Which Raiden Fighters is the best ?

CaseyTappy

Tung's Hair Stylist
Raiden Fighters 2 just edges out Jet for me because of the awesome soundtrack, medaling for score get a bit tiresome tough but they all have that .
I would personally pick Viper Phase 1 over all of them .

firebrand

New Challenger
RF2 Operation Hell Dive is a bit less complicated than Jet in scoring and such, it is a great starter title if you've never played the RF series.

Raiden Fighters Aces is pretty damn cheap these days and will give you a good idea of what titles you might want to pony up the cash for PCBs for.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raiden_Fighters_Aces

RFJ has the most content of the bunch. Your score will dictate which stages are served up at key places so there is definitely a lot of content in the game. If you are looking for an easy 1cc RFJ is the hardest of the bunch, for me anyway. :-p

Last edited:

firebrand

New Challenger
The nice thing about RFA is it has everything unlocked from the get go. My poor RF2 board is still time releasing ships... Nothing like starting an evening of RF2 runs killing myself because I screwed up the hidden ship select button sequence.

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
There's no unlock option in the service menu in RF2? RF let you unlock Raiden MKII and Judge Spear with an option.

firebrand

New Challenger
I've got all of the RF games but I have been wanting to get into the Raiden series for awhile just can't decide which board to start out with, Raiden DX or Viper Phase 1. First, though, going after Ibara and DOJ.

Any suggestions on whether you guys would go with DX or Viper?

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
I had to make that same choice back when I started buying pcbs, haha. I went with Viper New Version since I could play DX on my ps1. (Yeah I know, but when you're starting off priorties are weird that way)

DX has multiple game modes and tons of secrets, not to mention the fading medals which are a real nut-buster to maximize score. Very cool game and lots of depth and replay, it's definitely my favorite mainline Raiden game.

Viper Phase 1 is a bit more subtile in its game mechanics. Or at least until you figure out the secret to maximizing the medal count and turns your entire game strategy upside down. There's a lot more depth than is visible on the surface, but I wouldn't say it's as crazy as the DX medal fade.

firebrand

New Challenger
Thanks for the tips, I was leaning towards DX myself so it is good to hear that was a sound choice. :-)

Hasuki-san

Igniz's Servent
Agreed. Give me DX and Phase 1 any day of the week.
so I ordered Viper Phase 1 NV now and hope it will enlighten me of the mystical space shooting :)

2 years back I had the normal version of Viper Phase 1 and it didn´t catch me. Maybe it was because of the limited ammo for the second weapon, maybe it was because the bullets weren´t flying far enough, I don´t know, but I didn´t liked it in comparison with RFJ. So I will give it another try with the New Version.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
still need to play them my self.