KOF14 announced for 2016 on PS4

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
SNK's marketing for this thing is stomping a mudhole in SF V's ass and walking it dry right now.

Who would have thought we'd see the day where SNK is marketing better than Capcom?

I remember not too long ago, the situation was reversed.

That's what happens when one company remembers its roots while another forgets them.

Also, give Atlus a shit ton of credit. They are awesome hype men.

The Future Is Now.

Yeah right.

Capcom's fighting game marketing leading up to SFV was top class. Now whether or not the actual end product measured up is subjective but the idea that SNKs marketing is anywhere near Capcoms leading up to SFV is laughably wrong.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
^ True. From a marketing perspective Capcom dwarfs SNK. They had the never ending beta testing. Shoryuken.com is the never ending all Steet Fighter channel now with other games pushed to the side. Street Fighter has tournaments broadcasted on national television in multiple countries.

SNK has done an amazing job with what they have, but they aren't flooding the market with media. They (so far as it looks now) are just making a product worth picking up and isn't one giant cash grab.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
I kind of wish Geese was a mid boss without a team too. Would make him even more badass. Put Yamazaki in his place in the South Town team, which you fight before facing him as a mid boss.

Ummmmm.... yeah... *droops head*

I already learned when to believe after the promises they made with KOF13's online. I still remember the "play anyone, anywhere" line.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Looking forward to what you guys report on the demo... I sadly still lack the dough for a PS4.

Also, give Atlus a shit ton of credit. They are awesome hype men.
this is still true.

jdotaku

Angel's Love Slave
i'm with xsq looking forward to demo feedback i lack a ps4 and the funds to obtain one did check the videos and think they are doing a great job with this could be a very successful title for them perhaps the most successful in a while. bummed its ps4 only but understand why no real reason for it to go elsewhere. as for this capcom business they still own no doubt about it

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
for those of you asking I will certainly be snatching up that demo tomorrow and I will be sure to post my thoughts here after a couple hours with the game.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
You can find character tips in this link:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/07/17/the-king-of-fighters-xiv-demo-out-july-19-fighter-guide/

My impressions:

- The gameplay feels intact for the most part (jumps feel slightly floaty, and controls are more fluid / responsive)
- The graphics do seem better live
- The CPU in max difficulty is actually challenging

PS: Nelson has only 2 moves? Not only that but one of them is a dash, the other is a grab. His moves and combos are actually in the form of branched command attacks. Iori's jump feels more floaty than the rest.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
- The gameplay feels intact for the most part (jumps feel slightly floaty, and controls are more fluid / responsive)

I think the floaty feeling is from bumping up the frames from 40fps to 60fps. They pretty much proved in videos that the jumps are the same as KOF XIII.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Jumps felt a bit floatier in KOF XIII as well, so if anything its just a carryover of that.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
I think the floaty feeling is from bumping up the frames from 40fps to 60fps. They pretty much proved in videos that the jumps are the same as KOF XIII.

According to this interview with the devs, the jumps are actually slower:

http://www.mmcafe.com/news/posts/10196.html

"The jump speed is loose on purpose. Previous KOFs were designed for the arcades, but 14 will be mainly played online and the game was specifically designed to accommodate that. Speaking in detail, the game was designed so that with 2-4 frames of lag it'll feel very much like 02 or 13."

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
I thought this was pretty interesting:
Future things that the Developers want to do

- Oda keeps getting told by fans everywhere for a MOTW sequel so he feels obligated to make it one day. (Note: 4gamer has a photo of characters that were designed for the original Neo Geo). In addition, he also wants to make a new AOF since the series never got far enough to find its answer as a fighting game. He also wants to make an Athena and Metal Slug.

- The first company that Neo_G want for after graduating from school was SNK. He failed after applying for planner position because the test told him to draw Nakoruru, and he could only do stick figures. He played Samurai Shodown all the time and wants to make a seriously bloody Samurai Shodown for grown-ups, almost like an MK but with a traditional Japanese samurai drama taste. He also wouldn't mind making another Wind Jammers but it has licensing issues, so he'll settle with Paddle Mania.

- Ogura wants to make a new World Heroes because noone will complain no matter how crazy he goes on it.

- Watanabe wants to make a new Buriki-One, now that consoles come with two analog sticks. He thinks the game can be refined for more fun. But what he truely wants to do is a new fighter or a new action game series.

I know many of us here would be thrilled if any of those things actually happen!!!!

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
I'm pulling hard for Watanabe on this one.

Now that tencent owns both snk and a good chunk of the UFC, there is definitely potential for cross promotion and bringing snk to a much larger, less pillow fucking audience.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
According to this interview with the devs, the jumps are actually slower:

http://www.mmcafe.com/news/posts/10196.html

"The jump speed is loose on purpose. Previous KOFs were designed for the arcades, but 14 will be mainly played online and the game was specifically designed to accommodate that. Speaking in detail, the game was designed so that with 2-4 frames of lag it'll feel very much like 02 or 13."

The jumps feel fine to me as long as I don't focus on the animation of the character. For some reason it's distracting. My guess as to what you were talking about is the start up on moves feels slower by a frame or two. Nothing big at all just enough to notice it's not as crisp as the older games. I'm betting it's for netcode purposes like Tekken does.

Last edited:

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Yeah right.

Capcom's fighting game marketing leading up to SFV was top class. Now whether or not the actual end product measured up is subjective but the idea that SNKs marketing is anywhere near Capcoms leading up to SFV is laughably wrong.

Got by on rep alone. SF V's campaign was nothing impressive and Capcom's inability to spin their recent failures is evidence of their ineptitude.

Sorry dude, but the only one wrong here is you. Suck it up.

Last edited:

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Got by on rep alone. SF V's campaign was nothing impressive and Capcom's inability to spin their recent failures is evidence of their ineptitude.

Sorry dude, but the only one wrong here is you. Suck it up.

add to that the heavily western-centric tone SF has taken and how tastelessly it fronts and it's a dud.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Look, I don't deny that historically, Capcom has been great at marketing.

In fact, do a little NG.COM history check and you'll see I've routinely praised them for this.

And they make some of my favorite franchises of all time.

BUT...

...EVO was ready to receive a new SF game with its legs spread wide open. Minimal effort in both development and in earning a spot at that tournament.

And Capcom's marketing for SF V was average, at best.

I also recognize the fact that Atlus is probably handling the bulk of marketing for KOF.

But SNK and Atlus are killing it right now. This game looks hype and that's based on the marketing, which is superior to anything Capcom did with SF V in terms of creating appeal.

Capcom fucked up with SF V and did nothing to fix the perception problem.

KOF XIV's early trailers looked frighteningly bad and they responded by slicking up their marketing, answering the call and making this game look great.

KOF's marketing has pretty much kicked SF V's marketing.

LOL evo

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Look in PSN under free stuff, although I was having problems downloading it from there. So I instead went to PSN via the web and added it to my account there. Then I turned on my PS4 and looked at my library and it was there under 'The King of Fighters XIV'. You also get a free theme too.

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
So just got done spending a couple hours with the game demo, here are my initial impressions of it.

The Graphics: Ok this game looks way better in person and the videos captured of the game play just didnt do it justice. It's by no means the best looking game graphically but I think its passable and doesnt deserve the hate its been getting in that department.

Gameplay: Kof 14 definitely feels a little chunky to me compared to the smoothness and fluidity of Kof 13. That being said it still feels pretty great imo and definitely reminds of Kof 98 and 2k2 in the way it plays.

also I have to gripe a little about King of dinosaurs hes SO FREAKING SLOW. I had high hopes for this character because he is hype AF and Tizoc is a boss. My initial impressions after spending some time with him is that he is really gonna be low tier. His run speed is just awful and has huge start up. His normals seem ok though and maybe you can use him as more of a turtle type character but that really isnt my style. here is hoping that im wrong about this character and he turns out to be decent cause I really want to play him.

No gripes about the rest of the playable characters im not gonna sit here and write a synopsis on every character but the rest felt great and cant wait to get the full version of this game so I can have some of my favorite characters like Daimon, Clark, Geese, Terry and Ralf I think this game is gonna be really great.