at the end of the rope with Toshiba monitor

leonk

Marked Wolf
I recently acquired a Toshiba 29" true flat monitor (D29CQ56) as a replacement for my MS9-29A (want 31k support for Naomi).

The chassis was filthy! So I discharged the anode, and used a mild cleaning solution and washed down the chassis. I let the chassis sit for 3 days and then use hair dryer to make sure no moisture was left.

I then put it all together, hooked up Naomi, used 100V transformer and powered on. Initially the picture was really dark but after a minute it got bright and looked great. 2 mins later after Naomi booted something strange happened. There were a few crackles, visible snow spikes on the screen and then monitor shut down. I quickly unplugged.

Now when I power on it only has a continuos sound of click, click, click and nothing on screen (like a relay that's cycling). I tested all fuses and they're good.

There's no schematics for this thing and I'm at a loss. Any hope or am I trashing the best arcade crt ever made? I'm willing to pay for repair.

300wins

Conan The Librarian,
I recently acquired a Toshiba 29" true flat monitor (D29CQ56) as a replacement for my MS9-29A (want 31k support for Naomi).

The chassis was filthy! So I discharged the anode, and used a mild cleaning solution and washed down the chassis. I let the chassis sit for 3 days and then use hair dryer to make sure no moisture was left.

I then put it all together, hooked up Naomi, used 100V transformer and powered on. Initially the picture was really dark but after a minute it got bright and looked great. 2 mins later after Naomi booted something strange happened. There were a few crackles, visible snow spikes on the screen and then monitor shut down. I quickly unplugged.

Now when I power on it only has a continuos sound of click, click, click and nothing on screen (like a relay that's cycling). I tested all fuses and they're good.

There's no schematics for this thing and I'm at a loss. Any hope or am I trashing the best arcade crt ever made? I'm willing to pay for repair.

I'm going to send you a PM.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Click, click click I think it the sync selector.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
sounds like the sync selector. mine is stuck in Hi res. has anyone found a replacement part for this?

PunkicCyborg

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
make sure the anode cap is seated properly with both pins and the cup is sealed. If its not you will get moisture in the tube which would explain the flash on the screen then the clicking from the tube which might be sparks at the cap.