New/Old Neo Geo aficionado just made one of his dream come true!

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior
TL;DR: guy got a MVS board and is happy as a kid getting his Christmas presents

Hi everyone,

I figured out I should make a presentation post to let people know a bit more about myself and my obsession with videogames and, in particular, arcade games.

My name is Luca, I'm Italian and when I was a kid I've spent way too much time in arcades playing videogames (and watching them when I didn't have any credits left).

I'm 28 years old (tomorrow 29, time runs fast!) and if you went to any arcade in Italy during the early 90s, you would have probably seen a lot of Neo Geo MVS cabs. A LOT.
Along with a racing game and the must-have Street Fighter II cab, of course.
Videogames have always be my obsession since I was 4 years old and I was literally in love with the Neo Geo games. The graphics, speed and colours were unmatched at the time when put along with what the 16-bit consoles of that era provided.

At the time I didn't know Neo Geo AES existed until much later. Still, it was a hard to find console in Italy and it was way too expensive.
Obviously I didn't know how a cab worked, so I just took for granted that to play a Neo Geo game, I had to get the entire cab.

Then internet and MAME happened and, for the first time, I could finally play Metal Slug without putting obscene amounts of quarters (actually, "500 Lire") in it. It was MAME 0.36b, I still remember it.
I was jubilant, to say the least, but it didn't last long.
Playing on a VGA monitor with the keyboard didn't really cut it.
Neither did it when I bought a PC pad.
It just wasn't like the original experience.

Then things got worse as LCD monitors came out and it all became horribly looking.

Fast forward to a couple years ago, I discovered the world of upscalers and decided to give it a try with a great Cinemateq Picture Optimizer Plus II.
Results were great, lag was very low (but it still was there, I could definitely feel it with shmups and fighting games) but still... something was amiss.

It wasn't until some months ago that I decided to get a CRT because I realized that was the way it was meant to be played, so I got myself a small but nice 14" Sony BVM 14M4DE.
Needless to say, the results were nothing short of stunning.

One month ago I finally saved a nice amount of cash to dump on my favorite hobby and I was seriously considering getting a PS4.
But then, I don't remember why or how, my attention was caught by a youtube video showing a "consolization" of a Neo Geo MVS.

"What the fuck is a MVS?"
So, I discovered that MVS was the Neo Geo board running inside the cab and it was like a console with cartridges.
I didn't have any more doubts about what to do with the money I saved, so I got a MV1FZ off the ebay and did a lot of research so I could consolize it myself and got a couple of multicarts so I could jump straight into the action with the games that defined my childhood spent in the arcades.

I'm still getting parts and pieces around, but yesterday I managed to hack a horrible 3rd party Mega Drive controller I had floating around and used it to play some Metal Slug 2 and Puzzle Bobble and it was a blast.

Sorry for the wall of text, I can't contain my happiness and had to tell the whole story someplace where people could understand what I went through. :D

When I'll have everything properly up and working I'll take some pics of my setup.

_

While I'm at it, I wanted to ask a couple of questions about the forum's marketplace.

I've read in the rules that only people with at least 100 posts and/or who's being active on the forums for at least 1 month can sell things in the market.

But what about the buyers?
Are there any restrictions?
And what about the WTB threads?
If they want something I have, can I sell it them or the seller rule applies?

Thanks for your time and see you around!

P.S.: I've been modding consoles and making audio equipment for years, so I'll be happy to help people out whenever I see users in distress!

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Hi Luca, thanks for your story, I can relate. Got myself a 14" PVM not too long ago, even though I don't really have the space. After having played emulators for years, then getting myself a supergun and an upscaler to play on my tft, this was a really nice upgrade. I'm pretty much happy now.

If you keep up the post quality you show up to now and keep on reading/doing your own research, I think you'll do fine on here. Especially if you help out folks with tech stuff.

As to your market questions: I think your best bet would be to steer clear of the market until the regulars on here got to know you. Generally it is not looked well upon around here to buy or sell without a reputation. Just stay a while, join in the discussions and then in a couple of weeks check out the market.

from one noob to another: welcome to the forums.

Last edited:

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior
Thanks for the reply, I'll definitely post around to let the old users know me better.

I saw a KoF2000 cartridge in the market, I guess I'll have to hold up a couple of weeks before going in :)