KOF14 announced for 2016 on PS4

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Capture.JPG

That about sums it up.

Andy's face also looks strangely familiar...

300_caitlyn_jenner_spl1064819_002_063015.jpg

Last edited:

BLEAGH

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
View attachment 30986

That about sums it up.

LOL! It took me a good minute to see it! I thought "why is this guy posting cover art of Tekken 2?"

It's crazy how we though the old pre rendered cg cut scenes and cover art from years ago was mind blowing. Now, in game graphics at 60fps and 4k resolutions blow that stuff away. (except for in the case of KOFXIV it seems, lulz)

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
86fe2cc4e2b748c661f930a2581b6a63.jpg

Last edited:

Randomsense

New Challenger
Remember seeing cgi cutscenes on PS1 and thinking "Some day, the whole game will look like that" Today is that day.
That one actually made me laugh... and today has been a rough day.

I've always liked Geese. It would be nice to see him again. Though game wise I'll reserve judgement until release. It could go either way for me at this point.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Well put together video showing off/explaining various in-game systems using footage from the demo at PSX:

Just Defend and a gimped MAX mode are both fine by me.

Setherial

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
I'm still not that convinced to be honest. I hope it turns out to be a good fighter, but I'm afraid Street Fighter V will dominate KOF14 so bad :/

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Just Defend and Rush Combos? count me in.

I'm still bummed about restricting EX moves to MAX mode. We will see how it turns out.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
I'm still not that convinced to be honest. I hope it turns out to be a good fighter, but I'm afraid Street Fighter V will dominate KOF14 so bad :/

definitely,kof 14 is destined to walk in street fighter v's shadow.but hopefully fans would like them both.

there's a good chance i would like kof 14 more. i personally prefer kof 12/13 over street fighter 4. i'm always the odd one out :D

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
definitely,kof 14 is destined to walk in street fighter v's shadow.but hopefully fans would like them both.

there's a good chance i would like kof 14 more. i personally prefer kof 12/13 over street fighter 4. i'm always the odd one out :D

You're not alone, I spent more hours on KOF XIII than SF IV. Both great games though, so I'm hoping for the best with both KOF 14 & SF V.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Couple things I noticed from the youtube link:

- Just Defend can't be done while jumping
- Super cancels don't require an additional power stock

BLEAGH

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
After watching that system video, it really looks like they are playing it safe. A bunch of stuff we've seen before. Not even close to the coolness of v-skill and v-trigger type stuff.

Well put together video showing off/explaining various in-game systems using footage from the demo at PSX:

Just Defend and a gimped MAX mode are both fine by me.

Video footage looks pretty good, gameplay appears smooth. I'm interested in the soundtrack they have planned. A quality remix of classic tracks would bring back the nostalgia.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
I just looked into this Mui Mui character...after someone at gamefaqs was talking about how "awesome" she looks.....

She is a pachinko mascot that is basically a toddler with tits....sweaty neckbeard hamsacks rejoice!

Last edited:

Excellent link! The most interesting parts for me:

"– All 50 characters will be playable at launch/release. Roster is already solid.
– Online will feature a 3on3 mode where 6 players each control a character when it’s their turn. Same characters will be allowed (at current planning stage)
– Fighting game aspect for both offline and online are priority, but single player/story mode experience will also be given focus
- The dev team is a mix of seasoned and new staff. "

That means they're not going the free 2 play route where you have to purchase additional characters to have the regular complete game. The 6 player mode sounds great, hope they have that option for local multiplayer, would make it the party game of choice. Story mode is priority for me, have always enjoyed going through fighting games to see the character endings. Old staff means this reestablished SNK is taking this KOF release very seriously. Combined with the PlayStation Experience presentation and Humble Bundle, it looks like a genuine resurgence to SNK's IP is happening.

Fygee

20 Year Member
– Game is returning to its roots in terms of graphics with “sharp looks on the characters”

Since when were PS1 renders KOF's roots when it comes to graphics?

I'm most definitely all for replicating the look and feel of the older sprites pre-KOF XII/XIII (which is exactly what they meant), but that's no reason to sacrifice quality on 3D models, especially if they're thinking they're going to compete with GG Xrd and SF5.

At any rate, reading the whole interview gives me some hope. To my surprise there's more of the original ex-SNK R&D1 staff than any of us would have thought.

Check the link here. Professor at MMCafe translated it in full.

http://www.mmcafe.com/cgi-bin/forums/bbs/messages/13571.shtml#72069

Last edited:

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
- The dev team is a mix of seasoned and new staff. "

A company, renowned for their sprite work, tries a 3d game...again.

The people that are returning from 'the old days' worked on SPRITE based games. Why anyone thinks their skill set and 'touch' will make any sort of positive impact on this game-is beyond me.

I'm as hype for this, as I would be if ex-toaplan staff came back to compile-heart, to make a 1st person shooter.

Read: not at all.

These models, at 70 percent are SHIT.

I think SFIV looks like Crank Yanker puppets.

I played V, and wished I'd spent the time playing RB2 or Asura Buster.

This generation of gaming has never resonated with me. I was holding out hope, that XIV would be sprites, pixel skinned wireframes(like XIII), or marionette pieces like Rumble Fish 2.

I'm going to go back to shouting at clouds now, lol.

Fygee

20 Year Member
Read the interview posted on the MMCafe link above. It states that some/most of the ex-SNK staff that returned had been working on 3D projects for a while since then, including Oda. They weren't still SNKP sprite monkeys and had moved on long ago since SNK imploded.

Consider that the amount of time and money that it took to make the sprites for KOF XII/XIII took upwards of six years to achieve the roster it had vs the two or so years KOF XIV has had for development time.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Read the interview posted on the MMCafe link above. It states that some/most of the ex-SNK staff that returned had been working on 3D projects for a while since then, including Oda. They weren't still SNKP sprite monkeys and had moved on long ago since SNK imploded.

Consider that the amount of time and money that it took to make the sprites for KOF XII/XIII took upwards of six years to achieve the roster it had vs the two or so years KOF XIV has had for development time.

Yeah it's crazy. 50 out the gate is no joke. That's gotta be a record.