Game boy Ballers post here

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
ANTUPO7.jpg

Although I'm far from a GB baller, I found these together with my NGPC stuff. I know I have Elevator Action and a few others at my house.

Post your collections. I don't really have anything to play them on. I have a GB player + GC somewhere. I really need a GBASP with backlight.

What games do you guys think held up good over the years, and what hasn't?

I think revenge of the gator hasn't held up well at all, while Double Dragon has held up extremely well. ( I play both on GB VC).

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I really regret selling my Game Boy Light. Eh, it helped with cash back when I was in college.

Even in Japan they're selling for over 10000 Yen when my friends come across one :/ They're not even rare, they were widely released over there.

I'll post later with some pics and faves I guess :)

Oh, obligatory mention that I bought Shantae when it was new, didn't really like it (better tech demo than actual platformer tbh), and sold it complete for the $30 I paid for it a month or two later. Now THAT would have helped in college.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I had a DMG years ago, but it finally got the nasty lines in the screen, so I had to get a new one. Bought this used for like 20 bucks with the bag, had it ever since. Sorry for the large pics.. :/
Spoiler:
XWhj7AN.jpg

And here are my games.
I have played through mostly all of them, except for the JP ones that I recently got. These are what I consider cream of the crop, I had Castlevania Legends, but I think someone took it from me years ago :( Would love to get it back, but not paying what it goes for. Still have the box and manual too.
NpKOcVQ.jpg

oQQtjQC.jpg

eruvrYR.jpg

o.pwuaioc

Crossed Swords Squire
I recently purged about 40 GB/GBC/GBA games from my collection that I just didn't care to play. I found myself not playing games too similar to a better port (like the Mega Man games, although I do eye MMV every now and then).

Here's what I have left:

Spoiler:
Balloon Kid
Castlevania Adventure
Donkey Kong
Final Fantasy Adventure
Gradius: Interstellar Assault
Kid Icarus
Kirby’s Dream Land
Kirby’s Dream Land 2
Kwirk
Metroid II
Mole Mania
Nemesis
Solar Striker
StarHawk
Super Mario Land
Super Mario Land 2
Tetris

I want these further five games:

Batman
Batman: Return of the Joker
Castlevania Adventure II
Ninja Gaiden
Shadow Warrior

GBC

Frogger
Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening DX
Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages
Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons
Mario Tennis
Toki Tori
Wendy: Every Witch Way

GBC Wants

Mario Golf
Rayman 2
Tetris DX

GBA

Castlevania: Circle of the Moon
Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
Gradius Galaxies
Iridion II
Mario Kart Super Circuit
Mega Man Zero
Metroid: Zero Mission
Sonic Advance

GBA Wants

F-Zero Climax
F-Zero Maximum Velocity
Klonoa: Empire of Dreams
Konami Krazy Karts
Ninja Five-O
Rayman 3

Now, maybe I'm missing a couple hidden gems or something, but most of the big names I don't have or don't want I just didn't care for, so out they want.

Last edited:

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Impressive collections guys. I am not sure of what I have exactly, but I know I have a GB case and a couple of games. I'll have to look at my house when I go there on Thurs. and I'll post the rest.

Those GBAs with the nice back lights are ideal for these games, but fuck - at they ever hard to find and expensive.

Edit: Hey-Zeus Christ! $94 for one with a bright backlit screen?!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-Ga...ick-A-Color-/201090920636?hash=item2ed1f3f0bc

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Panda, you still got that DMG? I can fix lines in the screen REALLY easily.

Back when I was a po' boy mowing lawns for cash I bought a GB from a local game shop that was only $25 because it had lines at the edge of the screen. I still played and loved that thing for years and years. I recently (a few years ago) found the thing, still worked but had a few more lines, and I decided to check Google to see what the fix was. It's pretty easy, you just have to reflow some solder in the ribbon cable that connects the screen to the PCB. I then found you could backlight mod them...

attachment.php

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Panda, you still got that DMG? I can fix lines in the screen REALLY easily.

Back when I was a po' boy mowing lawns for cash I bought a GB from a local game shop that was only $25 because it had lines at the edge of the screen. I still played and loved that thing for years and years. I recently (a few years ago) found the thing, still worked but had a few more lines, and I decided to check Google to see what the fix was. It's pretty easy, you just have to reflow some solder in the ribbon cable that connects the screen to the PCB. I then found you could backlight mod them...

attachment.php

Pretty cool there dude. I am a retard when it comes to modding and electronics, otherwise I'd do it myself.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
To be honest it's not the easiest mod to do. The installation is pretty straightforward, but you have to take apart the LCD screen a bit, and there's a 50/50 chance you're going to damage it. Or even if you do it right, there's a pretty good chance you're going to get dirt, fingerprints, or something on it that will bug you forever if you are OCD like me. I got lucky and didn't damage it, used gloves to prevent fingerprints, and cleaned cleaned cleaned it so it came out nice.

At one time I also had a little blue Gameboy Pocket. I LOVED that thing, but lost it a long time ago. I'd kill for a backlit version of it. The GB Boy Colour is close though.

I don't really have a pimp collection, just common loose carts I've picked up over the years, same ones everyone else has. One thing that stands out to me is that although the Gameboy in any iteration before the GBA was never particularly advanced, they were fun and haven't aged much. I can still have a blast with Super Mario Land at any time. Or Tetris. Or Kirby.

Hey Greg, you want an old beat up DMG? I have one of the clear ones that I found in my house when I moved in. I planned on modding it but never got around to it, it still works fine.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
For what it's worth it's possible although involved to get pictures off of a GB Camera, and I mean directly and not scanning the printer's prints or capturing the SGB/GBP with a capture card or anything.

I've set up a SGB with a small CRT at parties as a sort of photobooth and posted the pics later for the guests, it was a hit.

Here's me and the cat (RIP)
10177519_10100229832501065_3611513622884057031_n.jpg

Last edited:

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I have

Game Boy
Game Boy Pocket
Game Boy Light
Game Boy Color w/Frontlight mod
Game Boy Advance
Game Boy Advance SP
Game Boy micro

Super Game Boy 2
Game Boy Player

The SGB2 is the best may to play Game Boy titles, the micro is the best way to play Advance titles. The frontlit SP has wicked ghosting issues and oversaturated colors in comparison to the micro.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
OH are y'all aware of that new homebrew for Game Boy Player that outputs in 240p and has the video output synced to the GB/A's refresh rate rather than doubling frames to match a TV's refresh rate?

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
Greg, am I assuming I inspired this thread?:cool:

Here's my collection again, in case anyone missed it.

gb1.jpg

Teh rarez...

gb2.jpg

TBH, not too happy with that 2nd one. The flash makes them look faded, which they're not.

FYI, Greg, the Final Fantasy Legend/Adventure that you own are all the re-released Sunsoft versions. Not a big deal but, I'm picky about that sort of thing.

Jon

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Isn't Spuds Adventure another game all the nerds cum over because it's rare?

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
Isn't Spuds Adventure another game all the nerds cum over because it's rare?

TBH, yes. Atlus only did one printing of it. It was one of their first games, too.

Is it worth owning? I think it's a pretty fun action/puzzle/RPG game...cute humor with a wacky cast of characters. Is it worth $200 (loose cart...not kidding), no.

BTW, mine was acquired via a trade for my US Magical Chase (game+manual) around 2008.

Jon

kraquepype

Armored Scrum Object
I have

Game Boy
Game Boy Pocket
Game Boy Light
Game Boy Color w/Frontlight mod
Game Boy Advance
Game Boy Advance SP
Game Boy micro

Super Game Boy 2
Game Boy Player

The SGB2 is the best may to play Game Boy titles, the micro is the best way to play Advance titles. The frontlit SP has wicked ghosting issues and oversaturated colors in comparison to the micro.
Thanks for that, I hadn't heard of the SGB2 before.

Only thing I don't like about the SGB is the borders, you can't go full screen. Is the SGB2 the same in that regard?