Game boy Ballers post here

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Damn dude, that is one nice collection. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Sick collection, fenikso!
Hey thanks, guys. Believe it or not the OG Gameboys didn't enter the collection until earlier this year. I bought three broken ones off of eBay and fixed two and a half of them (two seperate auctions). Although, to be honest, one of them that was sold as broken worked perfectly, it's just that the seller didn't know how to work the contrast wheel. Oh how I laughed.

I was a Game Gear guy growing up, so I was a little late to the GB party. Didn't start collecting until after they released the Pocket (that's my original Pocket from when it was released).

Last edited:

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
I was a Game Gear guy growing up

Sorry to hear that.

As I always tell everyone who plays Game Gear, "anything worth playing on that system is better played on the Master System."

Jon

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Game Gear is still my favorite handheld from that generation.

Jarofmayo

Morden's Lackey
Pokemon I always recuse myself from playing...like Atari Jaguar. I actually don't own ANY on OG Game Boy, either.

SMB Deluxe I do need to get...every time I see it (I only collect CIB) the box tends to be in bad shape with humidity damage.

Link's Awakening DX I have but, forgot to mention. It is the original version with the rainbow GBC box.

Game and Watch I do need to check out. Nintendo did GB and GBC versions...though, not sure how many. 3 maybe?

So, is that really it?

Jon
Oh don't forget Kirby Tilt and Tumble. That's another pretty fun gbc game.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Sorry to hear that.

As I always tell everyone who plays Game Gear, "anything worth playing on that system is better played on the Master System."

Jon

The GG Shinobi, Shinobi II: the Silent Fury, Sonic Triple Trouble, Defenders of Oasis, Ninja Gaiden GG, Super Columns?

Sonic Chaos, while on both systems, is better on Game Gear (though Sonic 1 and 2 are way better on SMS).

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
I was glad to see you put Triple Trouble in there. Fuckin great game.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
One of the five best handheld Sonic titles in my book. The others being Sonic Pocket Adventure, Sonic Advance, Sonic Colors DS, and Sonic Rush in whatever order you want.

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
I already have Shantae, Dragon Warriors, the Link Oracle games, Blaster Master, Metal Gear, Shadowgate/Deja Vu, that's about it. The only games I really want are Wendy: Every Witch Way and that Ghosts 'n Goblins port. What else am I missing...seriously?

Besides what others have mentioned:

Survival Kids (brought up earlier in the thread)

Xtreme Sports (I brought this up earlier)

I'm not that crazy, it's made by WayForward, same people as Contra 4 and Wendy: Every Witch Way (which is on your list). It's dirt cheap, even complete, on eBay so you have nothing to lose from checking it out. ;)

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I had no idea Wayforward was that prolific back then, I only knew about Shantae. It seems I only really heard about them relatively recently with their DS/3DS games.

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
I had no idea Wayforward was that prolific back then, I only knew about Shantae. It seems I only really heard about them relatively recently with their DS/3DS games.

They also developed the remastered Duck Tales, Double Dragon Neon, A Boy and His Blob, Contra 4 and several other IP's their parent companies refuse to work on (but should).

I'll have to at least look at the games that were mentioned for GBC on my Everdrive.

Jon

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Oh, I know about those (except for a Boy and His Blob.) Double Dragon Neon is ridiculously awesome.

Jarofmayo

Morden's Lackey
Besides what others have mentioned:

Survival Kids (brought up earlier in the thread)

Xtreme Sports (I brought this up earlier)

I'm not that crazy, it's made by WayForward, same people as Contra 4 and Wendy: Every Witch Way (which is on your list). It's dirt cheap, even complete, on eBay so you have nothing to lose from checking it out. ;)
Gameboy Color definitely has the best sports games for any handheld system. Never knew about this though.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Popped in Robocop and holy shit ! Plays almost like the arcade!

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
Popped in Robocop and holy shit ! Plays almost like the arcade!

I could never get to the second level because of that stupid mini-game you have to win after the first level.

Jon

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Dummy probably cut out the front and rear of the box to fit it in a DS case or something. LAME.

NERDtendo

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
Here's a couple pix of my GBA. I put it in a new shell. Installed glass lens instead of the original scratchtastic plastic lens. Backlit modded. It turned out great. This is my go to system when travelling. I always pack this and my New 3DS XL so I always have something awesome to play.

With the camera flash...

Without the camera flash...

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Which mod did you use on that? I mainly play GBA on my SP because the screen doesn't suck, but the OG GBA is much better for the shoulder buttons for the size of my hands. I've been considering putting one of those backlit screens into the GBA but have heard mixed things with different sources, though maybe that's all been hammered out by now?

NERDtendo

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
I just used a GBA SP 101 screen with a 40 pin adapter cable. Soldered the power to the brighter screen setting. There's a couple different adapter cables now...the original that lets you just wire up one brightness setting (most choose the brightest setting), another one adds a selector switch so you can choose between the high and low setting, and this new one that you solder like 5 wires into and then you can select different brightness levels by pressing 2 buttons (select and one of the shoulder buttons I think). All of the adapters are available on eBay. The other thing you need to make sure of is the type of adapter you need. Some GBA mobos need a 32 pin adapter while others need a 40 pin adapter. All of the listings will give you details to find out which you need for your system.

I have big hands too so I love having the comfortable grip of the OG GBA and the backlight of the SP. Best GameBoy in my arsenal.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Good info, thanks! I gotta dig my OG GBA out, I'm not even sure where it is at this point.