Sega CDX Help

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
I always wanted one of these and recently a friend gave me one for free. The catch was it does not play disk.

I have confirmed the motor for the laser track assembly works and so does the laser itself. The cd spindle motor does not work in circuit. I disconnected the motor and ran some dc current through it and confirmed the spindle motor itself works. Of course I am pushing the cd door button down to simulate the door is closed.

If I hit the reset button the spindle motor will move a slight fraction of a inch however.

Anyone dealt with this.

Can someone with a 32x please confirm for me if the cd spindle will turn without needing to read from a cd if you opened the door and held down the button to make it think the door is closed.

Last edited:

ObeyMyEgo

Kula's Candy
I'm pretty sure the laser needs to detect a disc before the motor will spin at all.
My Sega cd is this way, i will check later tonight if the cdx is the same way

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
I'm pretty sure the laser needs to detect a disc before the motor will spin at all.
My Sega cd is this way, i will check later tonight if the cdx is the same way

Thank you, will really appreciate it if you got back to me with this vital info.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Try adjusting the laser pot. The cd laser lens might be shot but it's worth a try.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Hmm. I never messed with the CDX laser pots. Only messed with the X'Eye one.

Check this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iYycQcCTio You could check the pots level at minute 14.

LOL the real reason I was given the cdx free of charge was because I fixed a laser problem with a xeye.

That luke guy in the vid is more of a tinkerer than anything else. He doesn't truly understand the physics behide what he is doing.

I have order a new laser for the cdx, hopefully I can get this thing up so I can play some old old school Lunar.

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
LOL the real reason I was given the cdx free of charge was because I fixed a laser problem with a xeye.

That luke guy in the vid is more of a tinkerer than anything else. He doesn't truly understand the physics behide what he is doing.

I have order a new laser for the cdx, hopefully I can get this thing up so I can play some old old school Lunar.

Yea, I know. That video really doesn't show much. Let us know if the new laser you ordered fixed the problem.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
those things are more trouble than they are worth in my opinion. Just try and fix it, then ebay it. Get a model one HD, and then get a model 2 sega cd, and a sega trio and be done with it.

fremen

Hardened Shock Trooper
Hi dude,

Take care with the lens, it was a hell to find the right one, please read this treath

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?256815-Sega-CDX-dim-RGB-Issue

And one thing about the pots, first to adjust them do at least 3 mark with a marker in every pot to be sure the original position then play with them.

About the pots, they control the swing of the cd, the angle of the lens, and so on, all information about them (if I'm right) is in the megacd 2 service manual, there is not much information out there, I don't remember the forum where I found this.

Saludos

Last edited:

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Hi dude,

Take care with the lens, it was a hell to find the right one, please read this treath

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?256815-Sega-CDX-dim-RGB-Issue

And one thing about the pots, first to adjust them do at least 3 mark with a marker in every pot to be sure the original position then play with them.

About the pots, they control the swing of the cd, the angle of the lens, and so on, all information about them (if I'm right) is in the megacd 2 service manual, there is not much information out there, I don't remember the forum where I found this.

Saludos

This is the one I ordered

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151791040925

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
Do NOT adjust the pots on any model of Sega CD without marking them so you can reset them first.

They are a HUGE pain in the ass to calibrate and require access to an oscilloscope.

ShootTheCore

Bead Banger
Mine is having trouble reading disks now as well. I'm curious to hear the outcome on this repair.

Is the replacement laser a plug-and-play deal or is soldering required?

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
It took so long for the replacement laser to arrive I actually just recalibrated the old one. The answer was to adjust the pot on the laser assembly itself. I now have a fully functional cdx, now to track down some original copies of both Lunars.

I received the replacement laser a day after I fixed the old one.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
It took so long for the replacement laser to arrive I actually just recalibrated the old one. The answer was to adjust the pot on the laser assembly itself. I now have a fully functional cdx, now to track down some original copies of both Lunars.

I received the replacement laser a day after I fixed the old one.

Just hold on to it as a back up. Glad you got it fixed.