that's from South America supposedly, looks like he could be fun, but I would have rather had any other number of boxing characters. Odd that they chose him over Shen Woo, which looks to be closest to his style.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Oh you don't know much about South America it seems...there's lots of foreign names like that down there. All kinds too, not just European but also many other regions.

Farid
Javier
Diomedes
Tiberius
Cipriano
Lorenzo
etc...

Nelson is actually pretty common down there. Lots of surnames used as first names like Johnson, Washington, it's a crazy place...

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
So looking back at this:

kofxiv-leak.jpg

I guess we can now take it as an accurate rendering of the characters.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
View attachment 34418

Luong looks like she's going to be a lot of fun. Her design reminds of Dynasty Warriors,
She looks like a return to the Hizoku Clan to me.

As for Nelson, I'm happy to see a new face, and one that doesn't look like... Sylvie.

I mean, Vanessa is without a doubt my favorite (and strongest) KOF character of all-time (and Vanessa/Ramon/Billy, my strongest team), but even with as much as I would have loved to have her back again, in a way, this is better. SNK is bringing us a new fighting character that actually looks like a fighter and not some androgynous moe anime whatever thing. I feel like I'm back in 1994! And name aside, a South American boxer is EXACTLY the kind of character they should be making for the series. Not another half-robot, psychic clone of a magical anime ninja.

And as much as I like Rick, mostly for his similarities to Vanessa, let's face that his character design was always the worst thing about him. Visually, I think this is a much better design, so I can't wait to see what Nelson's gameplay looks like.

This game has, for me, gone quickly from being as big a sad joke as the pachislot games to being super anticipated... Reeeeeeallly did not want to buy a PS4 yet, but this is going to make it hard to be paitient for.

Last edited:

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
I agree with much of what stk is saying....except for the part about heavy d.

Fuck you, sir.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
^Yeah, I agree 100%...Heavy D is the best boxer in SNK and the one true SNK World Heavy Weight Champion...from the Bronx!

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Heavy D is a clown. Like the entire Sports Team. I'm not saying there isn't room in the game for clowns, but I'm happier to see someone new. This boxer actually looks and moves like a boxer. That puts him above D by default.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Oh...yeah sure thing...poor old STK has gone senile on us...

Because I don't like the dumb sports team? The team that's so unpopular the characters have been back less than any other team in KOF history? And the only reason they came back even once was to fill out slots for '98?

I think you are senile if you think anyone in the world other than a few people here give a crap about the very worst, most pointless team from KOF '94.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
You're right about unpopularity...what do you expect, it's a sterotype team. Still, Heavy D plays great, so does Lucky. In fact in '94 Lucky is actually pretty damn fierce and his DM was spammable like T. Bogard. From a play stand point I prefer Heavy D to any of the other boxers in KOF or FF, or AOF for that matter. From a design aspect I find Heavy D to look better than the other Boxers, including Vanessa whom design I find rather dull looking, her game is sick though, I like her a lot in that aspect, still Heavy D is the better boxer of the 2. Let me know if you wanna go Mugen and we can put a rest to this, at less you're above leveling down with me on a Mugen trip, lol. JK though, no online on that...but I can dream of all the beatings I'd be giving you with Heavy D...

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
From a play stand point I prefer Heavy D to any of the other boxers in KOF or FF, or AOF for that matter.
How in the hell can you like D's gameplay better than Vanessa? D's gameplay is only marginally more robust than SNES FF1 Michael Max. I do not get your man crush for Heavy D. At first, I thought you were kidding, or maybe liked Heavy D in an ironic hipster way. Really mysterious to me.

Let me know if you wanna go Mugen and we can put a rest to this, at less you're above leveling down with me on a Mugen trip, lol. JK though, no online on that....
I wish there was some game with Heavy D and Vanessa both in it. I have to believe you would wake up after a few matches of '98 D vs. 2001 or 2002 Vanessa.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Just 'cause Vanessa is trickier doesn't make Heavy D weaker. Michael Max, oh god...you're just trolling right? Fill the spots on '98, lol, WTF are you on? it was deliberate to have them in there, if it was just spots to fill they could have just added the BOSS team from '96 which I do prefer but that's another subject. Heavy D has some decent combos, his game is a close one too, his poke game is basic but once you get in and "up" your moves with his shuffle you can get extra hits too. There's plenty of cool stuff to do with Heavy D and I find it funny that his game eventually turned into Kyo's game, the "main" KOF guy, lol. I'm referring to his mixup. Anyway, I have no problem with Vanessa, she's cool, but you're just way off, lol.

We can always play something online, I'm down for it and we can duck it out big time. Hope you get a PS4 so we can go to town on KOF14

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Not having Heidern in the game is the real travesty. My favourite character since 94 by far

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I know what you mean. He's the real cheese, I can just play with him alone and beat a whole team no problem. Time and again, we have witnesses...lol.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Not having Heidern in the game is the real travesty. My favourite character since 94 by far
Same. If ever I pick him as part of my team, the friend I'm facing off against usually lets out a sigh.

What can I say? It's 'Melon Twisting' time...

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
And as much as I like Rick, mostly for his similarities to Vanessa, let's face that his character design was always the worst thing about him.

So, I've been trying to put my finger, on why Rick S is my favorite boxer character.

I think much of it stems, from the fact that I prefer the RB2 engine/character chunkiness over the KoF style smaller sprites.

I just like the 'feel' of the space Rick occupies, and the way I can control space with him. He is the fighter I am most deft at, over all characters in all fighting games I've yet played.

I'm a better bassist, than guitarist. I think the comparison between two similar (but significantly different) objects, articulates my feelings on Rick & Vanessa. Love them both. Better at playing one, than the other.

Tl;dr-

I'mgettingaPS4forthisFUCKSYLVIEgoNelsonGO!

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
I'm starting to REALLY feel good about this just for all the chibi no bukkake lolimasters getting asshurt over this game.

Nearly every single complaint in SRK/Youtube comment sections about Athena looking "too ugly" or Luong taking a spot from Momoko is coming from a fucking weeb with a faggy japanese username(that he can't pronounce) and an avatar of some pink haired schoolgirl/fuck pillow template.

If you're ever pissing THOSE cretins off by god, you're doing something VERY right.

Looks like Nelson is based on Neymar Jr. and Luong actually looks kinda sexy:
25723758960_c115568f0d_z.jpg

Neatherrealm studios take note, that's how you make a womans face. Probably the best female fighting game character I've seen in years.

Up there with Shiki and Vanessa.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
I love seeing billy in, but let me state I want more range with his move set.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
But Billy already has a lot of reach...do you really need more LWK you'd just be untouchable, lol.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
I just miss his KOF 98/2002 style cA... Trailer makes him look more ranged, bad players aren't helping anything.

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
But Billy already has a lot of reach...do you really need more LWK you'd just be untouchable, lol.

LMFAO

LWK- I think it has to do with bad players/ppl not used to the game yet. Im excited about billy, but watching the vids with ppl playing him makes me like him less.
He looks like he has really good range and quick recovery.