Game boy Ballers post here

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
You just got sonned. :keke:

Yeah, I only have a loose one, too. 99% of the Kid Dracula's you see on ebay are UK versions...you can tell because they have a round Nintendo seal on the front of the box, rather than oval, which are US. US ones go for $500-600. Loose carts, last time I checked, were like $60.

Jon

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Which is exactly why I still don't own Kid Dracula again. Gouging. They don't come up often enough on open auction anymore so the BINs have it wherever they'd like to squat on it for.

I got a nice gameboy color mixed find over the weekend for $85. The thing is I mainly bought it just for the GBC in there, it's like brand new, along with a yellow flip case Pikachu carrier as I wanted a GBC for my little girl to enjoy some basic things on as a reward. I did get plenty of games, enough were just garbage, but also the ones that were not had considerably decent value. There were 2 copies of SMB DX (she gets one), Tarzan (her), then there were 3 dead battery beauties Resident Evil Gaiden (me), Pokemon Gold (sell), and Pokemon Crystal (may sell or keep not certain) G&W Gallery 4 (me) and the rest I'd sell GB Double Dragon and TMNT1, GBC SMB DX, GBA Crash Bandicoot2 with Mario Party and YuGiOh too. THere were 6 others, crap, traded them locally for $5 in store credit. I have batteries in the mail to fix those 3 games up that were spent.

I'm really tempted to keep Pokemon Crystal as a new battery replaced one is worth like $50 on ebay but I've never experienced it either. I skipped that generation until the rehash remaster of Silver on DS and I just have Yellow and FireRed. Nice bonus, the former owner was this smoking hot redhead and she treated her stuff with respect, not a mark on anything.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
I did not read through the whole thread buuuuut a good way to collect your GB and advance games is in a 9 pocket card sleeve and store them in a binder.

IMG_20160619_185625796~01.jpg

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
Nope. Works pretty well. They are deep enough so the dont slide out unless you push them up from the bottom.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I tried to do that for awhile but I got fed up having to pop everything back out and reorganize it everytime I got a new game as I kept them in A-Z order making stuff easier to find, and that's why I resorted to an antique library 2 drawer card catalog. It's just wide enough with some give for any form of GB game side by side (2 wide, and until it's full.) And in the end if you have enough GB games it takes up less room than a few binders and looks nicer too as a piece of furniture instead of just a folder.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
I tried to do that for awhile but I got fed up having to pop everything back out and reorganize it everytime I got a new game as I kept them in A-Z order making stuff easier to find, and that's why I resorted to an antique library 2 drawer card catalog. It's just wide enough with some give for any form of GB game side by side (2 wide, and until it's full.) And in the end if you have enough GB games it takes up less room than a few binders and looks nicer too as a piece of furniture instead of just a folder.

My folder fits in a drawer. :loco:

Last edited:

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Good thread. I've been playing some Game Boy since I got my complete Game Boy Light. Here are some things that haven't been mentioned yet.

1. Peetan - Chicken egg dropping simulator. You drop eggs to turn see-saws to the right angle so baby chicks can climb up and escape a hungry dog. Recommend.

2. Noobow - Super under-appreciate / rarely mentioned puzzle/platformer. You play as a blob and at the end you meet Santa. It's awesome. Def my favorite non-Nintendo GB game.

3. The GBA is not a portable SNES! The architecture is completely different. SNES had a Ricoh CPU. GBA had an ARM (and a Z80 for GB compatibility). The GBA had double the RAM and quadruple the VRAM. However, even though the Richoh's clock speed was slower than the ARM, it was better suited for games and could handle a lot more on its own, as opposed to offloading to other chips. Also, the GBA carts were too small for any graphic acceleration chips. So it wasn't a matter of dropping a SNES ROM onto a GBA cart. Each port was rebuilt from the ground up, making them more remakes than ports.

I don't have a Game Boy Color, but am planning on picking up a transparent orange one from Japan. Someone posted the Tommy Hilfiger one earlier in the thread. I remember seeing that in ads for 1080 Snowboarding, oddly enough, and remember wanting it, but you could only win it. GBC just never had any appeal for me, even when it came out.

Some games I'd like to grab are Money Idol Exchanger (now that I know this exists thanks to this thread) and Catrap.

Also, I'll try to post some photos of my collection.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
The comment about calling it a portable SNES was that it got quite a few SNES ports, and externally speaking from the game playing side of things, games looked and sounded deeply like games from that system compared to others. The argument in a way could also be made that it was also Saturn like too at least in respect to the higher capability to push more sprites and do stuff with them SNES can't. Also the fact the Saturn was no 3D system and in a similar way the GBA isn't either yet both pulled off 3D worlds (and as a side effect have similar flaws too such as warping polygons towards the edges of the screen.) V-Rally 3 vs Sega Rally are good comparisons on that one.

fake

15 Year Member
Honestly it would have been a better idea to actually make a portable SNES. Add two more face buttons and republish all the old stuff and a ton of new stuff. Programmers already know everything they need to create a solid game.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I half agree. It was insanely stupid not having 4 face buttons leaving off Y and X. Other than that the hardware there is more capable than the SNES so it would have allowed for the best of both worlds.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
I just wish that certain GBC games were able to take advantage of the L/R buttons or had X/Y buttons originally for the sake of games like Mega Man Extreme and MME2; w/out a dedicated dash button, those games feel impossible once you get past the stage bosses.

On a side note, I've been really trying to complete my GB/GBC/GBA collection recently and have picked up (or re-picked up) some great games CIB. GBA is still my favorite library, and there are a LOT of great games on the GBC.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
The comment about calling it a portable SNES was that it got quite a few SNES ports, and externally speaking from the game playing side of things, games looked and sounded deeply like games from that system compared to others. The argument in a way could also be made that it was also Saturn like too at least in respect to the higher capability to push more sprites and do stuff with them SNES can't. Also the fact the Saturn was no 3D system and in a similar way the GBA isn't either yet both pulled off 3D worlds (and as a side effect have similar flaws too such as warping polygons towards the edges of the screen.) V-Rally 3 vs Sega Rally are good comparisons on that one.

And also that it had a lot of good games, like the snes.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
That it did. GBA to me was a blend of both the quality levels those 2 systems put out, but on the go. As much as I so cared for GB/GBC for so long, GBA blew me away and still does when I come across the right thing I missed.

3D just really surprised me on there though. V-Rally basically was in a way Sega Rally which said a lot to me but three other games are insane stand outs wondering how the hell they did it and well enough to play nicely too. Driver3 was like a scaled back but still there lite version of GTA on like the PSP and it worked. Asterix & Obelix XXL(EU only) was the systems only 3D 3rd person adventure platformer and it shockingly plays as well as the rigid games of those style did on Saturn/PS1. The last and to me most impressive CGI cutscenes obviously removed) Wing Commander Prophecy the PC game was converted, all the stages, all the 3D ship models (even shield sparking and explosions) were all captured and even the in cockpit chatter was retained too. All this coming from a system that started with Super Mario Advance, Castlevania, Iridion, Super Dodgeball and Tony Hawk (with this one only giving a potential hint with 3D polygonal skaters in it.)

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
2. Noobow - Super under-appreciate / rarely mentioned puzzle/platformer. You play as a blob and at the end you meet Santa. It's awesome. Def my favorite non-Nintendo.

Never heard of that one before and it looks legit. Putting it on my wish list now...

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Revo k101

Are these worth the price? They are rather expensive for a backlit GBA clone. The main draw to me is the link cable and GC link cable work with this clone.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Revo k101

Are these worth the price? They are rather expensive for a backlit GBA clone. The main draw to me is the link cable and GC link cable work with this clone.

I'll sell you mine if you want it, I never use it anymore since I modded the GBA. We had a thread on it a while back you should be able to find by searching, I'm pretty sure I posted a review in there. Overall, it's a pretty good unit, the only real catch is the LCD isn't the same resolution of the original so it's a little blurry, but it's otherwise a really nice screen and a comfy handheld.

dakone

n00b
Here are a couple revisions of my Gameboy drawer. NGPC is next.

Gameboy drawer v. 1
YeMluO2.jpg
Gameboy drawer v. 2
4waicf5ukt6y.jpg
DS games on N3DS
jqhG1fE.jpg

fake

15 Year Member
Nice presentation. How did you backlight a Game Boy Pocket?