Game boy Ballers post here

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I'd be up for that. I had done this ONCE before using a 101 screen and popped it with a ribbon converter inside an original GBA as they're the most comfortable to use being controller like in heft/size. Problem is I lack a lot of good tools I should have and screwed up modding the plastic of all things. Stressed the screen I suppose too much when closed up, so one day weeks after doing it I dropped it off my desk (3ft) onto carpet and the stress pressure cracked the damn screen. >:[ I haven't had a modded system since, though I'd do it all over again if I could get a 101 panel for a low price. But given how people are even about wrecked 101s these days because for everyone condition doesn't matter if it works, I'd probably be better off buying one off a private seller on ebay for $100~ instead of some pro troll finding chumps for $150+.

I've got a cherry DMG and original release GBP too (and a color purple as well.) Those 2 though I got them second hand, but the DMG came from a closet after 25 years of no day light as some spoiled little girl didn't like her Christmas gift back in 1989, used it a few hours with Tetris, and put it away -- earphones and link cable were still bag sealed/tied up when I got it in January and only set me back $40 complete in the box. The GBP I got a week later, same price, same condition, dead mint, manual never removed from the bag in that plastic snap case they did before the cheap cardboard boxes. I also have a NES style SP that's cherry other than a few scratches on the battery cover (which given the chance I'd replace.) I also have a CIB silver body/black plate (and the others in box) gb micro too.

Gameboy has been my thing since it came out, but really came into its own when Nintendo f'd up with the N64 carts and the Sony media slam campaign that dried up games on it for a good two years. I got hard core into all things Gameboy and started buying games both new but also many second hand local retail where I lived then and I've been through a LOT of the old GB and GBC library, good selection of the GBA too (I even was media for awhile and reviewed games for it and DS) which added to it.

Currently this is what I have for all 3 of the systems:
http://tanooki.byethost16.com/gameboy.html
http://tanooki.byethost16.com/gameboycolor.html
http://tanooki.byethost16.com/gameboyadvance.html

This is down from things I've had in the past, but I'm all up for adding more to it. I'm casually trying to spot out a deal on FF Legend on the whole but 3 (complete w/map square release has it only) in particular. Not the box, just complete otherwise. Gameboy cardboard buying the prices get into pure bullshit levels. I'm currently due to recently acquiring a MVS this month am pondering maybe a return to NGPC ownership.

TobyPC

n00b
I plan on doing the 101 screen swap on mine once my ribbon cable comes in.

I got an AGS-001 for 26 on fleabay...super clean condition, too. Feels so much better in the hand than the SP.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I really wish I had the tools have done the plastic carving better on mine as I'd still have it. That is the key thing right there. Comfort. The 101 in the original body is fantastic as it feels like you're using a SNES controller kind of, it just fits, and no L/R button use finger/hand tension cramping the other models cause. It also helps being able to use stock AAs (1 shot or rechargeable) since you're not stuck using OEM parts made for the device.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Thanks. It's a fraction of what I've had over the years. When the N64 got pretty flimsy for 2 years between into 1997 and into some of 1999 I went hardcore used old GB and GBC buying. Cheap, fun, play anywhere, took a GB to college with me during the day when on break. I've had quite a lot, also got some extras I'd have never bought that ended up decent when I did game reviews on the tail end of the GBA into DS era so there's that too. I still discover some decent fun things, like recently got Mercenary Force, screwy weird shooter on foot with people doing combat.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Mercenary Force was definitely the best Meldac GB release. It was originally planned to be released Under the title Ultima: Shots, but licensing fell through and Meldac thankfully released the title under a different name.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Hey here's one, very late GBC release -- Wendy Every Witch way. Based of all things of a semi-obscure cartoon/comic book license from the house that made Casper the Ghost. Wayforward (shantae) did this one. I'd put it in the lower end of the difficulty scale but it's not boring easy or boring either in general. The game has a lot of stages, it's a platformer but almost a puzzle in some aspects because it apes the gravity mechanics of Metal Storm from the NES by Irem. You can flip flop gravity at any point in time and the mechanic works to survive spots of stages but also to turn the terrain on enemies to take them out (spikey death for instance.) It's a fun game, more chill than a stress, password saves at points too.

lolifoxgirl

Rot., Rot., Rot.
Mercenary Force was definitely the best Meldac GB release. It was originally planned to be released Under the title Ultima: Shots, but licensing fell through and Meldac thankfully released the title under a different name.

It never ceases to amaze me how much you know about these obscure titles.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Second that here when it comes to old Nintendo crap I know more than is probably healthy from memory with the NES, GB and SNES stuff, tapers off more as the years roll forward.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Anybody play Boomers adventure in Asmik world? I remember playing that on a family vacation. I wonder how it is now?

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Never was much of a fan of that type but looking at it I'd imagine it would have aged alright if you're into that style of game, but if not, it would get stale or annoying pretty quickly. Action-puzzle types like that tend to stay in good standing as long as they have some decent bones to them.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I've been enjoying GBI but noticed there's a noninteger scale on the horizontal axis and tbh I've been playing it less as a result. I brought this up in the GBI before on the forum it's on, didn't hear anything from the dev, but someone else noted this and the dev responded saying he'll work on it. I'm actually really excited, can't wait to see this in an update.

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
Anybody play Boomers adventure in Asmik world? I remember playing that on a family vacation. I wonder how it is now?

It's alright. Basically, the object of the game is to find a key in each level...it's usually buried...while trying to avoid other enemies. The problem is, the enemies can dig up and take the key (without your knowledge) so, you definitely have to keep on your toes. There's a time limit, too. It takes a lot of luck, patience to get far in the game. There's a boss battle every tenth floor. After getting to the top, (50th floor) you have to go all the way back down.

There's a sequel that was only released in Japan called Asmik-kun World 2 which has you building a road to the goal. I never made it very far in this one.

Asmik-kun was Asmik's mascot (he's that little pink dinosaur guy on most of their cover arts) and there are several games starring him on Famicom, as well.

Jon

PS: Speaking of Meldac games, has anyone played Heiankyo Alien? I used to love it.

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
Not sure why I haven't posted in this thread yet...I love Game Boy, especially the GBA since it is pretty much a portable SNES. About a year ago I bought a couple SP 101's and love them. Some people seem to like playing on a OG GBA but I think the SP is more comfortable for me personally. Here is a good chunk of what I own (missing most of my GBC games though, they are in storage atm.) A lot of the GBA games I picked up when GameStop B2G1 them on clearance. I do own some boxes but I keep them in storage too.

image2(6).JPGimage1(15).JPG

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Very nice spread, and I see some lesser known gems in there too, especially on the GBA.

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
Thanks, yes I enjoy the hidden gems for sure. Many of my favorite GBA games are rarely mentioned. I do need to pick up some of the more popular titles (i.e. Castlevania games) though.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
One that comes to mind is Car Battler Joe from Natsume. It's like f-zero, mad max, anime goofy ass stuff, and RPG like upgrades all rolled into one. Surprised (almost) there was never a follow up. Krazy Racers is another, in some ways superior to Mario kart, and that one did get a mobile phone update which the konami slackers never upgraded after a point so I think it's DOA at this rate. The KOF game on there is solid, more so than for me that bloated annoying Alpha3.

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
Car Battler Joe definitely is an interesting one, and I haven't played anything else really like it. I have to say when I played it I did have a hard time getting into it, I put a couple hours in and never went back to it. I need to give it another chance sometime. KOF is awesome and I agree is better than SF3, I've been on the lookout for the 2nd KOF game for a long time. SSF2 is a good one as well. I hunted for Dual Blades for years after seeing a copy and passing on it, but that one ended up really disappointing. Krazy Racers was my very first GBA game, and I agree it is better than Mario Kart. My very favorite racing game (and probably my very favorite GBA game total) on the system though is Road Trip: Shifting Gears. It is in the Choro Q series and is surprisingly deep with a ton of challenges, cars, and upgrades. It never gets mentioned but I had so much fun with that game and recommend it to anyone.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Well I had the 2nd KOF I'm fairly certain I didn't like it as much. CBJ takes time to warm up to it, but if you like blowing up cars and harvesting their parts in a f-zero style it gets more fun as it goes along. SSF2 on GBA if you have it, I hope it's the JP version, the english (US/EU) one is broken, if you earn Akuma it permanently breaks the save data with all 9s and glitches out in the game it does this. I also would never recommend Final Fight either other than Japan because they censored it as badly as the old SNES title with no blood, no women, and other slashes.

I don't think I saw it in that image, but I have suggestions: Into the FPS stuff? DOOM2 is a spot on almost perfect PC port, just 1 stage was diced into 2 as it needed more RAM than GBA had to give. DOOM1 is a Jag port, still fantastic but not the PC game entirely. Wolfenstein3D is, but the cheap twats at BAM didn't want to pay more for a chip so they removed all music (sfx/voice still there) but it's accurate otherwise. Duke Nukem 3D Advance is not a PC port it's unique, but it's a good size and very well made and detailed.

Unique? Ever tried 3D on there? There's some good stuff, but the 2 best recommendations I have for your fun and they're both stupid cheap ($5~) games. V-rally 3D which is a 3D in or out of car polygonal racing game, it renders the terrain and the rest like the Sega Saturn Sega Rally does so you get the same weird morphing/wobbling textures on polygons - game even has an in car view with crackable windshield and floating hands on the wheel. The other is a pretty spot on (minus all the FMV) conversion of the PC game Wing Commander Prophecy all agian in 3D (research blue roses engine) and it even has some vocals from all the talk/insults you get in flight mode.

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
The only FPS I have right now are Dark Arena and Ecks vs Sever, both of which I need to spend more time with. I would pick up any of the other FPS's if I found them for a good price. I do have SSF2 and Final Fight One, but I am okay with the NA versions. I'll have to look back and see if my data on SSF2 is broken.

And those suggestions look really cool, thanks. I'm also down for more racing games and V-Rally looks good in my book. Also Wing Commander is about $8 new so I think I may try that one too, I've never heard of it before. I also noticed you have The Tower, I meant to get a copy awhile back and completely forgot. It looks pretty fun too.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
The tower is fantastic a gbA version of sim tower. Prophecy is basically wing commander five and worth it. By the way you bought what are fairly known as the worst fps games on the gba unfortunately.

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
Yeah, they only cost me a few bucks at most so I grabbed them. I will look to grab a copy of those two games in the near future. Another hidden gem is Wade Hixton's Counter Punch, it is really fun and similar to Super Punch Out.