Which Raiden Fighters is the best ?

Hasuki-san

Igniz's Servent
Actually Iエve owned all of them and played them a few times and then decided to keep only RFJ (because of the huge variation of ships you can choose from). But maybe I did a mistake ? Should I get RF or RF2 again ? I remember that the gameplay was smoother, and the level progress was easier to understand, but that can only be imagination

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
I liked all 3. I spent the most time with Jet.

Theyre all pretty intricate as far as finding the hidden stuff and playing for score.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I love RF2, the level design and boss battles are better than the original.

Pick up Raiden Fighters Aces for 360, great collection of ports.

Hasuki-san

Igniz's Servent
I love RF2, the level design and boss battles are better than the original.

Pick up Raiden Fighters Aces for 360, great collection of ports.
I also got in mind that the second part was even more enjoyable than the first one, but I didn´t get it why. The level design was more straight and I guess the music is better. The music in RFJ is terrible, just panic techno.

I was thinking about RFAces, but as I remember the grafix weren´t that nice like the original (or maybe the CRT/TV was shit). But wasn´t the Raiden Fighters series running on 55 Hz or something on the PCB ? Maybe thats why I thought it looks better, sharper in the original

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Jet is very popular for score; however, I like Fighters better for game play.

But, IMHO, I like OHD (and VIPER P1 USA/NV) the best on the SPI system.

Aces 360 is a good way to start off if you have an X-Box. Figure out which game you like the best.

powerflower

Banned
There is actually another version called Raiden Fighters 2 - Operation Hell Dive (chinese version with a sub par sound chip).

If I remember correctly the medal/score system is different. Played it alot on, guess? Mame.

FilthyRear

15 Year Member
I was thinking about RFAces, but as I remember the grafix weren´t that nice like the original (or maybe the CRT/TV was shit). But wasn´t the Raiden Fighters series running on 55 Hz or something on the PCB ? Maybe thats why I thought it looks better, sharper in the original

There's a lot of display options for the games on that disc.

powerflower

Banned
@Hasuki-San

The RF series runs at 54Hz/fps. No console conversion can do it without stutter cause putting 54 images in a 60Hz window will cause some stutter. Look how Ultimate Tiger (55Hz) runs on PS1.

Only chance to do it right is a PC, Emu and a CRT or the PCB of course. Now you can tell the NVidia drver to put out 54fps at that resolution and most likely your CRT will accept that.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
Unfortunately RF1 was monochrome with my supergun and I don't like the game enough to bother. Playing it for score is pretty torturous and not for score it's nothing exciting.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
There's a lot of display options for the games on that disc.
RFA has the absolute best display options of any commercially produced game I've ever seen. There are a lot of options though and you kinda need to know what you're doing.

Hasuki-san

Igniz's Servent
RFA has the absolute best display options of any commercially produced game I've ever seen. There are a lot of options though and you kinda need to know what you're doing.
I know, I have seen this at a friends place and it looked good, but not as sharp as the original. Maybe its because of this 54fps/Hz powerflower mentioned, maybe it was because we weren´t able to put the right video options in RFA, but I believe that the original PCB should have the sharper picture than any conversion on XBOX360 or PS3. Maybe I am wrong, but still I hope that´s the reason why I kept the original PCB :)

Also the sound via the stereo outputs on the Seibu Boards are more brachial and powerful than the versions on the XBOX360. But this can also be wishful thinking

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Raiden Fighters Jet is the best because I own it. Also, any game with Jet in the title is automatically awesome.

Kaioh

Sakura's Bank Manager
2 is my fave for just sitting back and relaxing while playing. Jet is better when it comes to scoring and concentration. I will go along with others in this thread and suggest picking up the collection on Xbox 360.

Luciano

Crossed Swords Squire
Raiden Fighters Jet! Crazy game and 1cc is possible in three ways. The XBOX compilation looks hot with a decent connection and settings.

EDIT: Open for a Hi Score battle :)

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Raiden Fighters 2: Operation Hell Dive.
The train level music alone will give you a heart attack from all the anxiety it creates.

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
Never played any of the raiden fighters games, the Xbox 360 collection was never released over here in the UK, I'll have to get my 360 modded so I can get my mitts on these games the raiden collection goes for around 25 dollars on ebay seems a steal at that price.

FilthyRear

15 Year Member
Never played any of the raiden fighters games, the Xbox 360 collection was never released over here in the UK, I'll have to get my 360 modded so I can get my mitts on these games the raiden collection goes for around 25 dollars on ebay seems a steal at that price.

It originally retailed for $19.99.

Hasuki-san

Igniz's Servent
That's stupid cheap giltygear, 20 bucks for 3 classy shooters, my kind of price range lol...
right, great games for small prices. But I prefer to have the haptic feeling of a PCB, I love the haptic of NeoGeo Carts and I try to avoid CD/DVDs

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
Love em all.

From a beginner standpoint, Jet has the easiest medal chain first sequence. (only have to build up one medal type with one or more helper plane, instead of three medal types while properly managing 3 levels of helper plane count)

Like 2 slightly more than 1, but it's close. I've definitely spent the most time playing 2, which is ironic since that's the only one I don't have access to a pcb.

But yeah, can't go wrong with any of them.

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
Could never get into the series :( Tried, many times, but something about it never quite clicked with me. I will probably try them again down the road anyway :lolz: