Game boy Ballers post here

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
You can store one (or more depending on size) in the NOR memory on the EZ4 and then quickly boot back to it without flashing again after power on. For a large game like Mother 3, it's the only thing that will fit onto the NOR at one time. For other smaller games, you could maybe fit like 3-5.

For real? How do I do this?

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Sweet, thanks kuze. I was able to flash a couple games to the NOR, so now it's quicker to get up and running on games I've been concentrated on lately.

Also figured out that the only way to play Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories is to flash it to the NOR. Haven't played that game before and figured I'll give it a shot later on. Too bad it takes up the entire NOR space...

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Guys, these look awesome. Are these just GBA SP ASG-101 screens...or something different? The reason I ask is because I was in the market for a regular SP ASG-101...but I am wondering if I should be considering something else....

I'll just post this here. I've been experimenting with various models of Gameboys and doing different kind of screen mods. So far this is my favorite, just finished it.

attachment.php

The colours on the 40 pin is just slightly more vibrant, and a hair brighter than the 32 pin.
But the difference is slight:
gtHz1lT.jpg

(32 pin on top)

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yeah, they are 101 screens. It's not a difficult mod, you need an adapter for the ribbon and you have to solder one wire. The hard part is finding the screen, you used to be able to buy them from aliexpress but the supply dried up, and SP 101s are expensive now.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
Ah gotcha. They look super snazzy but think I'll still go for the standard 101 SP for now. Main reason is because of the batteries. I think there is a mod for that, correct...but probably more than I want to get involved with now.

Between a stock SP 101 and my micro I should be good. Down the road though would love to have one of these gbas too though.

How go these screens compare to the standard micro ones? Pretty similar?

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I haven't used a micro since they were new, but iirc the micro screens were a tad better.

The only real advantage to the original design is ergonomics. If I'm actually taking the gameboy somewhere I still use a sp.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Man, I'm spoiled by todays portables, because the screen on the original GBA SPs are dogshit.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
I just recently discovered Donkey Kong for Gameboy. I thought it was just a small version of the original arcade game and much to my surprise and delight it's waaay fucking deeper of a game then i seriously expected. Mario has a lot of unique moves and the fact they added so many different levels puts this as a premier Gameboy title that I'm seriously enjoying. If you somehow missed out on this game, pick it up. You won't be disappointed.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Oh man, DK is one of the best games on the system. I discovered it when it came out on VC then bought the actual cart.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
I just recently discovered Donkey Kong for Gameboy. I thought it was just a small version of the original arcade game and much to my surprise and delight it's waaay fucking deeper of a game then i seriously expected. Mario has a lot of unique moves and the fact they added so many different levels puts this as a premier Gameboy title that I'm seriously enjoying. If you somehow missed out on this game, pick it up. You won't be disappointed.

Best GB game. Up there with Metroid II and Link's Awakening for me. I'm sad my cart doesn't save anymore. :(

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I've got a ton of new save batteries, send it to me.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Another +1 to the awesomeness that is GB Donkey Kong. Also: Don't forget that DK is Super Gameboy enhanced.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
If you like DK GB, don't sleep on Mario Vs. Donkey Kong for GBA. It was originally a remake of DK GB, but it was rebooted into a whole new game. It plays very similar.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
If you like DK GB, don't sleep on Mario Vs. Donkey Kong for GBA. It was originally a remake of DK GB, but it was rebooted into a whole new game. It plays very similar.

Yeah it's pretty good also. I spent a ton of time with that game but I'm looking to revisit it on my Cube with Component. Thanks to Gohan I have a good source on a Super Nes Adapter for the Gamecube to tide me over until I find a Hori pad for a reasonable price.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Probably? I've never had to swap a gba cart but I have two different sizes for gb/gbc, I'd imagine the smaller one would work.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Actually, you might want to open it up and see. I don't have that game, but I opened up a few carts and they all had flash memory, not batteries.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
The gba batteries are a bit harder to change, cause the tabs are all screwy. You're going to want a gba battery, you don't want to have to bend another tabbed battery, there is not much room to mess up.

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
Speaking of batteries, my GBA SP, an NES SP (to be exact), only holds about an hour of a charge right now. It finishes charging in under an hour. Also, I believe the Everdrive's light while flashing a game to the cart is a huge drain on power.

I did open it up a few months ago...not leaking but, kind of hoping the NiCD batteries are cheap/easy to find.

Jon

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
You can still buy sp batteries from Nintendo online, I think. The are plenty of knockoffs on eBay too, but I use those as a last resort.

Also, flash carts are a pretty big drain compared to regular carts, I used to get about three hours of life in my sp with my old Super Card.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Actually, you might want to open it up and see. I don't have that game, but I opened up a few carts and they all had flash memory, not batteries.

Yep, the only games with save batteries versus flash saving are

Baseball Advance
- Boktai 1, 2 and 3 (JP)
- Bomberman Tournament
- Breath of Fire
- Breath of Fire II
- Castlevania: Circle of the Moon
- Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance
- Dragonball Z Collectible Card Game
- Hamtaro: Ham-Ham Heartbreak
- Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land
- Krazy Racers
- Lego Bionicle
- Lego Island 2: The Brickster's Revenge
- MegaMan Battle Network
- MegaMan Zero
- Metroid Fusion (Only some use a battery)
- Metroid Zero Mission
- Monster Rancher Advance
- Monster Rancher Advance 2
- Pokemon Emerald (Not for saving, but for other game events)
- Pokemon Ruby (Not for saving, but for other game events)
- Pokemon Sapphire (Not for saving, but for other game events)
- Super Dodgeball Advance
- Warioland 4

Jarofmayo

Morden's Lackey
Speaking of batteries, my GBA SP, an NES SP (to be exact), only holds about an hour of a charge right now. It finishes charging in under an hour. Also, I believe the Everdrive's light while flashing a game to the cart is a huge drain on power.

I did open it up a few months ago...not leaking but, kind of hoping the NiCD batteries are cheap/easy to find.

Jon
Yeah the everdrive GB really eats up my AA batteries on my gbc.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
The Everdrive doesn't work on a backlit Pocket unless the batteries are totally full. Stupid AAA's.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
Ok guys I need some advice…

So I just bought a Classic NES SP that is modded with a backlit 101 screen. I love everything about the system but there a couple of issues…

1) I noticed the power light doesn't come on when charging…if I remember correctly from my old SP there would be an orange light…
2) When in use, even early-on after charging…the light would change from green to red to green etc frequently.
3) And here is the one that really bugs me - battery lasts for maybe a couple of hours…certainly not more than 3.

So I am just wondering…is this kind of stuff normal with a modded SP? Or should the battery duration life not be greatly reduced even with the 101 screen? From what I remember, my old SP would last for days. And my micro seems to last for weeks.

I couldn't care less about the lights, but I need the battery to last longer. Do I just need to buy a new battery? Or is shitty battery life the price to pay for an awesomely bright backlit screen? I paid a decent amount of money for this system, so want to make sure I didn't some shotty work here.

Last edited: