Sega Naomi Power Supply (Power Cable)

FDLMagnus

n00b
I recently purchased a Sega Naomi Power supply and upon receiving it I'm not too sure how to get power directly to it, it only has two cables (black and white with a white molex connector on it) is there a special cable I need to power the unit?

Someone told me to just cut the connector off and connect it directly to a standard power cable but I'm not too sure how to do that. Just want to check the information so I don't break anything. Can anyone advise what kind of cord I need for the power supply?

Thank you :-)

bryan

Geese's Thug
I cut the connectors off and wired my own quick disconnects. Its super easy to do. You basically just connect the wires on the psu to the wires on a cord with a plug, just make sure that the wires are correct.

FDLMagnus

n00b
I cut the connectors off and wired my own quick disconnects. Its super easy to do. You basically just connect the wires on the psu to the wires on a cord with a plug, just make sure that the wires are correct.

Ok so have an old computer power cable and removed the end that would connect to a standard power supply and have white, black and green cables so I'm assuming that I can wire in the following manner:

white cable to white cable
black cable to black cable

I'm assuming the green is ground do I need that?

Thx so much for the reply btw

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
The connector is intended for use in some cabinets but it's not necessary. You can cut it off if you want, the black / white will correspond to normal black / white wires on a 3 prong plug. The green (earth/ground) wire can be screwed to the case of the PSU, there's a spot for that. I wired mine to a female plug but a male would work too:

ghetto.png

codecrank

Whip's Subordinate
10 Year Member
electric tape ! skates you're killing me ! ;)

if it's a US naomi PSU, run to radio shack, they carry those connectors. pretty common molex connectors
if it's a JP naomi PSU, it's using AMP UP connectors ( http://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/AMP_Universal_Power ) you'll need a 3 pin female and some pins

also, in commercial installations ( aka arcade cabinets ) there is a fuse and EMI filter inline as well. you can use an all-in-one unit ( like http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MzkzWDk1NA==/z/bfYAAOSwRLZUE2IW/$_35.JPG )

normally the PSU is grounded in the main cab's ground lug, and the cab is grounded via the country's grounding method. Skate's grounding method is what I did as well.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Haha CC, that was in my younger days... no cabs yet :/ It's thoroughly ghetto but gets the point across. Thanks for the proper infos.

FDLMagnus

n00b
Thanks for the help everyone, gonna finish wiring this up and report back, seriously you all rock!

FDLMagnus

n00b
Quick update: IT WORKS! Everything is up and running, CVS2 boots great, now I can build my GDROM collection with MeltyBlood and GGXX and GGXXR, thanks again everyone for the help!