Weird issue I'm having in my Room

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I'm having this weird problem with two of my consoles. The JVC X'Eye and PCE Duo. Both cd-roms will not work when they are on top of my TV Stand. I have no issue with running the PCE cards and the Genny carts but CD's will not work. If I move both systems away from the TV Stand and put them on the floor, they both work fine.

I experienced this issue awhile back with the X'Eye and today when I went to fire up the Duo I had the same issue. Could this be some sort of wireless interference that's messing with the laser? This is not a big deal since both consoles work fine as long as I keep them away from that one spot on my TV stand but thought someone might know what could be causing the issue.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
I'm having this weird problem with two of my consoles. The JVC X'Eye and PCE Duo. Both cd-roms will not work when they are on top of my TV Stand. I have no issue with running the PCE cards and the Genny carts but CD's will not work. If I move both systems away from the TV Stand and put them on the floor, they both work fine.

I experienced this issue awhile back with the X'Eye and today when I went to fire up the Duo I had the same issue. Could this be some sort of wireless interference that's messing with the laser? This is not a big deal since both consoles work fine as long as I keep them away from that one spot on my TV stand but thought someone might know what could be causing the issue.

Do those consoles have internal EMI shields?

Regards.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Do those consoles have internal EMI shields?

Regards.

I don't think so.

Is the stand truly level?

^^^^ THIS ^^^^ this is your issue I've dealt with that on the PCE cd rom systems since the 90s, the TG16CD never had this issue for me but it had a monster of a base.

I just checked my TV Stand and it's leveled. I tried the dreamcast and it works fine in that area. It's funny because I'll start up the system and it will stay at the splash screen until I grab it and move it away from the TV stand holding it in my hand. I have to make a video of this. It's the weirdest thing.

FinalbossNYC

Zero's Tailor
It may say its level (meaning the tool known as a level) but the system itself like the lens may not be. I had a white PC duo r that drove me crazy for days back in the day.
still i could be wrong but i had the same issues

codecrank

Whip's Subordinate
10 Year Member
hmmm, maybe electric cables that happen to be running in the wall at that particular height ? use to have problems with a cab who's CRT would have wild color patterns, moved it away from wall and it was fine.

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Yea, I'm not scratching out the possibility that it's not 100 percent leveled but I could hold the Duo in my hand away from the tv stand on a slight angle and it will start reading the disc.
It could be a electrical wiring issue at that height, that's also possible.