Game boy Ballers post here

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
OH are y'all aware of that new homebrew for Game Boy Player that outputs in 240p and has the video output synced to the GB/A's refresh rate rather than doubling frames to match a TV's refresh rate?

This is cool but theres no way to get 240P out of a US gamecube I thought?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Cubes can output 240p. The MegamanX collection uses that resolution.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Thanks for that, I hadn't heard of the SGB2 before.

Only thing I don't like about the SGB is the borders, you can't go full screen. Is the SGB2 the same in that regard?

Yeah, but the SGB2 fixes the slight timing issue of the first.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
To be honest it's not the easiest mod to do. The installation is pretty straightforward, but you have to take apart the LCD screen a bit, and there's a 50/50 chance you're going to damage it. Or even if you do it right, there's a pretty good chance you're going to get dirt, fingerprints, or something on it that will bug you forever if you are OCD like me. I got lucky and didn't damage it, used gloves to prevent fingerprints, and cleaned cleaned cleaned it so it came out nice.

At one time I also had a little blue Gameboy Pocket. I LOVED that thing, but lost it a long time ago. I'd kill for a backlit version of it. The GB Boy Colour is close though.

I don't really have a pimp collection, just common loose carts I've picked up over the years, same ones everyone else has. One thing that stands out to me is that although the Gameboy in any iteration before the GBA was never particularly advanced, they were fun and haven't aged much. I can still have a blast with Super Mario Land at any time. Or Tetris. Or Kirby.

Hey Greg, you want an old beat up DMG? I have one of the clear ones that I found in my house when I moved in. I planned on modding it but never got around to it, it still works fine.

I'm tempted. I do have friends that can fix it for me. PM'd

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Is Ninja Boy 2 like Little Ninja Bros. on NES, or super Ninja boy on SNES? If so, those are dope co-op JRPGs that were a ton of fun!

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Can't you either replace a crystal onboard the SGB1 or feed it a clock from a retrofitted crystal and it will run just as well as a SGB2?

Oh I forgot about this GBCamera photo heh
1469848_10100151508128735_266770476_n.jpg

That's NTM on my PVM (if you can tell this was via RGB on my PVM then you get a cookie)

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I'm tempted. I do have friends that can fix it for me. PM'd
I don't see a pm, but it's yours if you want if just shoot me an address.

It may take a while for me to send it, I'm in the middle of rearranging my office and there's a bunch of shit piled up in front of the storage cabinet it is in. I'll have it cleaned up in a few days.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Thanks to Jon in the other thread the bug has bitten me again... got a frontlight modded gameboy color on the way and these games:

Crystalis
Donkey Kong
Final Fantasy Legend III
Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX
Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
Thanks to Jon in the other thread the bug has bitten me again... got a frontlight modded gameboy color on the way and these games:

Crystalis
Donkey Kong
Final Fantasy Legend III

Nice starter pack. Personally, I wouldn't have bothered with the GBC port of Crystalis...the NES version blows it out of the water completely. Has horrible synthesized voices that just make you go "WTF?"

Couple more I'll suggest: Ninja Gaiden: Shadow, Batman: The Video Game, Battletoads (first one...not Ragnorok's World), Gargoyle's Quest, and Cosmo Tank.

Greg, don't bother with Ninja Boy 2 on GB...it's pretty bad. I only have it in my collection because I got it for $35 a few years ago. Found out shortly after I got it that it's one of the rarest games on the system. (Last one listed on ebay had a buy it now of like $1,700...way overpriced, BTW) GB collectors go nuts for that game.

When it comes to rare games, unfortunately, they fall into one of two different categories: They're either really good/amazing or, complete shit. No way around it...GB is no different, either. For every Trip World, there's Fish Dude. For every Spud's Adventure, there's Out of Gas. For every Chikyuu Kaihou Gun: ZAS, there's Ninja Boy 2. Etc, etc.

Jon

Undefined

Pope Sazae's fake account
I need to get a new GBA SP or some kind of backlit system as I hate having to play with a lamp right above me. But then I only have one cart and that's an Everdrive. I wish there was a GBA everdrive since I do have a few carts on there but would like to have the full library, Super Robot Wars is one of my favorite games.

o.pwuaioc

Crossed Swords Squire

Crystalis
Donkey Kong
Final Fantasy Legend III

Where'd you get the GBC from? Also, is it technically possible to make a back-lit GBC, or does the tech preclude that?

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Nice starter pack. Personally, I wouldn't have bothered with the GBC port of Crystalis...the NES version blows it out of the water completely. Has horrible synthesized voices that just make you go "WTF?"

Couple more I'll suggest: Ninja Gaiden: Shadow, Batman: The Video Game, Battletoads (first one...not Ragnorok's World), Gargoyle's Quest, and Cosmo Tank.

Greg, don't bother with Ninja Boy 2 on GB...it's pretty bad. I only have it in my collection because I got it for $35 a few years ago. Found out shortly after I got it that it's one of the rarest games on the system. (Last one listed on ebay had a buy it now of like $1,700...way overpriced, BTW) GB collectors go nuts for that game.

When it comes to rare games, unfortunately, they fall into one of two different categories: They're either really good/amazing or, complete shit. No way around it...GB is no different, either. For every Trip World, there's Fish Dude. For every Spud's Adventure, there's Out of Gas. For every Chikyuu Kaihou Gun: ZAS, there's Ninja Boy 2. Etc, etc.

Jon

Thanks for the heads up. Anybody play Survival Kids? I heard that was an awesome game.

Here's the rest of my games I had at my house:

aRDG2LQ.jpg

Nothing major. My cousin gave me one of the cases, and my fave game in this line-up is Elevator Action. I also have Dragon Warrior 3 GBC, but can't find it. :\

Jarofmayo

Morden's Lackey

Jon
This is exactly why I wouldn't even bother trying to go for a full set of gb games (or any other system for that matter). Too many rare and expensive games that just suck and are not worth the money.
Thanks for the heads up. Anybody play Survival Kids? I heard that was an awesome game.
I've played it before, pretty fun game.

Last edited:

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I still like to play my Gameboy Pocket sometimes. I have about 50 cart only games which I just pick up when I see them cheap, nothing too exciting in there.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member

Ah bummer, I was hoping Crystalis would be a good port. :/

I've been watching youtube vids to make sure some of the games I haven't played before are good, but I skipped over that one and just ordered it.

My buddy growing up had Batman, so I know that one is aces! I will be looking out for a copy for sure. I also used to have Ninja Gaiden Shadow and I had a copy of Red Arremer (JP Gargoyle's Quest) that came with a Gameboy Pocket Light I imported from japan about a decade ago. I really should have kept that stuff.

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
This is exactly why I wouldn't even bother trying to go for a full set of gb games (or any other system for that matter). Too many rare and expensive games that just suck and are not worth the money.

Oh, trust me, a complete set is not in the cards for me. Not only do I not want one, particularly the sport titles, that ship may have sailed sometime circa 2005. I can think of ten games for GB off the top of my head that are pushing/over $1000.

Jon

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
That's absolutely fucking ridiculous.

It is. Though, I feel I should add, that's CIB, not loose.

But, to answer your next question, yes, I'm referring to GB games I DON'T own.

Jon

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
You should build a super camera which is able to pictures in the resolution of the SNES.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
GB library 001.jpg

Crappy picture but this is my collection.

Mega Man Wily's Revenge
Mega Man III, IV, V
Mega Man Xtreme
Tetris
Kirby's Dream Land 1 and 2
Kid Icarus
Resident Evil Gaiden
Centipede / Millipede
Legend Of Zelda Oracale Of Ages and Seasons
Metroid II
Double Dragon
The King Of Fighters 95'
Castlevania II
TMNT: Fall Of The Foot Clan
Space Invaders
Dr. Mario
Battletoads
Super Mario Land
Killer Instinct
Samurai Shodown
Game Genie

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Where'd you get the GBC from? Also, is it technically possible to make a back-lit GBC, or does the tech preclude that?
You can't backlight mod it, but there are clones that have a backlit screen. The frontlight mod is basically taking the light from a sp and squeezing it in there. If you really want one I could be talked into selling mine, I hate it.

o.pwuaioc

Crossed Swords Squire
You can't backlight mod it, but there are clones that have a backlit screen. The frontlight mod is basically taking the light from a sp and squeezing it in there. If you really want one I could be talked into selling mine, I hate it.
Frontlit GBC? Is it perchance Atomic Purple? My wife does not care for the GBA, yet isn't fully satisfied with her unmodded GBC.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member

Sorry I missed your post! I got mine here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/201408966276?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3D201408966276%26_rdc%3D1

I just ordered it yesterday so I don't have it yet. He sold me with that LOCA glue that's used to cement cell phone digitizers to the glass screens. Supposedly it's going to have better clarity. We'll see how it is.

View attachment 28322

Crappy picture but this is my collection.

Mega Man Wily's Revenge
Mega Man III, IV, V
Mega Man Xtreme
Tetris
Kirby's Dream Land 1 and 2
Kid Icarus
Resident Evil Gaiden
Centipede / Millipede
Legend Of Zelda Oracale Of Ages and Seasons
Metroid II
Double Dragon
The King Of Fighters 95'
Castlevania II
TMNT: Fall Of The Foot Clan
Space Invaders
Dr. Mario
Battletoads
Super Mario Land
Killer Instinct
Samurai Shodown
Game Genie

Nice collection! That Megaman 5 is worth a shit ton of money now. I couldn't believe it when I saw what it's going for now.

Last edited: