Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Small list of updates/DLC I'd like to see:

'Scales' from SMB
SMB2 tile set
Continuous play between levels (SMB & SMB2) no loading levels individually
Doors movable between main and sub level, not just pipes
Map Maker (SMB3 & SMW)
Full enemy set from SMB3 (Fire bros., Boomerang Bros., Goomba Blocks, Boomer or whatever the hell his name is)
Full enemy and object sets from SMW
Slopes - this one didn't bother me at first, because I'm mostly making SMB levels right now, but when I get to SMB3 & SMW it's going to bother me.

Sherlin

Natural Born Killer,
15 Year Member
I've played every level posted in this thread. Great work guys!

Sherlin

Natural Born Killer,
15 Year Member
So the one my son made has had 328 tries. Zero clears. But we've both beaten it.

B7F0-0000-002A-5161

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
So the one my son made has had 328 tries. Zero clears. But we've both beaten it.

B7F0-0000-002A-5161

I'll give it a shot, I had a hell of a time figuring out that jump in the Nintendo world championship level 4 board. I spent a half hour on it ready to smash the controller.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
tbh, I don't find those super hard levels where you have to time every jump 100% correctly very fun. If I wanted to play kaizo shit I'd download it from the internet.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
tbh, I don't find those super hard levels where you have to time every jump 100% correctly very fun. If I wanted to play kaizo shit I'd download it from the internet.

This sums up my feelings perfectly. I've played some of the levels in this thread and they just weren't fun after the 20th death and only being able to progress a screen and a half. The group of people that enjoy that sort of brutal level design is so small, and they're the only ones jacking each other off over their retarded level designs. The real challenge is creating a level that balances fun, challenge, and keeps it interesting. There's a reason nobody likes Super Mario 2/Lost Levels, and it's not even half as hard as some of the dumb shit people are making with this new game.

Undefined

Pope Sazae's fake account
I finally picked this game up last night but have not gotten around to playing it yet. Looking forward to trying out the levels that Sherlin has made. Are there any sites that collect and post up some of the best created levels?

everten

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member

I'm a fan of the hard levels if they are designed well. There's a lot of garbage out there. People are just throwing random shit on the screen without any sort of direction for the player and calling it a level.

I'm sick of these "don't press anything" levels. How are these the most popular levels? Don't people want to play the game?

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
Just got this game in the mail as well. That Ricky Astley level made me pull the trigger :keke:

I'm looking forward to trying your levels guys :D

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
I'm a fan of the hard levels if they are designed well. There's a lot of garbage out there. People are just throwing random shit on the screen without any sort of direction for the player and calling it a level.

I'm sick of these "don't press anything" levels. How are these the most popular levels? Don't people want to play the game?

That shit is the cancer. The top rated course creator here (not sure if its different in murca) has created nothing but those.

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
Tried to re-create the first level of Daimakaimura as best I could. Might need some more work though!

2A8F-0000-0049-9485

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
That shit is the cancer. The top rated course creator here (not sure if its different in murca) has created nothing but those.

I admire the ingenuity that goes into them, but they should be seperated somehow from the playable levels. Giving the top rating to someone for creating those is going to end up discouraging the younger creators from doing anything but that. At least the Kaizo levels are playable (if you feel like sinking the time in).

xxjimmypxx

Rugal's Thug
Looking forward to trying some of these stages out tonight. I've spent most of my times just playing the levels from the creative people, though I haven't really been blown away by anything yet. Some of those don't touch the controller stages are pretty damn cool.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
This game is great, I bought it for my GF (I gave her a WiiU to avoid owning one myself...) and it's awesome seeing the pixels being treated so well. If Pixel based sprites would come back like this and evolve from where they left off we could have a sweet renaissance...wishful thinking...sob.

Gameplay is tight, just like the first time I played SMB NES.

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,

B7F0-0000-002A-5161

I had to download it to see the layout, I beat it but I don't think it counts online if I beat it in maker mode. Kind of a dick move making the coins an arrow that points down to spikes. I think that might be where people are getting hung cuz when you made it that far and you feel tricked no one wants to keep playing.

Ami Tajiri

Over Top Auto Mechanic
F7A7-0000-006D-F7FB

Here's a little art level that I made. It's not too difficult, but I think the concept is fun.

Ami Tajiri

Over Top Auto Mechanic
My partner and I were tooling around on SMM last night and started devising drinkable offenses for 100 Mario Challenge. I present to you:

THE 100 MARIO CHALLENGE DRINKING GAME
Take a drink for the following offenses you run across:
-Auto Mario level
-Trampolines on trampolines
-Egregious level requiring a skip
-Annoying SFX
-Unfun enemy spam
-Copious stars/power-ups/1-ups
-Wall jump abuse
-Kaizo block (asshole hidden blocks)
-Cloud skipping/"Have feather, will skip"
-Blocked flagpole
-Mario Murder at level's end
-Flagrant multi-Bowser
-Hidden Thwomp at start
-Anything Splatoon-related
-Underwater bullet hell
-Levels made of coins
-Malicious time-wasters
-"Use the boost to get through!" (Just damage-boost through stupid bullshit.)

We sat down with beer and hard cider, and the drinks made the shitty levels more tolerable. We decided that you could rate shitty levels by how many drinks they forced you to take. Our top score last night was a five-drink level.

I'm glad for suggestions for additional rules!

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
My partner and I were tooling around on SMM last night and started devising drinkable offenses for 100 Mario Challenge. I present to you:

THE 100 MARIO CHALLENGE DRINKING GAME
Take a drink for the following offenses you run across:
-Auto Mario level
-Trampolines on trampolines
-Egregious level requiring a skip
-Annoying SFX
-Unfun enemy spam
-Copious stars/power-ups/1-ups
-Wall jump abuse
-Kaizo block (asshole hidden blocks)
-Cloud skipping/"Have feather, will skip"
-Blocked flagpole
-Mario Murder at level's end
-Flagrant multi-Bowser
-Hidden Thwomp at start
-Anything Splatoon-related
-Underwater bullet hell
-Levels made of coins
-Malicious time-wasters
-"Use the boost to get through!" (Just damage-boost through stupid bullshit.)

We sat down with beer and hard cider, and the drinks made the shitty levels more tolerable. We decided that you could rate shitty levels by how many drinks they forced you to take. Our top score last night was a five-drink level.

I'm glad for suggestions for additional rules!

Drinking games are for newbs...

I use the "I had a shitty day, time for bourbon, neat" approach...

Sherlin

Natural Born Killer,
15 Year Member
I had to download it to see the layout, I beat it but I don't think it counts online if I beat it in maker mode. Kind of a dick move making the coins an arrow that points down to spikes. I think that might be where people are getting hung cuz when you made it that far and you feel tricked no one wants to keep playing.

You're right it's an absolute dick move. I didn't realize it did that. Hahaha. My son's a douche

Glad you beat it.