KOF14 announced for 2016 on PS4

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
I think the new characters in this game are cool. I especially like Nelson and Luong. There are also interesting ones like Gang Il, Hein and now Mian. And I rarely like characters that are introduced in KOF.

Yeah im really digging Luong. I get that feeling that i'm gonna be maining her.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
p_art09.gif

Any title in the main KOF series had to feature hand-drawn 2D art.

I just can't handle this title. I keep coming back to this thread hoping to get somewhat excited from updates. Nope, this title is blasphemy. A shit stain in KOF history. If they would have called it maximum impact 3, I could have ignored this like ALL of SNK's ass fucking awful 3D games.

Last edited:

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Part of me understands where you are coming from. After playing so many shit SNK 3d titles I don't want to think 2d is dead. Part of me wishes they would scale back the graphics because let's face it SNK is not known for the graphics and just make fun 2d titles. When it comes down to it if you game me a choice of this or nothing I would choose this. KOF XIII graphics are too insane to maintain.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
p_art09.gif

I just can't handle this title. I keep coming back to this thread hoping to get somewhat excited from updates. Nope, this title is blasphemy. A shit stain in KOF history. If they would have called it maximum impact 3, I could have ignored this like ALL of SNK's ass fucking awful 3D games.

Just because its 3D doesn't mean its a shitstain. Just because it's not Unreal Engine 4, super high quality doesn't mean its a shitstain. The gameplay is there. The characters are there. The personality of the game is there.

Its 2016, and its time to stop assuming that 2D on such a tremendously huge level like that in KOF XII and XIII is sustainable for a company like SNK to continue doing.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
In the latest trailer, Mian's mask keeps changing as she attacks.

Fygee

20 Year Member
I noticed. Its a pretty nice little detail.

Stuart989

Sexless Insecure troglodyte, Has an awesome pc rig
p_art09.gif

LOL, this is nothing like maximum impact games. Despite having 3d models/BGs, it feels like a traditional KOF game and the graphics got better. Sprites are dead, time consuming, possibly costs more and has longer development cycles. Move the fuck on. They did not compromise the feel in any way. In fact, some of these 3d models look way better than kof 13's 2d sprites. King looks so much better than the goofy looking kof 13 version! I was like, "Thank god!"

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
I'll never move on, SNK should sell their IPs and GTFO if they can't afford to make Dot-Pixel 2D games.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
If anyone's interested, they'll be running a KoF XIV stream all day at CEO today and tomorrow.

http://twitch.tv/atlususa

ResO: You're entitled to your opinion but you really need to get the fuck over it. If you wanna stamp your feet and ignore what appears like it's going to be a pretty good new KoF game just because the characters are polygonal and not sprites, you're going to spend your life disappointed. 2D is dead as an outlet to make big-budget games. This isn't Max Impact (which was trash). This is no different from the transition from XI to XII: it looks somewhat different but plays more or less the same and keeps the spirit of the series alive.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
If anyone's interested, they'll be running a KoF XIV stream all day at CEO today and tomorrow.

http://twitch.tv/atlususa

ResO: You're entitled to your opinion but you really need to get the fuck over it. If you wanna stamp your feet and ignore what appears like it's going to be a pretty good new KoF game just because the characters are polygonal and not sprites, you're going to spend your life disappointed. 2D is dead as an outlet to make big-budget games. This isn't Max Impact (which was trash). This is no different from the transition from XI to XII: it looks somewhat different but plays more or less the same and keeps the spirit of the series alive.

As a 2014 member I don't expect you to have as much of an emotional attachment nor have you had to deal with LOTS of SNK bullshit for over a decade. I knew SNK employees and the president of SNK USA and have corresponded with Japanese headquarters on more than one occasion. These franchises are our babies and there's nothing worse than going in a direction that their long term supporters don't really agree with. Hopefully the game plays fine, but they should have outsourced the development to a company that could have handled this 3D better if they felt that they HAD to compete with Street Fighter 4/5 (which are aweful IMO as well, but at least Capcom makes it clear that they don't give a fuck about their fans. Megaman Legends 3 & Darkstalkers Not Dead come to mind.

Last edited:

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Hopefully the game plays fine, but they should have outsourced the development to a company that could have handled this 3D better if they felt that they HAD to compete with Street Fighter 4/5 (which are aweful IMO as well

They did. The original producer who probably 60% of the game was made to resign because it wasn't what SNK fans would get behind. They brought in a former SNK employee, that has experience making Street Fighter IV to come in and fix the piece of shit that the game had become. What we have now is a game that is being put together by a capable person who gives a fuck about how a SNK game should look. Ergo this is the best case scenerio for the hole SNK dug themselves in the 1st place.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
They did. The original producer who probably 60% of the game was made to resign because it wasn't what SNK fans would get behind. They brought in a former SNK employee, that has experience making Street Fighter IV to come in and fix the piece of shit that the game had become. What we have now is a game that is being put together by a capable person who gives a fuck about how a SNK game should look. Ergo this is the best case scenerio for the hole SNK dug themselves in the 1st place.

You think dot-pixels/Dot-Rendering is shit? You're nuts, it's amazing.

Enjoy your Gears of Call of Halo IV Super Ultra Edition mainstream crap. Maybe it will make money, but king of fighters 14 will sure sound intimidating to non veterans. I've never played a Final Fantasy besides tactics, and all the numbers just make me less interested in getting into a series I'm unfamiliar with. Clearly KOF XIV is meant for a shot at a broader market than fans of the series, and they'll fail. I call hype train and practically stillborn within the first quarter after release. This game will only be selling on impulse buys, so they better put some tits on the cover.

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member

It is if it's done well. Some of these new games that use pixels as a cash grab look like complete trash and play just as poorly.

I've never played a Final Fantasy besides tactics, and all the numbers just make me less interested in getting into a series I'm unfamiliar with.

Luckily for you, all the good entries in the series happened before they hit double digits. Just jump in with the low numbers :D

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
In all fairness KOF was good graphically until 2000 and then it died a thousand deaths and again with every new iteration, culminating in the horid junk that where XII and XIII.
I'm somewhat torn. On the one hand I cannot justify 3D stepping in where 2D once stood, as the difference aesthetically is undoubtedly akin to animation versus live action. The former continues to champion a tradition thousands of years old whilst the latter reenacts theatrically but ultimately artificially what the other sustained. The former imitates life as a means of drawing out its beauty and magic, whilst the latter mimicks whatever it is there to replace, the thinking behind it always being that virtual reality is the prime destination for anything recreated on the screen. I think the two approaches are fundamentally different. The former conveys the artist's brush and the latter the ever more accurate rendition of the formula, cold clean efficient.

On the other hand 2D for its own sake can hardly be justified. If it is to be done, invested in, then nothing short of brilliance should be expected. And mediocrity has been a close friend to SNK for 15 years and more. So that quote where a stance is taken with respect to keeping KOF 2D is in my opinion nothing more than demagoguery.

2D was once the only realistic choice in terms of creating visuals for videogames. It has since become optional. Whilst I sustain that it represents a significantly different approach to videogaming, it has to be respected. Prove 2D is still viable by making it meaningful.
I am though, so tired of hearing the reiteration of that argument that 2D is costly and dead. We are not robots, we can and should expect art from games makers as we have done in the past for decades. I for one still want to engage with what I have always seen as pieces of art. Somewhere along the way we started to say to ourselves that making games look/feel evermore like films crossbred with simulations was where we needed to go.
ZzzzZZZzzz...

Last edited:

Fygee

20 Year Member

Enjoy your Gears of Call of Halo IV Super Ultra Edition mainstream crap. Maybe it will make money, but king of fighters 14 will sure sound intimidating to non veterans. I've never played a Final Fantasy besides tactics, and all the numbers just make me less interested in getting into a series I'm unfamiliar with. Clearly KOF XIV is meant for a shot at a broader market than fans of the series, and they'll fail. I call hype train and practically stillborn within the first quarter after release. This game will only be selling on impulse buys, so they better put some tits on the cover.

I believe that he was referring to KOF 14 being a piece of shit initially in development, and they brought Oda on later. He didn't say anything about sprites or pixel art being shit.

Good news though. KOF '94 - XIII are still around, are still great, and still readily available to play, in addition to the numerous other SNK fighters.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
As a 2014 member I don't expect you to have as much of an emotional attachment nor have you had to deal with LOTS of SNK bullshit for over a decade. I knew SNK employees and the president of SNK USA and have corresponded with Japanese headquarters on more than one occasion. These franchises are our babies and there's nothing worse than going in a direction that their long term supporters don't really agree with. Hopefully the game plays fine, but they should have outsourced the development to a company that could have handled this 3D better if they felt that they HAD to compete with Street Fighter 4/5 (which are aweful IMO as well, but at least Capcom makes it clear that they don't give a fuck about their fans. Megaman Legends 3 & Darkstalkers Not Dead come to mind.

If you knew SNK employees then you would know that KoF XII/XIII nearly destroyed that company and that making 2D games on the necessary scale required to make a KoF game in 2016 is a fool's errand for SNK in its current state. So either we can go back to the last 5 years where SNK was a holding company that licensed pachinko games and phone ports (which I'm sure you also spent a lot of time bitching about) or you can make do with what we're getting: a mid-level budget 3D game that captures the spirit and playstyle of past KoF games. KoF XIV as it stands is about the best thing we could've hoped for. Is it perfect? No. Would we have preferred it were 2D? Absolutely. But that's simply not possible. We can't let perfect be the enemy of good.

I'm not saying you have to like it or that you can't prefer the old games over this. I'm saying how about you don't shit on the game every time someone makes a minor update. We get it. You don't like it. Get the fuck over it and move on.

Last edited:

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
If you knew SNK employees then you would know that KoF XII/XIII nearly destroyed that company and that making 2D games on the necessary scale required to make a KoF game in 2016 is a fool's errand for SNK in its current state. So either we can go back to the last 5 years where SNK was a holding company that licensed pachinko games and phone ports (which I'm sure you also spent a lot of time bitching about) or you can make do with what we're getting: a mid-level budget 3D game that captures the spirit and playstyle of past KoF games. KoF XIV as it stands is about the best thing we could've hoped for. Is it perfect? No. Would we have preferred it were 2D? Absolutely. But that's simply not possible. We can't let perfect be the enemy of good.

I'm not saying you have to like it or that you can't prefer the old games over this. I'm saying how about you don't shit on the game every time someone makes a minor update. We get it. You don't like it. Get the fuck over it and move on.

Chill, man. Everyone knows I'm just over exaggerating. Would I like it to be a sequel to KOF XIII? If course, but it's already set in stone and I'll have to look elsewhere for my fighting fix. I'm not sitting here furious or anything, just disappointed. SNK (at least used to) read thee boards. I want them to know where I stand. I completely ignored all the installments after the Neo died until 12. I really digged it aside from the small Roster. 13 Climax was where it's at. All I want is for KOF XIII added to the Xbox One BC list. The new characters in this game are cool, it would have been cool had they used the South American team gal as the same character as the one from Garou 2.

Just ignore my bitching man, that's all it is. I'm sure this will look fine. If people say the gameplay is the best KOF ever I'll buy it, if not I'll rock back and forth in fetal position clutching my limited edition Xbox 360 copy of 13 (I'm still holding out for a copy of Climax on X2, IMPOSSIBLE to find. :(. )

I'll quit my bitching in this thread and stop poopooing on the parade.

If you're reading this Ben Herman, we all still want baseball stars 3 please. ;)

Last edited: