Midway MK2 board video (workaround found!!)

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Hey guys

I got a complete MK2 board (including sound board and cables). It works fine, the guy tested it on his cabinet. However, it will not give correct image on my supergun, which uses the Neobitz encoder. The only way I have managed to get image is using composite video, with the sync cleaner enabled, but the image is black and white, and generally looks wrong. I just learned that these boards use a strange sync frequency (53Hz). My question is: is there any way to make this work? I do not have an RGB display and both my TVs are LCD, I do not have a CRT.

Thanks!!

Last edited:

chinitosoccer

Camel Slug
Change your TV or get an arcade monitor, I have a crappy Vogatek Mark 1 hooked to an "Atlona SCART RGB to component" converter, and both Mk1 and MK2 look just fine on my even more crappier 21" CRT TV, I use Component though, the Atlona can't do composite video.

BLEAGH

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Definitely due to the sync. Lots of midway and it boards run at weird syncs. In my experience you will have to just try different tvs until you find one that will work. Sometimes the picture is black and white. Sometimes it rolls.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Even most CRTs are not compatible with that sync. I had nice 20" Sony that couldn't handle it, had to use my old 13" Commodore monitor. There's no easy fix.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Thanks for the information guys. Unfortunately, getting a CRT here is difficult, because they are still expensive, and I do not have the space to have a cabinet.

Is there any way to know if a given TV will work? I mean, can I take a look at the specs and determine from some value if these boards will or not work on the TV?

Thanks!!

Edit: I managed to get an acceptable image (is very bright, but can be fixed) by using my gonbes 8200 encoder and similar settings to the ones in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TrLaQU80D0

Last edited: